Thread: Engine has no friction (RPM drops slowly during gear change)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks

Engine has no friction (RPM drops slowly during gear change)

Whenever I use my driving teqhnique which include slow acceleration, I try to accelerate up to about 3000 rpm because I know that next gear will drop about 900 rpm. The problem is I don't want to slip my clutch. So the problem I have is that the engine drops rpm to slow resulting in clutch slip due to wheels and and engine not having the same "speed". This slow engine speed drop, is it caused by frictionless engine

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Also my foot is not on accelerater when shifting

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleartec View Post
    Whenever I use my driving teqhnique which include slow acceleration, I try to accelerate up to about 3000 rpm because I know that next gear will drop about 900 rpm. The problem is I don't want to slip my clutch. So the problem I have is that the engine drops rpm to slow resulting in clutch slip due to wheels and and engine not having the same "speed". This slow engine speed drop, is it caused by frictionless engine
    The slow rpm drop is a programming function from the ecu to burn all the fuel for emissions purposes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    The slow rpm drop is a programming function from the ecu to burn all the fuel for emissions purposes.
    although my foot is away from accelerator. but wouldn't this be waste for me if it burns away without doing anything

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleartec View Post
    although my foot is away from accelerator. but wouldn't this be waste for me if it burns away without doing anything
    From that perspective yes, from a emissions perspective no. i think it was Volvo that did a study on the most efficient shifting patterns many years ago. The result if I remember correctly was to shift 1-3-5 as quickly as possible using 2 & 4 for hills or passing only.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Cleartec (03-04-2016),Eggman (03-04-2016)