Thread: Proper clutch adjustment point?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Proper clutch adjustment point?

I just read the how to and performed a clutch adjustment on my GF's Mirage clutch as I thought the engagement point seemed a little too high.

I did the adjustment exactly how I would do it on the Geo Metro. There is a tiny amount of play in the throwout lever but the cable is still taught. I was also curious if there have been any issues with the adjuster on these backing off. The ones on the Geo Metro have a half round machined into the nut which rests against a round rod. You have to overcome the round rod to set an adjustment. Adjustment increments are 180 degrees (half turns) because of this setup. I didn't see a way to lock the Mirage adjuster in place.

Does all this sound right? The clutch seems to be at a good (lower) engagement point and I prefer this setting but wanted to make sure.

Conor

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    A little lower would give you more free play which should be no problem. It's when the engagement point gets too high that you risk not allowing your throwout bearing to rest without any pressure on it. The bearing will fail prematurely if you allow the engagement point to stay too high. It's not intended to be a continuous duty bearing.

Under the hood you should be able to move the lever and actually hear the bearing face contact the pressure plate fingers. This proves you have sufficient free play.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-22-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    OK, I think I have it adjusted just like you suggest. A little wiggle but no more and you can hear the TO bearing touching the pressure plate. I will check it out in the next couple days to be sure when I am around the car again.

Conor

Thanks
    As the clutch wears the pressure plate fingers stick out further and the free play disappears, very very very gradually. I have not seen any reason to readjust mine in 15k miles, very little wear, should last 150k plus, seen 400k miles on oe. Just make the lever hit the fingers occasionally to make sure you have enough.

No hydraulics to fail and leak.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    As the clutch wears the pressure plate fingers stick out further and the free play disappears, very very very gradually. I have not seen any reason to readjust mine in 15k miles, very little wear, should last 150k plus, seen 400k miles on oe. Just make the lever hit the fingers occasionally to make sure you have enough.

No hydraulics to fail and leak.

regards
    mech
    what about cables to break?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Thanks
    Had a 37 Ford with 67 year old cable (mechanical) brakes, this cable should last 25 years, more with minimal maintenance, a little lube in the engine compartment, 40 years.

regards
    mech

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had the hydraulic clutch fail on my 2000 S-10. It started slipping and I drove it until it was apparent I would be walking soon if I didn't do something about this. The shop I took it to said that it was related to the hydraulics and that the clutch disc itself still had some life in it but the hydraulics caused the issue. The saved the old clutch and pressure plate to show me. The clutch still had some material left on it and the pressure plate was all black and blue from the slipping and heat it generated.