Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local Mitsu dealership not using genuine Mitsu oil

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Local Mitsu dealership not using genuine Mitsu oil

I took my other mitsu product (a 2015 outlander ) for its first oilchabge the other day to find out my local dealership uses valvoline bulk oil, not genuine mitsu oil for thier oil changes.

I have no issue with valvoline, it's actually my preferred brand, but a I the only one to find it odd they would not use mitsu oil?

I understand cost savings would be the biggest factor in their decision, but it's still strange to me.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,573 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TFCfan2021 View Post
    I took my other mitsu product (a 2015 outlander ) for its first oilchabge the other day to find out my local dealership uses valvoline bulk oil, not genuine mitsu oil for thier oil changes.

I have no issue with valvoline, it's actually my preferred brand, but a I the only one to find it odd they would not use mitsu oil?

I understand cost savings would be the biggest factor in their decision, but it's still strange to me.
    As long as the oil they use is within spec for your Outlander you're fine. Now if they're using a oil weight not recommended for your Outlander then that's another matter.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Here is a secret: car manufacturers don't have their own refineries.

The oil they sell at the dealership is simply put into Mitsubishi-branded containers by Castrol or Mobil or whomever and sold at the dealership for a markup anyway.

Not a huge problem and likely very common. I am sure they are charging you for Mitsu-branded oil, and you might raise hell about that.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Is it still synthetic?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Same with the dealer I worked at. It's all about efficiency, and using a gun to put bulk oil in is much quicker than opening up multiple 1L bottles and pouring.

I personally would kind of have a problem with it, if they are offering a "genuine Mitsubishi/any other make oil change" like many do...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Some dealers, at least here in the States, are offering 'free lifetime oil changes' when you purchase a new car.

If they were changing my oil for free, I would definitely not gripe about what oil they were using...especially if it were Valvoline. But if they were charging me $8 a quart for "genuine" OEM oil, then I would say something.

But, as has been said, as long as it is synthetic and the right viscosity there shouldn't be any problem.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    At the mitsu dealer i work at we use bulk quaker state 0-20 full synthetic oil for all the cars unless its turbo then its 0-40 1L bottles of mobile 1 the bulk is very common and still high quality

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Valvoline is garbage. I changed dealers because I found out they used that.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,830 Times in 2,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistah JT View Post
    Valvoline is garbage.
    Why do you say that?

I used to use Castrol but switched to Valvoline based on some reviews and price. I avoid switching brands if possible. I know it sounds silly, but I know the new oil will have the same additives as the old oil, with no compatibility concerns.

Motor oil formulations change, and industry standards have been improving. Oil companies that do not keep up with the standards do not get licensed or certified.

I understand it is best to match the motor oil formula with the car manufacturer requirements, and this goes beyond viscosity.

For example:

From American Petroleum Institute API.org: Look for the Products that Carry the API Quality Marks
    Quote Originally Posted by API
    API-licensed marketers may display two types of Marks: the API Service Symbol "Donut" and the API Certification Mark "Starburst." Each Mark conveys information that can be used by the consumer.
    Here's more reading from motoroilmatters.org, another industry resource.

Quote Originally Posted by How To Identify Quality Motor Oil
    How To Identify Quality Motor Oil
    Learn about standards

When choosing oil for your vehicle, you should always look or ask for API-licensed oil. API has made it easy to find these oils: licensed oils display one or both of the API motor oil quality marks—the API Service Symbol "Donut" and the Certification Mark "Starburst." These marks are part of API's Engine Oil Licensing and Certification System (EOLCS), a voluntary licensing and certification program that authorizes engine oil marketers meeting API requirements to display the API quality marks.

API Service Symbol ''Donut''

The API "Donut" identifies oils that meet current API engine oil standards. It includes the SAE viscosity grade of the oil, API standards met by the oil, and other important performance parameters.

• The top of the "Donut" displays the motor oil's API performance standard. The letter "S" followed by another letter (API SN) refers to oil suitable for gasoline engines, and the letter "C" followed by another letter and number (API CJ-4) refers to oil suitable for diesel engines.

• The center of the "Donut" shows the motor oil's SAE viscosity grade. Viscosity is the measure of an oil's ability to flow at certain temperatures.

• The bottom of the "Donut" tells whether the motor oil has resource-conserving properties when compared with a reference oil in an engine test. Motor oils labeled as "Resource Conserving" have passed this test.

API Certification Mark ''Starburst''

The API "Starburst" signifies oils which meet the latest International Lubricant Specification Advisory Committee (ILSAC) standard. The ILSAC standards are developed by vehicle and engine manufacturers, oil and additive companies and industry trade associations such as API, ACC, ASTM and SAE. These oils provide engine protection while also delivering improved fuel economy and emission system protection.
    According to Wikipedia:
    The latest API service standard designation is SN for gasoline automobile and light-truck engines.
    Current API starburst symbol motor oils are ILSAC GF-5 (since 2010/2011.)
    Last edited by Eggman; 01-22-2016 at 07:54 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Why do you say that?

I used to use Castrol but switched to Valvoline based on some reviews and price. I avoid switching brands if possible. I know it sounds silly, but I know the new oil will have the same additives as the old oil, with no compatibility concerns.
    Simple. My dad works on cylinder heads. The ones that come in with the most burnt thick black oil is valvoline.
    It's also the fastest to become black in the cars that I have owned. Even in my brand new mirage, less than 5000 and it is half black. Flushed it out, put Penrite and is now beyond 10,000 and is still gold in colour. I haven't changed the way I drive, and I know dragging it to red line doesn't help oil, but shows the quality difference between two companies.

Also Mitsubishi's contract oil is Castrol over here. I questioned the dealer I stopped using why they would use an oil that isn't what Mitsubishi suggest. I won't say to anyone else don't use it. I just won't touch the stuff again. Especially when Penrite is available over here, and is one of the best you can buy, and it has been tested by a lot of different companies and comes out on top.