Thread: Coolant - Red + Blue ?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Coolant - Red + Blue ?

Hi guys. I was looking at the coolant section at the Auto Parts store today as I need to top off the overflow reservoir a bit. I found the one that was spec'd for Asian makes (Mitsubishi was specifically listed), and was indeed E.G. based. However, I noticed that our coolant is blue-ish, whereas this was like Toyota Red stuff.

I'm sure the performance specs are the same, it's just that I don't want to be making violet coolant lol

Anyways, I think I'm just going to get OEM stuff to satisfy my OCD. Any thoughts on this? What is everybody else using?

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/Zer...l_Bulletin.pdf

Zerex makes a Mitsubishi compliant coolant in blue. Available at your local NAPA store.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Daox (02-08-2016)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    There are lots of universal coolants in various colours that will be compatible with Mitsubishis.

I however would prefer to go with the same colour that is in the vehicle to begin with.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/Zer...l_Bulletin.pdf

Zerex makes a Mitsubishi compliant coolant in blue. Available at your local NAPA store.
    This^. But specifically get the get Zerex Asian car forumla. Thought it was pink, just make sure the bottle that says Asian Car on the bottle. Try a quick Google search for Zerex Asian formula. The color is just a dye, FYI, and not really indicative of too much. The long life universal coolants are almost certainly fine as well but all the Japanese cars requiresthe same specs and I like a product designed specifically for that.

EDIT - Looks like the Asian specific coolant is sold in red (pinkish?) and blue to match what you already have. Its the exact same stuff though.
    Last edited by gone.a; 02-07-2016 at 10:03 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, the Zerex red stuff is the exact same stuff I saw at the Auto Parts place. I did not wind up getting it.

For anyone interested, here's another alternative I found:

http://www.pentosin.net/specsheets/A...20A3_Aug13.pdf

-Charlie-

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charlie For This Useful Post:

Daox (02-08-2016),inuvik (02-08-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Yeah, the Zerex red stuff is the exact same stuff I saw at the Auto Parts place. I did not wind up getting it.

For anyone interested, here's another alternative I found:

http://www.pentosin.net/specsheets/A...20A3_Aug13.pdf

-Charlie-
    That would work just fine. Always good to have options.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Update: Just got a gallon of the OE Super Long Life Coolant from the dealership today and filled up my overflow reservoir tank.

I got it for $30. Just out of curiousity, I had checked the price at NAPA Auto Parts for the Pentofrost A3 coolant: $32!

What the heck, why is the aftermarket stuff more than the OE? They also offered the Zerex stuff, but only had the red stuff in stock, not blue (I want to keep the color the same even if it's the same specs) for around: $24

Man, NAPA is not a good place to get stuff. The same red Zerex at O'Reilly's was only: $15

Anyways, I'm sticking to the OE stuff, but just thought this info could be helpful to others.

Definitely check your overflow reservoir levels from time to time. Our factory fill coolant can apparently last over 100,000 miles, but our reservoir tanks are NOT completely sealed (just a plastic jug with snap on cap). If you wait till 100K miles to be mindful, you will probably find out that your reservoir tank is empty!

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Update: Just got a gallon of the OE Super Long Life Coolant from the dealership today and filled up my overflow reservoir tank.

I got it for $30. Just out of curiousity, I had checked the price at NAPA Auto Parts for the Pentofrost A3 coolant: $32!

What the heck, why is the aftermarket stuff more than the OE? They also offered the Zerex stuff, but only had the red stuff in stock, not blue (I want to keep the color the same even if it's the same specs) for around: $24

-Charlie-
    Yikes, that's spendy! $13.99 a gallon here at my local NAPA.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 2,127 Posts
    Overflow tanks are pretty clever in design and operation. Remember cars without them?

Charlie, if your coolant overflow tank is emptying, you need to make a few checks. Think about where all this coolant is going. If it is spilling out of it's un-sealed container, you would expect it to spill below the vehicle, right? If that were the case, you would easily see or smell it under your car.

If your coolant is not spilling out of your overflow reservoir, then it is going somewhere else. It may be leaking out a damaged hose, a faulty water pump seal, leaked in your oil, or burned in your engine's combustion chambers.

Keep an eye on that coolant level, and let us know how things go. Good luck.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Overflow tanks are pretty clever in design and operation. Remember cars without them?

Charlie, if your coolant overflow tank is emptying, you need to make a few checks. Think about where all this coolant is going. If it is spilling out of it's un-sealed container, you would expect it to spill below the vehicle, right? If that were the case, you would easily see or smell it under your car.

If your coolant is not spilling out of your overflow reservoir, then it is going somewhere else. It may be leaking out a damaged hose, a faulty water pump seal, leaked in your oil, or burned in your engine's combustion chambers.

Keep an eye on that coolant level, and let us know how things go. Good luck.
    Yup, thanks for the concern. When I first noticed the lowered amount in the overflow reservoir, I immediately assumed the worst and thought, busted head gasket?

I drove around for a week though and the level did not drop a single iota. If it had been due to a leak, I would have seen something.

I'm coming up almost on 2 years with my car. This is the 1st time I'm topping up the coolant reservoir (was not empty, between low and full). For now, I believe most logical explanation is due to our overflow reservoirs not being a complete sealed system and of course, time + heat (FL).

Will keep an eye on it of course and will report anything different.

-Charlie-