Thread: Cheap suspension upgrade idea?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Cheap suspension upgrade idea?

I saw the $70 Amazon lowering springs reviewed in the Garage part of the forum.

It seems the front springs were good and cured a large part of the Mirage's wobbly suspension and body roll. The rear springs on this kit were too soft and didn't work as well as the stock ones.

Some people have tried Volkswagen rear springs with success. My idea was to try cutting half a coil off the rear stock springs to slightly lower and firm them.

In conjunction with the cheap Amazon front springs this could be a very inexpensive way to get the ride height and handling dialed in with something that is sporty, still comfortable and not too low.

This might work without the Amazon front springs, but the chassis might look funny with the front setting higher than the rear. The front stock springs are not open coils like one side of the stock rear springs, so cutting them isn't really an option.

Maybe one of our forum members that already have aftermarket springs installed would give cutting the stock rear springs a little test?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    the rear stock springs are already soft as is. cutting them is a pretty bad idea. you'd bottom out all the time just by having 2 passengers at the back

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gunlak View Post
    the rear stock springs are already soft as is. cutting them is a pretty bad idea. you'd bottom out all the time just by having 2 passengers at the back
    As I understand it, shortening a spring makes it stiffer.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I have seen the eibach spring set on eBay for $169. If you wanna cheap get rear pulled out of VW bug, maybe cut them an inch and keep stock fronts, they are alright. VW rears are OK without cutting, but they will lift up rear.

Even cheaper put spring spacers in rears, something like one below:
    Superior 18-1901 Donut Style Coil Spring Spacer

Good luck

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)