Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Adding Sound Dampening (DIY instructions, with photos)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    So what other types of insulation are out there that are not tar based? Well, one MIGHT be able to squeeze some home roof insulation (that is either fiberglass based or the ground up paper based insulation) in between the headliner and the roof. A layer of silicon on the inside door skins may help to decrease resonations in the doors.
    I'd just use Dow "grate stuff" foam spray on insulation, but it may get messy and you need to practice to see how much to apply. This stuff expands as it dries out, and it sticks so you don't really want it anywhere near window or door mechanisms.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleartec View Post
    I would like to do such a job but you need to remove the whole floor which is not going to happen in the nearest future
    Why do you think ours is on waiting list?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Software Engineer
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    I'd just use Dow "grate stuff" foam spray on insulation, but it may get messy and you need to practice to see how much to apply. This stuff expands as it dries out, and it sticks so you don't really want it anywhere near window or door mechanisms.
    That's the perfect idea! There's some seriously large gaping holes in the back under the panels, next to the strut mounts, that resonate like hell, and the hole is far to small to get a hand in their to put something in. Some spray on foam might work in there...

Anyways, I plan on updating the first post today with progress, and pictures.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 51.7 mpg (US) ... 22.0 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 62.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BRagland View Post
    That's the perfect idea! There's some seriously large gaping holes in the back under the panels, next to the strut mounts, that resonate like hell, and the hole is far to small to get a hand in their to put something in. Some spray on foam might work in there...

Anyways, I plan on updating the first post today with progress, and pictures.
    I've toyed with idea and for large gaps you might wanna use paper or trash bags and masking tape to seal space. Should hold it enough for spray to dry out. BUT it will be messy.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    You may want to look at this thread:

How to do some noise dampening

Software Engineer
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Updated with some pictures for the rear. Working on the front half tomorrow.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 51.7 mpg (US) ... 22.0 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 62.0 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BRagland For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-29-2016)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    The Mirage is noisy. Noisiest car I've ever owned. I have to turn up the radio very loud if I want to be able to make out what they are saying. Apart from that minor inconvenience I quite enjoy the racket.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BRagland View Post
    Updated with some pictures for the rear. Working on the front half tomorrow.
    With the rears we also put some P&S in part of the door facing wheel wells as tire road noise is coming through there. Also put some on plastic door skins, they generate some noise too. Also internal facing door frame metal is source of noise, it amplifies vibration.

And last but not least tapping fingers on surface you are working on gives good indication on were/how much more you need to put good luck.

Software Engineer
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Finally finished up the front end. Talk about a back killer!

Went for a few test rides, with one of those decibel apps from the Google Play Store.

Here's what I saw over the course of a 10 minute, timed trial, on the same flat-ish 15 mile stretch of rural two-lane highway.

Before Sound Dampening
    Speed Average Decibels
    45mph 65db
    55mph 70db
    65mph 74db

After Sound Dampening
    Speed Average Decibels
    45mph 55db
    55mph 63db
    65mph 70db

The interesting part, is that the sound dampening is amazing at slower speeds. Extremely quiet. However, it became much less effective at higher speeds.

I think, looking back, that is sounds about 2/3 quieter at speeds 55 mph and under (to what my ear can hear, not the app) but at 65mph and over, it only sounds about 1/3 quieter. It's less than expected at higher speeds, and more than expected at moderate speeds.

When driving out my driveway, it was so quiet (except the engine, of course...) that I couldn't hear the tires on the pavement, which is usually obvious as I have these HUGE bumps (crappy driveway). I was immediately thinking: Mercedez-Benz quiet.

However, having ridden in a Mercedez, this ain't nothing as quiet as a Mercedez, and probably never can be. BUT: It was worth it, somewhat.

Since most of my time is spent at speeds under 55mph, the experience is greatly improved. For those times I go on the freeway, it's a help, but no "game-changer"

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRagland For This Useful Post:

Daox (02-01-2016),mitsumi (02-01-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Makes sense. I recall seeing graphs from Nokian and at 60MPH and under 80% of noise were tires rest wind.

Looks like at highway speeds engine noise becomes more prominent.