Thread: Nissan Versa sedan vs. Note and Mirage G4 sedan. Can Mirage G4 sell like Versa?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Nissan Versa sedan vs. Note and Mirage G4 sedan. Can Mirage G4 sell like Versa?

Name:  2015-nissan-versa-sedan-front-static-600-001.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  38.9 KB

http://www.torquenews.com/1080/nearly-half-all-nissan-versa-sales-are-note-models

When we asked Nissan for the breakdown of Versa sales, we were surprised to find out that the all-new Versa Note makes up nearly half of those sales figures despite this being its first year on the market.

The Nissan Versa is the best-selling subcompact car in the United States. It outsells most competitors several times over. It's combination of value, economy, and versatility makes it the subject of top picks on "best of" lists throughout the automotive press. When fellow Torque News journalist John Goreham asked me how Versa sales break down, I went to Nissan to find out and was amazed at what was learned.

Nissan told me that the breakdown for the year-to-date sales (January 1 to July 31, 2014) for the Versa line is about 64,700 units. About 59 percent of those are Versa Sedan models and about 41 percent of them are Notes; breaking down to about 26,600 Notes and 38,100 Sedans. We are rounding the numbers a bit for simplicity here.
    Looks like torque has some math issues 41% vs 59% is 1.5:1 not "nearly half".

Given that G4 will have more space than subcompact sedans like Fiesta, iA, etc, better MPG and price, do you think it would outsell hatch by 50%?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-29-2016)

Mitsu USA is playing it conservative, saying the Mirage sedan will only add "incremental" sales to the Mirage total.

What's more interesting: I wonder if they'll break down the sales figures for us (ie. sedan vs. hatch). Nissan does not distinguish between Versa sedan & Versa Note hatch in its monthly numbers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I got impression that Versa sedan buyers are actually Civic, Corolla, Focus, Elantra, etc buyers who were looking for cheaper alternative. If G4 is roomier than hatchback as cheap and better equipped than Versa, it should sell?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Versa tally dominating the subcompact segment in the U.S.

TTAC just posted an interesting look at the Versa, because it's seriously bucking the trend in car sales in the U.S.:

• So far this year, passenger car sales (vs. truck/SUV/crossover) volume is down 8 percent in the United States.
    • Yet Versa sales have been on the rise for the last seven years.
    • Most Versas sold in the U.S. are the sedan version (~60%)
    • Versa outsells its next 2 closest competitors combined

Full article:

Subcompact Cars Are Dying, Yet Nissan Is Selling Five-Year-Old Versas Like They’re Crossovers or Something

HOW?
    What’s the difference? Why does the Versa succeed when its rivals are fading and industry observers conclude that consumers are done with subcompacts? Why has the Versa thrived when some rivals are giving up and many others don’t even bother with the segment in North America?
    Mitsu's marketing strategy for the G4 sedan is the opposite of Nissan's: the "budget" Mirage is the hatchback body style, whereas the Versa sedan is cheaper than the Versa Note.

It'll be interesting to find out what the ratio of sedans vs. hatchbacks is for the Mirage now that it's been on sale for a little while.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I test drove the Versa sedan SV trim and the Versa Note SR last Saturday...I thought the cvt would be awful. It wasnt. Nissan has made some improvements to it. I was impressed with both cars. They were both reasonably fun to drive and decent all around. It gives me pause when I was considering a Mirage. I currently have a Mini Cooper and I am leaning towards the Versa, but I would prefer manual transmission and that can only be had on the base Versa S models.

The Versa and Mirage actually use the same CVT. JATCO CVT-7. There are probably tuning/programming differences though.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IwantaMirage View Post
    I test drove the Versa sedan SV trim and the Versa Note SR last Saturday...I thought the cvt would be awful. It wasnt. Nissan has made some improvements to it. I was impressed with both cars. They were both reasonably fun to drive and decent all around. It gives me pause when I was considering a Mirage. I currently have a Mini Cooper and I am leaning towards the Versa, but I would prefer manual transmission and that can only be had on the base Versa S models.
    What is wrong with your Mini? Why don't you keep it for another 5 years?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    What is wrong with your Mini? Why don't you keep it for another 5 years?
    Good question, I get bored with cars quickly and want something different...not a good reason. The Mini requires premium fuel though and i get 37 mpg, I think I can do better with a Mirage or a Versa or even a Spark. I love small cars. They fascinate me.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    !
    Quote Originally Posted by IwantaMirage View Post
    Good question, I get bored with cars quickly and want something different...not a good reason. The Mini requires premium fuel though and i get 37 mpg, I think I can do better with a Mirage or a Versa or even a Spark. I love small cars. They fascinate me.
    Yeah but the amount you save on gas is nothing compared to the hit you take on replacing 2 year old car with brand new.

Mirage is a crude car built to a different price point, and you feel it when you get in. Similarly Versa and Spark aren't gonna look favorably when compared to Mini.

tidbit: hatch vs. G4 sedan Canada sales

June:

the Mirage G4, accounting for over 10 per cent of Mirage’s total sales
    http://www.mitsubishi-motors-pr.ca/c...eries-commence

July:

During the month of July 2016, 31 of the 184 (16.8%) Mirage units sold across the country had four doors.
    https://www.auto123.com/en/news/2017...rage-g4/62723/