Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spectre Intake?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    I have a Short Ram Intake setup for that nice induction sound and the washable feature of the pod filter to save costs in the long run.

I noticed with my butt dyno that I lost some mid range power around 3-4k rpm as per the facts that are posted everywhere. though it gave a kick at 4.5k to 6k. going from 100kph to 120kph quicker when i'm hooning in the morning to get to the 170kph top speed.

I also read somewhere in our local mirage group that a cold air intake (with the funnel outside) didn't gave any gains.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Or, you could go all out and make up a fancy intake that is vacuum actuated to pull air from two different sources, hot and cold. At low manifold vacuum near WOT (wide open throttle), it would switch to cold air. But, for higher vacuum (lower engine loads), it switches to the hot air. OEMs have done this on production vehicles.
    You are right, its nothing new. I bought a CJ7 used with a bunch of emission controls and other items removed. I began to restore these items, including the intake air heater hose. Cheap to repair, big difference in operation. That 258 warmed up much faster with that back on - super nice in the winter. If I recall, it's damper was pneumatically operated and controlled by engine temperature alone.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    namco: I can tell you are quite serious about your cars and their performance.

In my view, these are cheap economy cars. While it is fun to get more out of them, they just aren't built for speed.

If I wanted a performance car I wouldn't spend my money on one of these. To me, their performance is in their economy.
    I already own an 2005 subaru impreza wrx sti. But I wanted a cheap car to mess with. My plans for the mirage is custom turbo, rims and tires, suspension, exhaust, and audio. I'm going to make a badass little hatchy using the oem motor. Down the road i plan to buy the motor via crate and spec out the sizes, then do a full build to mate with a turbo. Yes, i am a serious car guy I don't bash on those who prefer to stay eco, I think that's cool in its own way. But I guarantee this car has potential. I was gonna get a yaris but my local dealers jacked the price up because of demand, so instead of 12k for a yaris they wanted 17k! Huge leap in price. The yaris motor is build from factory with a turbo setup in mind, but comes without for eco reasons. But the specs show at 8 lbs of boost it should make nearly doubt the hp (120 to around 240) just from a proper turbo install with a proper tune.

As far as the MAF sensor goes, sure you need a tune to go bigger but it isn't as involved as people think. A piggy back ecu can do this no issue, not to mention aftermarket ecus that can retain most oem functions.

Long story short i have big plans for my mirage.

Last edited by namco; 02-03-2016 at 10:49 PM.