Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chrysler / Dodge to sell rebadged Mirage (Attitude?) in the US?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is actually the whole reason GM sold the Metro back in the day. GM lost money on every Metro they sold, but it allowed them to sell a lot more (highly profitable) Tahoes and Suburbans without paying a hefty fine to the government.

Good point to recall - I know of this but haven't thought about it for a while. Mitsubishi should be very careful and prudent regarding their relationship with Dodge/Chrysler/Fiat. Seriously - but it's fuel for fodder discussion for enthusiast's like us. BTW - that Chrysler 100 is hot - that is more my style, actually, than the Mitsubishi Mirage, though Mitsu has made that interesting for me with the cool 2017 re-design.

Lots going on and lots at stake. Sergio wants production and results beyond the Ram pickups and Jeeps. Cars like this 100 should sell in NA but this nation is in love with the pickup truck and Jeeps - including the SUV Jeeps. I hope the 100 comes out but this new Mirage for 2017 is right square in the middle of my radar. Steven Mitsubishi in Wichita is selling some 2015 (even 2016's too I think) Mirage's for $11,500. I don't see how a person can go wrong with that, if they like the Mirage.

The car sure gets run through the mud by American car writers. Ridiculous - Mitsubishi engineering is as sound as a pound, actually.

It is possible that FCA will co-develop replacements with Mitsu, since both were looking for partners for aging 200 and Lancer, and both use shared components.

This would make sense, Nissan and Mitsubishi were gonna combine on a sedan, too, but that is no longer going to happen. Mitsubishi's CEO wants to produce SUV's and the i-MiEV and the Mirage, period, and some hybrid SUV's, according to the latest interview I read. It was in late December 2015 - early January 2016. They don't want to shake the dice too much, is what that says to me. Go at their strengths. To those of us who like the Mirage, that is a wonderful thing, huh?

Also, parent Mitsubishi and Mitsubishi Automotive love it when those on Edmunds.com and assorted American carsites continuously pound down Mitsubishi and try to call their demise. Goofy - I just comment on what I've read - Mitsubishi has no intention of leaving the U.S. car market. The Mirage just solidifies this fact for them. And us.

Last edited by Mitsuman; 02-04-2016 at 09:11 PM.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I am guessing Mitsubishi US will be against this. After all they don't want to sell Mirage to rental fleet operators as it delutes resale value. Why would they have it killed this way?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am guessing Mitsubishi US will be against this. After all they don't want to sell Mirage to rental fleet operators as it delutes resale value. Why would they have it killed this way?

Exactly - my guess is Mitsu is going to go against the Dodge sharing thing with their Mirage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    FCA is killing off the Dart and 200. So that leaves Chrysler/Dodge with trucks, Jeeps, and...what?

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...rt-and-ch.aspx

When gas prices go back up, FCA is gonna be in a world of hurt...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They've got the little Fiat 500/500L and I haven't checked sales of those cars lately, but cars like the Chrysler 100 would have to be on their planning board right now, I would think, anyway. No more Chrysler 300, either, huh? So, FCA and Mitsubishi are somewhat on the same road. Both are making big decisions to consolidate business to their extreme strengths of late. I think we're gonna hear more in 2016 from these two and working together on a rig or two seems really likely. But they might need to mash over the details for many more moon before they make their decision, too.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsuman View Post
    They've got the little Fiat 500/500L and I haven't checked sales of those cars lately, but cars like the Chrysler 100 would have to be on their planning board right now, I would think, anyway. No more Chrysler 300, either, huh? So, FCA and Mitsubishi are somewhat on the same road. Both are making big decisions to consolidate business to their extreme strengths of late. I think we're gonna hear more in 2016 from these two and working together on a rig or two seems really likely. But they might need to mash over the details for many more moon before they make their decision, too.
    Or they might bring an existing Fiat product for which they clearing space for by killing Dart/200. 100 almost identical size-wise to dart and 200, so it makes sense to streamline product line.

http://www.allpar.com/cars/chrysler/100/index.php

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    I worry for the future of Jeep. I'm a Jeep fan.

I don't mean to redirect this thread. This conversation brought up the thought.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The “Fiat Aagea” concept sedan, shown in May 2015, previewed both the first sedans made on the SUSW (“Small US Wide”) platform/architecture, and the first compact Chrysler since the 1980s.

Yes, the above is copied from the article linked. Dimensions of the Chrysler 100 are smaller than the Dodge Dart recently axed. Chrysler and FCA are not dumb, they have read of impending rise in gas prices (we know they'll eventually go back up ) so they're gonna want a car that achieves good gas mileage in their lineup and the 500/500L aren't everyone's cup a joe in the U.S. That's the general reason I see FCA putting the 100 solidly in to real production.

Nah, don't worry about hijacking the thread - you're right on the mark as to what we're talking about. If we need to make a separate thread for 'Jeep - what is their future in the US?' we sure can. But I am wondering why you're worried about the future of Jeep. Their sales are sound, right? I am not a Jeep fan so excuse my ignorance regarding their U.S. sales numbers.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post

They killed Dart and 200 to free up production capacity for RAM and Jeep, so no worry so as long as everyone is buying them.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They killed Dart and 200 to free up production capacity for RAM and Jeep, so no worry so as long as everyone is buying them.

'Zactly!