Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spectre Intake?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Spectre Intake?

Curious, has anyone has used the advance auto/AutoZone spectre universal intake kit?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I didn't see anything specific for the Mirage. So it really wouldn't be much easier than fabricating your own.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Check the posts Daox made a housing for MAF sensor.

Issue is that MAF is builtin into OEM airbox, so you can't just replace it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nope. Pipe is pipe when making your own. Spectre includes a bad filter though. Buy a better one. Will need a custom MAF housing though, which can be found here: http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...custom-intakes

Reviews and installs here: http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...om-air-intakes

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 51.2 mpg (US) ... 21.8 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Going to most likely going to purchase that maf housing and go from there, I was looking around for a aftermarket housing until I realized there really wasn't one out there. Nice that there is one for sale on here, are they still in stock?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I print them per order. So, order away.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    http://www.spectreperformance.com/se...spx?prod=87051

Spectre makes a 3" MAF housing..... although its 3", the inside is like 2.75? which I realize is pretty big for our little engine....

If I am not mistaken, DENSO sells a unit as well that has the same bolt pattern.

Most MAF sensors are the same even though its a different motor, I am sure if someone took the MAF sensor number and cross referenced to other cars we'd find a match somewhere, along with aftermarket pipes that would work.

To me, the MAF sensor bolt pattern looks to be the same as my subaru.... I think once my subaru is no longer buried in snow, I might compare them to see.....

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The pipe diameter needs to be the same as the stock diameter or it will throw off the MAF readings.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    The pipe diameter needs to be the same as the stock diameter or it will throw off the MAF readings.
    Then what would be the benefit to changing this?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The benefit of a MAF sensor housing is being able to make your own custom intake which you can tune to the car. The MAF housing needs to stay the same as stock or it will alter the readings of the sensor. However, unless you're somehow flowing a lot more air than stock, the MAF sensor housing is not a restriction in the intake track. There is no need to increase the cross sectional area to flow more air. In my MAF sensor housing development thread, I calculated that the 2" tubing was plenty big enough for the Mirage's 1.2L engine, and a 12" secton only restricted power by about .2% at 6500 rpm and WOT. At anything less than that the losses are less.

IMO, reducing the pipe diameter and/or lengthening the intake pipe would be what I would do to make a custom intake.