Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Who would be interested in an alternative rear sway bar option?

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HitShane View Post
    I don't know how long you plan on having your car, but you could always paint the bar to protect it further. I know one guy's rusted through the weld and UR replaced the bar free of charge after 3 years.
    I plan to keep it forever. Once I graduate and get my CPA I'll turn my Mirage into a rally or touring car. The three year warrenty sounds great, I wonder if they fixed their rust problem by just giving the bar a thicker coat.

Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    I plan to keep it forever. Once I graduate and get my CPA I'll turn my Mirage into a rally or touring car. The three year warrenty sounds great, I wonder if they fixed their rust problem by just giving the bar a thicker coat.
    You sound like my son. He graduates in May and decided to drive across states in his Mirage... About 14k trip as it stands.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    I wonder if they fixed their rust problem by just giving the bar a thicker coat.
    I wonder how they fixed this too. Keeping paint on metal meant to flex is difficult. I doubt a thicker coat of paint is going to help it stick.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I wonder how they fixed this too. Keeping paint on metal meant to flex is difficult. I doubt a thicker coat of paint is going to help it stick.
    It's not paint, it's a powder coat. Applications are used extensively in the automotive industry. You could buy the entire set and have it further coated along with an underbody protective coating for your vehicle since you plan on keeping it so long.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HitShane View Post
    It's not paint, it's a powder coat.
    Paint or powdercoat, take you pick. With either one, it's still difficult to keep either coating on a flexible part.

I'm not a fan of powdercoating.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    If a quality job is done its a non-issue. Look at OEM springs for cars. They flex more than a sway bar does I'd imagine and those hold their paint very well.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

HitShane (02-20-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Look at OEM springs for cars. They flex more than a sway bar does I'd imagine and those hold their paint very well.
    I don't know - I've seen some pretty rusty springs.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If a quality job is done its a non-issue. Look at OEM springs for cars. They flex more than a sway bar does I'd imagine and those hold their paint very well.
    If you google anything about suspension and springs you will find over and over to get quality powder coated hardware over painted or the paint will chip and they will rust.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I live in the rust belt where salt is used on the roads a ton. I've also worked on my fair share of cars for friends and family over the past decade plus. Rusty springs are the least of anyone's problems IMO.

I'm definitely not saying its never an issue, I just don't think its a big one. The boisterous people on google are probably not the majority. They're just being heard/seen because they are having problems. We're not seeing the vast majority who don't have issues.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

bzacon (12-12-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I live in the rust belt where salt is used on the roads a ton. I've also worked on my fair share of cars for friends and family over the past decade plus. Rusty springs are the least of anyone's problems IMO.

I'm definitely not saying its never an issue, I just don't think its a big one. The boisterous people on google are probably not the majority. They're just being heard/seen because they are having problems. We're not seeing the vast majority who don't have issues.
    I agree that it's not the biggest worry. I suppose, if one shells out a premium for what is a bar of spring steel, there is an expectation of quality. The one example that sticks out for me, on this board, was taken care of (replaced) by the vendor - so that's nice.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

HitShane (02-20-2016)