Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Surprising garage stats: comparing numbers of CVT vs. manual Mirage owners

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cwatkin View Post
    I think I have only seen reference to ONE engine failure and ONE transmission failure in a CVT in all of the research I was doing. Both were replaced under warranty without any issues. The engine failure didn't really sound like the fault of the engine either. The owner kept driving with a check engine light on. One day it got really cold and whatever sensor had failed caused WAY too much gas to be injected into the engine, washing down the cylinder walls, trashing it.

I went ahead and put my money where my mouth is and put down a deposit on the 2015 Mirage which is being clearanced now at close to $4000 off. I should be getting it Saturday.

Conor
    Congrats, Conor!

What happened...as I understand it...was that the car in question was being operated in SEVERE cold up in Canada. Like -30 degrees. The weather was so cold that the relays for the ignition and other systems would not function. So the car would crank and crank and crank, the engine would flood, and it wouldn't start. This scene played out a few times, and eventually damaged the engine's cylinders to the point that it lost compression and needed to be replaced.

Mitsubishi replaced the motor and also replaced the relays with ones more suited to the cold. I am not sure if the owner was using a block heater or not, but it might have prevented the problem. Further, I believe that block heaters became standard equipment on Canadian Mirages shortly thereafter?

Not sure why that CVT needed to be replaced. It may have just been 'a bad one'?

Anyhow, you shouldn't have too much trouble with a manual car in Missouri!

Congrats, Conor.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks. Yeah, they located a manual car here and it will be in Saturday. My dealer DOES sell quite a few more automatics by the way. I like the manual in the car my GF got so figured it was the way to go. I am getting an identical car except in a different color.

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cwatkin View Post
    Thanks. Yeah, they located a manual car here and it will be in Saturday. My dealer DOES sell quite a few more automatics by the way. I like the manual in the car my GF got so figured it was the way to go. I am getting an identical car except in a different color.

Conor
    Throw some pics on the forum when you get it home!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Woohoo, congrats. You should start an intro thread for your car so we can eagerly anticipate pictures.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Where should the intro thread be placed? I will start one soon.

Conor

CVT vs 5-speed update

Curious to see how this stat has changed, now that we have a few hundred more Mirages/Attrages/Space Stars in the forum.

I bet the ratio of CVTs will have climbed.

Stay tuned...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Stats!

679 members with garage entries (of 707) have entered a transmission type. That's up from 372 last time we checked.

----------------------------------------

343 (50.5%)

Manual transmissions
    Down from 197 (53%) in 2016

336 (47%)

CVT automatics
    Up from 175 (47%) in 2016

----------------------------------------

Out of curiosity, I also broke it down by model name, which offers a few hints about regional preferences:

Space Star (54 cars)

36 (67%) - manual transmissions
    18 (33%) - CVT automatics

Mirage (615 cars)

305 (49.6%) - manual transmissions
    310 (50.4%) - CVT automatics

Attrage (10 cars)

2 (20%) - manual transmissions
    8 (80%) - CVT automatics
    Interestingly, when I looked at Mirage G4 (same as Attrage), the proportion was still nearly half & half.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Daox (05-29-2018),inuvik (05-29-2018),Top_Fuel (05-29-2018)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    That is insane when you consider that only around 2% of new cars purchased in the US have manual transmissions. Are Mirage owners car enthusiasts, or just really cheap? LOL

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrybeaver View Post
    That is insane when you consider that only around 2% of new cars purchased in the US have manual transmissions. Are Mirage owners car enthusiasts, or just really cheap? LOL
    I don't think the flappy paddle gearboxes are considered manuals. Lots of high end cars have those flappy paddles rather than a stick shift. Flappy paddles are not really considered manuals. So lots of reasons why a "manual" number is decreasing.

Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire