Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting used snows, any pitfalls? Or let's see if I have this right.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Getting used snows, any pitfalls? Or let's see if I have this right.

Backstory:

in 2016 I bought a set of steel wheels and snow tires from Walmart. They put the snows on the rims and the rims on the car. My alloy wheels were returned to me in bags with the Enersaves still mounted.

The car was totalled and my steel wheels and snow tires were scrapped. Fast forward. I now have a 2017 with steel wheels and Enersaves. I need snow tires.

I found new snow tires on Accent steels wheels which might fit. Can I just mount these and go? What about TPMS?

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Backstory:

in 2016 I bought a set of steel wheels and snow tires from Walmart. They put the snows on the rims and the rims on the car. My alloy wheels were returned to me in bags with the Enersaves still mounted.

The car was totalled and my steel wheels and snow tires were scrapped. Fast forward. I now have a 2017 with steel wheels and Enersaves. I need snow tires.

I found new snow tires on Accent steels wheels which might fit. Can I just mount these and go? What about TPMS?
    That's a good question.

Aside from tire size, do you know the bolt circle diameter and the center bore size of the Accent wheels? Are the wheels called 'Accent' or are they from a Hyundai Accent? If from a Hyundai, what year? Their dimensions can be looked up with some reliability.

The Mirage has a bolt circle pattern of 4 x 100mm and it's center bore size is 56.1mm. So long as the bolt circle pattern matches and the center bore is no smaller than 56.1mm the rims will bolt up.

As far as interference, you'd have to check. Sometimes that's best done on the car and the weight on the wheels on the ground, not up in the air.

TPMS will take a different approach. If you are able to use two different sets of TPMS sensors with your Mirage, let us know how.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The wheels are from a Hyundai Accent. I found out the bore size is smaller on the Accent wheel. It's 54mm. Too bad, it was a good deal.

Thinking about this Walmart handed my Enersaves back intact and told me I could do the swap come the spring or they could. Whatever I preferred. In other words, just unbolt the winters, slap on the summers and go. Doesn't that mean I have working TPMS in both sets of wheels?

In any event, I shopped around and my local Walmart has enough of a sale that buying used makes no sense. By the time I buy used and get them remounted or rebalanced, fix possible tpms issues and whatnot there's no real savings.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Doesn't that mean I have working TPMS in both sets of wheels?
    That's another good question. What did your TPMS warning light do when you switched between tire sets - did you ever get any warning indication?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    That's another good question. What did your TPMS warning light do when you switched between tire sets - did you ever get any warning indication?
    That's the problem. The car was totalled with the snows on so I never had a chance to mount the alloys.

Anyone know of a definitive way to determine if you have TPMS sensors in a wheel short of dismounting it?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    ...bought a set of steel wheels and snow tires from Walmart.
    ...They put the snows on the rims and the rims on the car.
    ...My alloy wheels were returned to me in bags with the Enasaves still mounted.
    Just curious...

After Walmart put the steel wheels and snow tires on your car in 2016, did your TPMS warning light come on when you drove the car?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Just curious...

After Walmart put the steel wheels and snow tires on your car in 2016, did your TPMS warning light come on when you drove the car?
    No, everything was fine. That's why I'm so surprised reading about the issues with TPMS and seasonal wheels.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    No, everything was fine.
    Walmart must have removed the TPMS sensors from your alloy wheels and installed them in the steel wheels. That's the only way your TPMS light would have remained off.

So if you still have your old alloy wheels/Enasaves sitting in your garage, they almost certainly don't have TPMS sensors in them. If you were thinking that you could use the TPMS sensors from your old Mirage in your current car, you can't...unless you have the dealership reprogram the computer to recognize the old sensors. This costs about $100 in the US.

Anyone know of a definitive way to determine if you have TPMS sensors in a wheel short of dismounting it?
    There are tools out there that can test for the presence of a TPMS sensor in a wheel...without dismounting the tire. Some tools can even tell you the state of the battery in the TPMS sensor and the ID number of the sensor. Any decent tire shop will be able to do this for you. It takes about 1 minute per wheel. Most shops may not even charge you to do a quick check.

If you get a second set of wheels/snow tires, you will want to have your existing TPMS sensors installed into the second set of wheels (if you want to keep your TPMS light off during the winter). But if/when you change back to your non-winter wheels/tires, you will have to change the sensors back into those wheels.

The best solution for having 2 sets of wheels/tires that won't turn on the TPMS warning light is this...

Purchase 4 new TPMS sensors that can be "cloned" to contain the same 4 ID numbers that your current TPMS sensors have. That way you can swap the wheels back/forth and your car's computer will always see the same 4 sensor IDs.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    And don't mix them!

Which makes me wonder what would happen if there were duplicate sensor IDs?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Walmart must have removed the TPMS sensors from your alloy wheels and installed them in the steel wheels. That's the only way your TPMS light would have remained off.

If you get a second set of wheels/snow tires, you will want to have your existing TPMS sensors installed into the second set of wheels (if you want to keep your TPMS light off during the winter). But if/when you change back to your non-winter wheels/tires, you will have to change the sensors back into those wheels.

The best solution for having 2 sets of wheels/tires that won't turn on the TPMS warning light is this...

Purchase 4 new TPMS sensors that can be "cloned" to contain the same 4 ID numbers that your current TPMS sensors have. That way you can swap the wheels back/forth and your car's computer will always see the same 4 sensor IDs.
    Thanks so much for the detailed explanation. A lot of what you say is what I suspected but wasn't certain about.

So if Walmart did move my sensors from my alloys to my steel snows that meant they dismounted my alloys, removed the sensors and mounted the tires back on my alloys. I wonder, would Walmart have bothered balancing my alloys since they technically need dismounting again to have my sensors from my steel snows installed? If they didn't balance my alloys wouldn't they be way out of spec due to missing the TPMS sensor and the random position on the alloy wheel?

That seems like a lot of additional work for a tire shop. I know they can mount a tire in 30 seconds but ask them to mount a single tire, around here at least, and you are a $20 bill lighter.

I'm also sure lots of customers would be howling after choosing to mount their alloys themselves in the spring only to find a TPMS error, call Walmart and get told they need an appointment to come in and have R&R done on the sensors.

It's interesting that both Walmarts, the original and the Falls never mentioned anything about sensors and wheels potentially causing computer errors if I didn't bring the car back for the switch.

My garage is full of crap otherwise I'd pull Shelby in and put a single alloy on to see what happens.

edit: I found my original bill. No charges other than $14/wheel to install and balance and a $3.55 environmental fee. Nothing about sensors.

Last edited by Wallythacker; 12-12-2017 at 02:46 PM.