Thread: effect of air conditioning on fuel consumption

effect of air conditioning on fuel consumption

(Admin note: this discussion split from another thread.

See related thread: Air Conditioner Effect on MPG (tested at 65 MPH))

---

I owned and drove a 1992 Nissan 240SX SE without AC for 10 years. The older I became the more I realized my comfort behind the wheel meant more than any savings in fuel economy or performance. Life's too short for me not to enjoy some luxurious AC. The Mirage must have a very small AC compressor so id imagine the hit in fuel economy is small. Has anyone tested this?

Last edited by MetroMPG; 02-20-2016 at 03:02 PM. Reason: (added link to other thread)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidricardo86 View Post
    I owned and drove a 1992 Nissan 240SX SE without AC for 10 years. The older I became the more I realized my comfort behind the wheel meant more than any savings in fuel economy or performance. Life's too short for me not to enjoy some luxurious AC. The Mirage must have a very small AC compressor so id imagine the hit in fuel economy is small. Has anyone tested this?
    I've noticed a dramatic difference between setting the temp at 65 and 72. The compressor runs far less at 72 or higher. I'm on the coast and it never really gets that hot here so I'll have to defer to others where it's far hotter to give their observations.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    Speaking of a/c from MPG point best is to set it up at higher temperature 80-82 and recirculation to minimize load. Dry 82 in humid 95F feels very comfortable, YMMV
    Very true. If you set the AC to meat-locker cold, then the compressor will be on almost constantly and really hurt your mpg. Set it to something that's just 'comfortable' and the economy hit is pretty small.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

debburyl (02-16-2016)

I also don't set my AC to freezer cold. Just as long as I'm comfortable, not sweating or feeling humid, a nice dry cool air is all I want so that I can minimize the decrease in fuel economy.

To summarize, the 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage's EPA MPG fuel economy may have been affected by 1.) EPA 2017 "road load force" revision, 2.) Increased weight, 3.) Different tires or larger 15" wheels, 4.) Increased horsepower.

This is of course before official EPA fuel economy number are released, and before actual real life tests can be done. Like the 14-15 Mirage, I'm positive the official 17 MPGs will be easily beat by mindful drivers so I'm not too worried.
    Last edited by davidricardo86; 02-16-2016 at 03:15 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by debburyl View Post
    Cobrajet,,,,,I really liked your Post about these Idiots!!!!And Morons!!! Who drive like Wild idiots and expect more out of a car then what it was Designed to Do.I Drive for a living in King county, and I see it all the time! People are in a Big Hurry !!!! For What????? To get to there Grave!!!! Slow down and enjoy your Mirage and your Life it's a proven fact the faster you go you increase your chances of a Accident !
    I am independently contracted to deliver packages. I get paid per delivery and the faster I deliver the faster I get more deliveries. Driving faster literally makes me more money. Some days I take it slow and those days I make $50-$100 less.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    It is careless if you are trying to maximize fuel economy.
    I live in Florida. This time of the year I get to roll down the windows, but most of the year you have to have the AC on or you will pass out in a pile of your own sweat. It literally steals half of your gas mileage. This is the only car I have ever owned where running the AC made a difference in power and/or fuel consumption.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HitShane View Post
    I live in Florida. This time of the year I get to roll down the windows, but most of the year you have to have the AC on or you will pass out in a pile of your own sweat. It literally steals half of your gas mileage. This is the only car I have ever owned where running the AC made a difference in power and/or fuel consumption.
    It could be brutal over there in summer. We had gone through Orlando August traffic with a/c on full (it was 103F as I recall) and saw people still riding motorcycles in full gear.

Try setting A/C to higher temps (80-84F or outside, whichever is lower) and put on re-circulation. After passing through a/c several times air will dry, and dry 82F is very comfortable if not ideal. Anything lower will not make much difference and getting in and out in 98F from 68F is sure way to getting summer cold.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Member BillThompsonMirage-ES-CVT's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    It could be brutal over there in summer. We had gone through Orlando August traffic with a/c on full (it was 103F as I recall) and saw people still riding motorcycles in full gear.

Try setting A/C to higher temps (80-84F or outside, whichever is lower) and put on re-circulation. After passing through a/c several times air will dry, and dry 82F is very comfortable if not ideal. Anything lower will not make much difference and getting in and out in 98F from 68F is sure way to getting summer cold.
    + 1 to this.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.4 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by davidricardo86 View Post
    so id imagine the hit in fuel economy is small. Has anyone tested this?
    Yup:

Air Conditioner Effect on MPG (tested at 65 MPH)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (02-21-2016)