Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any interest in an electric power steering controller (EPSC)?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts

Any interest in an electric power steering controller (EPSC)?

I mentioned in the 2016 resolution thread that I'm looking to bring at least one if not more products to market for the Mirage this year. The first one I started on was the short shifter. Now, I'm testing the waters to see if an electronic power steering controller would be of any interest to you guys.

So, I'm thinking of developing an electric power steering controller for the Mirage. The super light, lack of feel, over assisted, non self centering steering has been a complaint by a fair number of people. This mod would allow you to turn the electric power assist down and even off if you wanted. It should be a pretty simple plug and play deal if I can get my hands on some OEM type connectors. If not, it'll be splicing into a few wires. It would not allow you to boost the existing assist, and I'm not sure anyone here actually would want to do that anyways haha. The mod would let you dial in the exact amount of assist that you want. You could therefore balance road feel with ease of turning the wheel to whatever amount you like. The price of course depends on a lot of things, but lets say $50 for kicks.

Would any of you be interested in that?

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Potentially, yes. Obviously being in the UK shipping may be an issue, but I wouldn't mind if it was say $50+shipping for a kit or, say, $15 for a PDF of the wiring diagram and the components needed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 3 CVT 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Teasmade For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-07-2016)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    while I certainly agree with steering being over-assisted, IMHO the Enasaves are part of the problem. With wider 185/60R14 tires and camber kit it is not nearly as bad as stock.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Why not eliminate the assist? In my opinion, it should not be necessary on this light of a car. It adds unnecessary weight and complexity.

Remove the motor and worm gear altogether?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Why not eliminate the assist? In my opinion, it should not be necessary on this light of a car. It adds unnecessary weight and complexity.

Remove the motor and worm gear altogether?
    With the stock wheels and tires, maybe. With 195 wide tires, it gets cumbersome. When backing out of the driveway, I would sometimes start rolling without powering the car and I wouldn't like it.

People who have wider wheels will tell you that steering feel is acceptable - with the steering actually turning to center by itself. With the stock tires, you have to turn the wheel back to center for the car to go straight after a turn.

But to answer the question, yes. It would be nice to be able to find every person's sweet spot.

Probably not an on/off switch but maybe a Low/Med/High switch?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was thinking a dial adjustment from fully on to fully off or anywhere in between.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I too find the steering feel strange, but you do get used to it. IMO the problem is a dead zone before the assist comes in. I'm not sure if this is a mechanical thing or an electrical/sensor calibration. On mine, you can actually give a rotational impulse to the steering wheel and the wheel will oscillate for a few cycles before stopping; all without invoking any assist or rotation of the road wheels. This will happen at rest, or running down the road.

In a strange way, it almost mimics the steering feel of 60s and 70s american cars.

While hydraulic assist systems use the a spring to modulate the amount of assist, and this can be done in a variety of ways with electric assist, I'm not sure how it's done on our cars.

I'd have some interest if you were reducing the size of the dead zone, but not so much in altering the level of assist,

Michael

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 46.0 mpg (US) ... 19.5 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Bumping. It doesn't really sound like there is any interest. Just want to be sure.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I guess it looks like there is not much interest but I am curious if you could use this device to deactivate the power steering for mpg gains?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You absolutely could use it for mpg gains. I honestly don't think you'll see a huge gain from it unless you do a lot of city and/or low speed driving. But, it definitely could be used for that.