Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mirage is a "buy with your head, not with your heart" type of car. Too bad.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I bought the Mirage because I liked the way that it looked. I already took care of the crappy stereo and speakers and in the spring I will take care of the suspension and wheels. I always loved the look of a simple, cheap car with some modifications. It reminds me of the old Civics, Accents and Tercels from the 90's.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gnarles2 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (01-28-2016)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Many cars look good from different angles, i guess many people just don't like that little one line grill. I think the Lexus LFA has a similar line on the front and people don't like that. To me hatchbacks look all the same except for the front. I did buy the mirage mostly on rational decisions, mpg, cheap, and I needed a car.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    A bit of both (head and heart) for me.

My 7-year-old daughter actually loves the mirage, she wants the plasma purple one when she is old enough to drive.

And I have happy memories of the Mirage I bought new 16 years ago, which is my favourite out of all the cars I've owned (I've owned about 12 cars over the years).

But head comes into it as well. I love the practicality and economy and the purchase price was unbeatable.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Okay haven't posted in a while but when you look at both side by side the Mirage does have a better style in my mind. Micra has that bubble look to it, like cobrajet said the pt cruiser vibe to it. The bonus side I enjoy is the comfort and the fuel economy. Most of my driving is highway and its more than adequate power wise.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wasversa For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (01-30-2016)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    It has great fuel efficiency because it is as basic as it can get

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    Many cars look good from different angles, i guess many people just don't like that little one line grill. I think the Lexus LFA has a similar line on the front and people don't like that. To me hatchbacks look all the same except for the front. I did buy the mirage mostly on rational decisions, mpg, cheap, and I needed a car.
    Fiat 500 has similar mailslot design complemented by chrome trim and round retro headlights:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    I wouldn't go to call Mirage an ugly car, but it is a blunt and not really attractive. Still lightyears better than 2016 Prius.

"Pretty" sells, for sure. When Hyundai redesigned Sonata in 2009 sales went up by 64%.
    The '16 Civic is uglier. Look at this fat beast!

Name:  2016_honda_civic_toring.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  95.3 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    The '16 Civic is uglier. Look at this fat beast!

Name:  2016_honda_civic_toring.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  95.3 KB
    It has kinda grown a little bit. Looks kinda like a Sonata.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My girlfriend fell in love at first sight. She used to have a blue Festiva and this was the closest thing she could find. She wanted a small efficient hatchback and this fit the bill. I had been researching these for myself when her car started having issues and forced the issue.

We went to look at these. She wanted a manual and the only ones available were white. She specifically didn't want a white, black, or red car. I think the red in these looks really good. She saw the Sapphire Blue sitting on the lot in an automatic and wanted that color immediately. So we test drove the white and she liked it but wanted that car in blue. Her old and much loved Festiva was also blue so that was the big reason for this. She signed on the line and had a blue one a few days later.

We both agreed that the white was a better option than the plasma purple. I guess there is something for everyone and that is why they have all the different colors.

One of the more fair reviews I read on the Mirage made the comment that they loved the vibrant colors and wished more cars come in colors like Kermit the frog and such. I guess this is a selling point for some but I like the nice cherry red color, silver, and dark gray ones although I also like the blue. See http://jalopnik.com/2014-mitsubishi-...iew-1472224538

Anyway, I really like the fuel efficient 3 cylinder as I am a Geo Metro guy but like the fact that these use variable valve timing and have a nice broad torque curve. I find the responsiveness of this car quite nice. I see lots of reviews bash on the power and figure they drove the automatic. I never even touched one so don't know. My GF hates timing belts since her old car had one and was an interference engine so likes the fact these use a chain.

Conor

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cwatkin For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (02-03-2016),cyclopathic (02-03-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Conor - so your GF bought a 2015 Mirage in white with a 5-speed stick? Good choice. I'm researching these cars - I sat in one in July of 2014 and thought the front space for the driver and front passenger seemed too small for me. I had just sat in the 2014 Kia Rio sedan and thought the same of that, too, so I told the salesman I wasn't interested in it.

We ended up buying a 2011 Kia Soul in white with 5-speeds and I love it. But something about this little buzzbomb Mitsubishi Mirage interests me - and I do like the remodel for 2017, too. Though I'd pass on the GT model because it only comes with an automatic tranny. I look forward to seeing your updates on how you guys like your Mirage on here.