Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Quality "feel" vs actual durability? Do light cars last?

I am envious, Sydney. Partly because you don't have to watch rust ruining your "new" car, and also because if you're ever feeling nostalgic and want to pick up an older / classic car, you have more choices!

Believe it or not, my 18 year-old Firefly/Metro/Swift is the LAST one still on the road in my small city (20k people). The others have all been scrapped. Mine's still alive only because it hasn't been exposed to road salt for most of its life -- not generally winter driven.

Like the Mirage, there's not much to them once rust takes hold.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    On the other hand, the power:weight ratio will improve as owners let the car rust away!
    And rusty cars can be very full of character too.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RodeRoNL View Post
    And rusty cars can be very full of character too.

I prefer rusty old trucks, as generally there is a frame under you that is substantial, and the rust is just on the superficial body. With a unibody car, the body is the frame, and it can be unsettling to know the 4 wheels are attached to all that corrosion!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)