Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Speck :: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Speck
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage ES
    Sapphire Blue
    5 speed manual
    Details
    •  

Disabled automatic air conditioning, saving fuel and prolonging life of the compressor.
    2016-Nov-29
    Added WeatherTech floor liners and KDLINKS R100 dashcam.

•  
    •  

2017-Apr-05
    Added OBDLink LX
    2017-Apr-30
    Installed a Fumoto F106SX oil drain valve for easy, simple oil changes.
    2017-Aug-23
    Installed a ZeroStart 3100111 Engine Block Heater
    2017-Oct-19
    Adjusted clutch
    2017-Oct-25
    Added experimental warm air intake ducting from over exhaust manifold to air filter box inlet (Removed 2018-Jan-20)
    2018-Jan-20
    Battery replaced.
    2018-Jan-30
    Added grill block. Between the two, I think the grill block is more effective than the warm air intake.
    2021-May-7
    Fuel pump, gasket & lock ring replaced to address a Evaporative Emission System leak.

•  
    •  

Increased tire pressure for improved fuel economy.

Summer Tires: 4 Dunlop Enasave (165/65R14) on Mitsubishi Mirage ES factory alloy rims (stock wheel set for the 2015 ES.)
    Winter Tires: 4 Dunlop Wintermaxx (165/65R14) mounted on Mitsubishi factory steel rims.

2017-Nov-26
    Picked up an extra set of Enasaves and the Dunlop Wintermaxx tires from forum member Zero.

•  
    Comments: 400 / Views: 273829
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Another fuel log entry. This one is my best tank yet as I approach 60 mpg. This one was mostly highway miles with occasional pulse & glide. I'm not sure my usual routes could support better fuel economy numbers as I have a fair number of stop signs & lights along the way.

Also still averaging the MID-B fuel consumption readings. This tank I beat the car's computer probably due to variations in my fill-up / topping off.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Another fuel log entry. This one is my best tank yet as I approach 60 mpg. This one was mostly highway miles with occasional pulse & glide. I'm not sure my usual routes could support better fuel economy numbers as I have a fair number of stop signs & lights along the way.

Also still averaging the MID-B fuel consumption readings. This tank I beat the car's computer probably due to variations in my fill-up / topping off.
    Awesome!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I got caught up with two fuel log entries.

Pulse and glide is interesting, and I wonder how it affects the MID fuel consumption calculations. I recently began a highway trip driving along some fairly level road and my fuel consumption display registered 61.5 and stayed there. As I began using pulse & glide in hills, my miles per gallon numbers began to improve - opposite of what usually happens driving in hilly terrain.

Also, I had my largest error between the MID-B fuel consumption calculation and the actual fuel economy - an error of 7.2 mpg. Part of that I can attribute to topping off my tank during refueling, but I don't think topping off explains all of the error. I guess I'll find out more on the next fill-up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Were you you gliding with the engine on or off?

On the 2014 Mirage 5-speed loaner from Mitsubishi Canada that I tested, the onboard gauge vastly over-estimated fuel consumption during pulse & glide (engine off). The MPG value was much lower than actual, by about half.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Were you you gliding with the engine on or off?

On the 2014 Mirage 5-speed loaner from Mitsubishi Canada that I tested, the onboard gauge vastly over-estimated fuel consumption during pulse & glide (engine off). The MPG value was much lower than actual, by about half.
    Engine on.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Rear Axle

I finally scheduled my oil change with my dealer, Sunnyside Mitsubishi. I asked that they also look at the alignment and check the refrigerant charge. I took it in on Friday August 12. Speck had a little over 5,000 miles on the odometer.

The check done on the AC was very minimal. All they did was check the temperature of the air at the vents.

The alignment check showed the rear axle is out of specs for camber.

The mechanic made slight adjustments to both front wheels using a Hunter alignment machine. The numbers in the readout picture show his work.

The service manager called back later that day to tell me a new rear axle assembly has been ordered for my car.

When I asked about the AC charge, he said that is the first check they conduct. If the air coming out is cold, there is no problem to address.

Fair enough, I suppose. Here's hoping the new axle has better alignment numbers.
    Last edited by Eggman; 08-15-2016 at 02:21 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I finally scheduled my oil change with my dealer, Sunnyside Mitsubishi. I asked that they also look at the alignment and check the refrigerant charge. I took it in on Friday August 12. Speck had a little over 5,000 miles on the odometer.

The check done on the AC was very minimal. All they did was check the temperature of the air at the vents.

The alignment check showed the rear axle is out of specs for camber.

The mechanic made slight adjustments to both front wheels using a Hunter alignment machine. The numbers in the readout picture show his work.

The service manager called back later that day to tell me a new rear axle assembly has been ordered for my car.

When I asked about the AC charge, he said that is the first check they conduct. If the air coming out is cold, there is no problem to address.

Fair enough, I suppose. Here's hoping the new axle has better alignment numbers.
    Good luck with your new axle. I hope it solves the problem. My Mirage has the same issue. I brought it up to my Mitsu service manager, but they won't do anything for me because I do not have OEM size tires, which PEPBOYS said was fine! Pepboys is blaming Mitsu. Mitsu is blaming Pepboys. I'm stuck with a dog legging car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey Eggman!

That is not the specs for 2014-15 Mirage. Your readout would be well within specs for a Mirage. (rear camber specs actually -1.8 to -0.3 degrees.)
    What does it say on the top half of the paper for model and year? (we only see the bottom half on the pic)

I just hope your new axle is going to be at least as good as your current one.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

Eggman (08-16-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dplane View Post
    That is not the specs for 2014-15 Mirage. Your readout would be well within specs for a Mirage. (rear camber specs actually -1.8 to -0.3 degrees.)
    What does it say on the top half of the paper for model and year? (we only see the bottom half on the pic)

I just hope your new axle is going to be at least as good as your current one.
    Thanks for speaking up about this, 3dplane. I too am concerned that a replacement might not have as good numbers, especially the toe. When I go back I'll ask to see the whole sheet.

What is your experience with these axles? Can I ask to keep the old parts?

Another funny thing I notice is while the alignment numbers show good, the rear tires look visibly off according to my untrained eyes. Maybe it's just how the body is shaped, but to me the rear tires are pointed in at their tops and fronts. I set a bar against the tires much as old mechanic described and it raised my concern. On the other hand I haven't noticed the wandering that has been noticed by some.

I would take pictures but we are visiting grandma and grandpa in Pullman, WA. I'll take some pictures when we get back home this weekend and show you what I mean.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No you don't get to keep the old parts because they have to send it back to claim the warranty repair.

About how the wheels look,you simply see the -1.5 degree camber with your eyes and the rear track is narrower than the front so if you look along the outer sidewalls of the rear wheels facing forward,the line would intersect the front tire tread even with a zero rear toe.

Also I can tell you why they have the wrong specs. Because their alignment machine is not updated to include 14-15 mirage (it cost a good chunk of money) so they just picked some other similar car to enter into the machine. That is why they only gave you the bottom half so you don't see that it is not a 2014-15 mirage spelled out on the top.
    In the end they just created a problem for them selves because if the machine had the correct specs,your print would be all green!

They could actually manually enter the correct specs into the machine but that would require a little extra time and to actually know the numbers. (could be obtained from this forum).

I would tell them if the new axle measures worse, put the old one back in.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

Eggman (08-17-2016)