Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who would be interested in an alternative rear sway bar option?

Talking to a product manager from a different car company, I was told ANY non-OEM suspension changes will void the warranty of the related parts (but not the rest of the car).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

cyclopathic (01-31-2016),Daox (01-23-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ah, makes sense. I actually forgot that I had asked my dealer before buying if aftermarket parts would void the warrranty, and he said the same thing (if the problem isn't related to the mod, it would still be covered under warranty). But still, I wouldn't want to lose that part of my warranty so I'm out until the warranty is up in 4 years.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Mitsubishi have long used components straight from the parts bin in the manufacture of their cars. I'm wondering if something for, say, the previous generation colt/lancer would fit?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 3 CVT 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Teasmade For This Useful Post:

cyclopathic (01-24-2016)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ednevell View Post
    Will their sway rust too?
    not sure. how and where did your ultra racing bar rusted anyway?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gunlak View Post
    not sure. how and where did your ultra racing bar rusted anyway?
    It is rusting near the welds where the bracing circle is welded to the bar itself. I dont think its in danger of failure but white with rust looks nasty. Maybe I just got a bar with a weak coat of paint. I will say this, it has made the car feel safer on the highway and around town while I beat this car a little. LOL

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Me personally, I am gonna drive it sloppy for awhile as it is teaching me better pedal control (smoothness of clutch?). Each car I've owned taught me something. My first car, 93 del sol, taught me the basics of fwd and normal racing technique. My second car, 06 ap2 s2000, taught me drift and speed. My current car, 05 subaru sti, taught me speed and grip, and now my second car (my new daily), a 2015 mirage, is teaching me smoothness. If you come off the clutch too hard the whole car shifts to the rear and changing gears is worse as the car rocks forward when you press the clutch and rocks back when you let off again. Its kind of like being on a boat, so by keeping the stock suspension for awhile I can teach myself to be smoother in my transitions.

However, once I feel I have learned what the sloppy suspension can teach me, I would be looking for aftermarket parts. I already know tein makes a coil-over kit for about 650 USD plus shipping. This is planned for the future. Hopefully there will be front and rear swaybar options by this time, hardier sway bar end links (preferable spherical), front and rear strut tower bars, and chassis bracing.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Alright guys, I've contacted The Progress Group. They make a bunch of suspension components for different vehicles. I asked if they'd be interested in making a rear sway bar for the Mirage. From the looks of things on their site, similar sway bars sell for about $165.

Their reply to my email was to share a link to the forum that shows interest in having a rear sway bar made. I am going to give them the link to this thread. Based off what we have now, I wouldn't even think about making a bar for the Mirage. There just isn't enough interest. I really hope that isn't the case. So, assuming a price of $165 (which is a guess based off what I've seen on their site), would you be interested in buying a rear sway bar? If we don't have a group of people to get this started, it likely won't happen.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Alright guys, I've contacted The Progress Group. They make a bunch of suspension components for different vehicles. I asked if they'd be interested in making a rear sway bar for the Mirage. From the looks of things on their site, similar sway bars sell for about $165.

Their reply to my email was to share a link to the forum that shows interest in having a rear sway bar made. I am going to give them the link to this thread. Based off what we have now, I wouldn't even think about making a bar for the Mirage. There just isn't enough interest. I really hope that isn't the case. So, assuming a price of $165 (which is a guess based off what I've seen on their site), would you be interested in buying a rear sway bar? If we don't have a group of people to get this started, it likely won't happen.
    I'd definitely be interested!! I would definitely buy one.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Group buy? Would make it easier for them if they have a dozen lined up.

Anyone in LA area to provide them with car for testing?
    Last edited by cyclopathic; 01-25-2016 at 11:07 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think, considering the simplicity of the design, that $100 to $150 is reasonable.

The best would be if someone were to draft this using CAD software, that way we could all just take that design to a local welder and get this done on our own dime. The DIY intake folks here put together a 3D printed MAF housing, I think we could do something similar with this. How awesome would it be for the Mirage aftermarket to strive for a degree of "open source" accessibility?