Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Surprising garage stats: comparing numbers of CVT vs. manual Mirage owners

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No thank you when it comes to automatics. These cars suck enough as it is. You need a manual transmission to squeeze as much power out of that little engine as possible. Name:  most-effective-anti-theft-system-in-america-manual-transmission-gearbox.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  75.3 KB

2. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

fc321 (05-31-2018)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrybeaver View Post
    That is insane when you consider that only around 2% of new cars purchased in the US have manual transmissions. Are Mirage owners car enthusiasts, or just really cheap? LOL
    Why must be either/or? I consider myself a cheap car enthusiast, 'scuse me.

I love my cars small, light, and practical. It's a family thing: http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...-of-small-cars

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alpha_One For This Useful Post:

Angrybeaver (05-31-2018),fc321 (05-31-2018),MetroMPG (05-31-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How much does it cost to replace an out of warranty CVT? I had read that the price is 5000$. If that is true than that is half the price of the car, I paid $9000 for my car brand new and by the time the CVT needed replacing on a car that is over 10 years old it seems that the repair would not be economically feasible to perform and that a CVT failure would be the final nail in the coffin for the car.

Thats one of the reasons I chose the 5 speed manual
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_One View Post
    Why must be either/or? I consider myself a cheap car enthusiast, 'scuse me.

I love my cars small, light, and practical. It's a family thing: http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...-of-small-cars
    I didn't mean to offend anyone. I'm the same way!

Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    How much does it cost to replace an out of warranty CVT? I had read that the price is 5000$.
    That's probably what the dealer would charge but the more sensible thing to do would find a low mileage used one for $500-800, and find a shop to install it for under $500. I'm no mathmagician but that's what I'd do.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    That's probably what the dealer would charge but the more sensible thing to do would find a low mileage used one for $500-800, and find a shop to install it for under $500. I'm no mathmagician but that's what I'd do.
    Used one online or from a junkyard?
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh, ok. Thats not so bad then. I had just searched online for Janco CVT-7 and did not get results that where affordable.

How much does it cost to change the CVT fluid?

EDIT: Disregard the question, did not realize its something we can do ourselves. I thought it was like when you have to pump out coolant and replace it and have to bring it in to a mechanic
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    Oh, ok. Thats not so bad then. I had just searched online for Janco CVT-7 and did not get results that where affordable.

How much does it cost to change the CVT fluid?

EDIT: Disregard the question, did not realize its something we can do ourselves. I thought it was like when you have to pump out coolant and replace it and have to bring it in to a mechanic
    Nah, it's a simple drain and refill. Just use the Mitsubishi fluid (expensive but it doesn't take that much) and measure the amount drained. Replace with like amount and follow the procedure in the manual for checking the levels. Don't overfill, it's bad for the CVT.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

fc321 (06-01-2018)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrybeaver View Post
    I didn't mean to offend anyone. I'm the same way!
    Heh, none taken don't worry.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Alpha_One For This Useful Post:

fc321 (06-01-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The transmissions and engines in these cars are so light weight, I can't imagine paying a mechanic to do the work.

Now I will admit this, my little mind doesn't understand how an automatic transmission works. I've never removed/replaced one and don't plan on ever doing it.

Manual transmissions are pretty freaking simple and don't rely on computers. If you can turn a wrench, you can remove and replace one with little trouble. Manual transmissions are available from LKQ for about $600.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

fc321 (06-01-2018)