Page 14 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Speck :: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Speck
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage ES
    Sapphire Blue
    5 speed manual
    Details
    •  

Disabled automatic air conditioning, saving fuel and prolonging life of the compressor.
    2016-Nov-29
    Added WeatherTech floor liners and KDLINKS R100 dashcam.

•  
    •  

2017-Apr-05
    Added OBDLink LX
    2017-Apr-30
    Installed a Fumoto F106SX oil drain valve for easy, simple oil changes.
    2017-Aug-23
    Installed a ZeroStart 3100111 Engine Block Heater
    2017-Oct-19
    Adjusted clutch
    2017-Oct-25
    Added experimental warm air intake ducting from over exhaust manifold to air filter box inlet (Removed 2018-Jan-20)
    2018-Jan-20
    Battery replaced.
    2018-Jan-30
    Added grill block. Between the two, I think the grill block is more effective than the warm air intake.
    2021-May-7
    Fuel pump, gasket & lock ring replaced to address a Evaporative Emission System leak.

•  
    •  

Increased tire pressure for improved fuel economy.

Summer Tires: 4 Dunlop Enasave (165/65R14) on Mitsubishi Mirage ES factory alloy rims (stock wheel set for the 2015 ES.)
    Winter Tires: 4 Dunlop Wintermaxx (165/65R14) mounted on Mitsubishi factory steel rims.

2017-Nov-26
    Picked up an extra set of Enasaves and the Dunlop Wintermaxx tires from forum member Zero.

•  
    Comments: 400 / Views: 273857
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Here's some photos of my speaker install. First are of the factory setup.

Front right side with door cover panel removed.

First, remove wire from under the retainer clip.

Push in on the locking tab and pull the connector up and away from the speaker.

Note the shape of the electrical connector. Also note the use of foam where the speaker meets both the door and the cover panel.

With the wiring disconnected grab the entire speaker assembly and rotate counter-clockwise to remove from the door.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-13-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here's the new speaker, assembled and ready to mount.

It's easier to connect the Metra wiring adapter before mounting the speaker to the Scosche adapter. Once mounted on the Scosche adapter there's less room to push on the connectors, and I found the connectors to be a very tight fit. Another interesting feature of the wiring adapter is it is polarized in that it has spade-type connectors sized for the Pioneer speaker tabs in such a way that ensures proper polarity (that is, one is smaller than the other.)

Here's the speaker mounted on the left rear door.

Adapter connector detail. Note that the Scosche adapter has a small notch to allow the wiring to pass through.

For each speaker I noted how the three tabs of the Scosche adapter mated with the door and mounted the speaker so that the two little tweeters would be oriented vertically. It's really not necessary - all this will be concealed from view. More importantly I made sure the wiring harness was not pinched or otherwise restricted once the assembly was mounted.

The Metra wiring adapter harness locks solid on the Mirage factory speaker harness. There are no concerns whatsoever of this connection parting.
    Other items of note here are the door latch release assembly and the wiring harness to the window switch.

This view is the left side front door.

Take care with wire routing. I had trouble fitting one door cover panel because the speaker adapter connector interfered. Once I relocated the harness the cover snapped back in place just fine.

The new Pioneers are able to produce sounds the factory set never could. They are no louder, but I'm not after that. They do sound 'cleaner' if you will. My daughter described them as switching from black and white TV to color. I liken it as the difference between a blended, overcooked soup to having the food separated on a plate, where I can enjoy each item on its own. This was most apparent while testing individual speakers with some factory speakers still in place.

One thing to point out is the speakers are louder when they are installed in the door and the cover panel is in place. I suppose this creates a resonant cavity. This explains why I initially thought I would need an amplifier while first checking fitment. If I'd only put everything back together I wouldn't have bothered even considering an amp. Lesson learned.

It's a simple, straightforward process to changing out the factory speakers. Hopefully sharing my experience doing this shows that with a little patience and planning this job can be done by anyone.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Speck got cleaned up this afternoon.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (09-10-2017),inuvik (09-10-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Looks great! Love the color. The color I really wanted, but it wasn't available.

Any new battle scars?

That's one thing about washing a car yourself: you find every new nick and scratch.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Any new battle scars?
    Thankfully no - just some tiny spots of tar.

But let's not jinx anything.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So upset at myself. In preparation for hurricane Irma, I cleared out some space in the garage to park Kermit. Pulling in, the right side mirror rubbed the stucco siding of the garage door frame, scraping the crap out of the painted part of the mirror. As I'm cursing at myself I opened my driver door and it hit a pile of floor tiles I had stacked there, but couldn't see from inside the car. It made a door ding. Arg! I take really good care of my car, so I was pretty upset. Before this, the only damage was a small door ding from a coworker 3yrs ago.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to palebeachbum For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-13-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No! That stinks. Do you think the dent will pop out?

Also, now is your chance to paint your mirrors any color you like. Popping off the cover can be tricky, so be careful. I took pictures of mine - look through my photo albums here on the forum.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's a sharply creased ding, rather than a dent, so no I don't think it's something I can pop out...without me doing more damage. As for the scrapes on the passenger mirror, it's more like gouges in the plastic itself, so repainting won't get rid of it. I guess wear and tear will happen, but for someone like me who babies his car, especially with it only being 3yrs old with 50k miles, it's a bit heartbreaking. I'd rather it be my fault than someone else's though.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is my 3,000th post.

I joined this forum to learn more about a little car I was interested in. I learned from the experiences of others that it is reliable and efficient, and for a economy car has a lot of great features, and even more potential than what is advertised by it's manufacturer.

A couple years along since first using this website I have come to appreciate the wealth of knowledge and enthusiasm for these little cars - from markets all around the world.

I wanted to take this opportunity to thank all the forum members here who help make this forum a success, helping out other Mirage owners make the best of their car. I also want to thank MetroMPG and Daox as admins for starting this forum in the first place. It's a Good Thing!

Thanks all, and cheers!

P.S. And thanks Mitsubishi for making this car and bringing it to the North American market! Although it should be called Colt instead haha.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (09-23-2017),fc321 (07-13-2018),MetroMPG (09-23-2017),MightyMirageMpg (09-23-2017)