Thread: 2nd mileage check

Country
    United States
    Thanks

2nd mileage check

This past week was first full week driving new car to work. Distance is just shy of 12 miles one way. Route to work is mostly stop and go, with posted speed limits of 40 and 45 mph. Perfect speeds to maximize the potential mpgs of the Mirage. Only thing that would make it better would be no stoplights, lol!
    For first 500 miles of use I vary the speeds up and down between 0 and 50 while varying the rpms between 0 and 3500.
    Filled up Sunday night(just over 40mpg was obtained on the first 141 miles driven), so I could start the week with a full tank.
    Drove the week(ran errand on Monday night after work) accumulating an additional 144.1 miles. Obtained 47.45 mpg.
    I did throw in some mild hypermiling, by coasting where I could and as traffic allowed.
    Still have not spun motor more than 3500 rpm since driving off the lot. Once I get 500 miles on the ODO, I will start to slowly stretch her legs with some interstate hwy runs at varying(up and down, not constant set) speeds.
    Will be taking 1500 mile round trip soon and want to get the engine broke in before the start of that trip.
    I love it. Like training a new pup, getting it started right.
    I wish Mitsu made a Mirage based pickup(same motor) with a 6ft bed, and a 7spd manual, with and ultra low 1st gear, 2nd thru 6th(geared like the 1st thru 5th is now) and and additional overdrive 7th for when on hwy running with empty bed.

Last edited by Bristol; 07-10-2019 at 05:07 PM.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I did a 1400 mile trip in our 2017 G4. I drive fast, 80 plus, so our total mpg was only like around 35 mpg but that was with two adults, luggage, AC on high. The G4 performed just fine on the freeway. It really helps though to take a break every couple of hours, the wind can fatigue your wrists from constant slight wheel corrections. Wind noise isnt as bad as the critics make it out to me, you forget its even there after awhile driving.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol View Post
    This past week was first full week driving new car to work. Distance is just shy of 12 miles one way. Route to work is mostly stop and go, with posted speed limits of 40 and 45 mph. Perfect speeds to maximize the potential mpgs of the Mirage. Only thing that would make it better would be no stoplights, lol!
    For first 500 miles of use I vary the speeds up and down between 0 and 50 while varying the rpms between 0 and 3500.
    Filled up Sunday night(just over 40mpg was obtained on the first 141 miles driven), so I could start the week with a full tank.
    Drove the week(ran errand on Monday night after work) accumulating an additional 144.1 miles. Obtained 47.45 mpg.
    I did throw in some mild hypermiling, by coasting where I could and as traffic allowed.
    Still have not spun motor more than 3500 rpm since driving off the lot. Once I get 500 miles on the ODO, I will start to slowly stretch her legs with some interstate hwy runs at varying(up and down, not constant set) speeds.
    Will be taking 1500 mile round trip soon and want to get the engine broke in before the start of that trip.
    I love it. Like training a new pup, getting in started right.
    Sounds like you're off to a good start, Bristol. Take a look at the forum Fuel Economy Log - lots of Mirages improve after that break in period.

I hope you can make a Garage entry.
    Garage empty: add car

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol View Post
    I wish Mitsu made a Mirage based pickup(same motor) with a 6ft bed, and a 7spd manual, with and ultra low 1st gear, 2nd thru 5th(geared like the 1st thru 5th is now) and and additional overdrive 7th for when on hwy running with empty bed.
    Oh yeah. I'm thinking a dual range transmission here. Mitsubishi has done it before.

Mitsubishi could be the fuel economy boss. Well, here's hoping for better days ahead. I hope they can pull their organization together.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)