Page 19 of 41 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Speck :: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Speck
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage ES
    Sapphire Blue
    5 speed manual
    Details
    •  

Disabled automatic air conditioning, saving fuel and prolonging life of the compressor.
    2016-Nov-29
    Added WeatherTech floor liners and KDLINKS R100 dashcam.

•  
    •  

2017-Apr-05
    Added OBDLink LX
    2017-Apr-30
    Installed a Fumoto F106SX oil drain valve for easy, simple oil changes.
    2017-Aug-23
    Installed a ZeroStart 3100111 Engine Block Heater
    2017-Oct-19
    Adjusted clutch
    2017-Oct-25
    Added experimental warm air intake ducting from over exhaust manifold to air filter box inlet (Removed 2018-Jan-20)
    2018-Jan-20
    Battery replaced.
    2018-Jan-30
    Added grill block. Between the two, I think the grill block is more effective than the warm air intake.
    2021-May-7
    Fuel pump, gasket & lock ring replaced to address a Evaporative Emission System leak.

•  
    •  

Increased tire pressure for improved fuel economy.

Summer Tires: 4 Dunlop Enasave (165/65R14) on Mitsubishi Mirage ES factory alloy rims (stock wheel set for the 2015 ES.)
    Winter Tires: 4 Dunlop Wintermaxx (165/65R14) mounted on Mitsubishi factory steel rims.

2017-Nov-26
    Picked up an extra set of Enasaves and the Dunlop Wintermaxx tires from forum member Zero.

•  
    Comments: 400 / Views: 273877
    I'm embarassed to say that I should be able to point to a good project on EcoModder, but I can't think of one. I know Daox has spent more time on variable & automated blocks.

I made a "manual" one that simply had a series of "flaps" I could open as need be.

I'd like to have one that would simply let me start off the trip in fully closed, then open flaps remotely as the drivetrain warms up enough.

I like a variable block that's just enough for the load/ambent temps. EG: today the cooling fan briefly came on 2 or 3 times on a 100 km / 60 mile back roads trip (80 km/h = 50 mph posted limit). If I'd been driving faster or if it were hotter, I'd have needed to open another flap.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Yeah, I recall you (or Tim) posted some variable grill blocks, or maybe you were using the Ford Fiesta design for an example. Which is pretty cool. Louvers if I remember correctly.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Yup, Tim was working on one:

If you feel like some reading:

Automatically actuated grill block - Mk3

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Speck is giving the same symptoms described here. After a year and a half it looks like I'm due to replace the batteries in my F.A.S.T. keys.
    I still haven't replaced this battery and I still see the security key warning indicator on my dash upon startup. Speck still starts though.

I try to minimize it's usage in hopes of extending the battery's life. I've noticed the car will query my key every time I step on the clutch until I start the motor. It also hits the key every time I push a door button to unlock the car. If I want to unlock all doors, I'll use the button at the tailgate rather than hit the driver's door button twice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Blackstone Labs Used Oil Analysis Results

When I changed my oil back in November I changed the oil only and kept the filter. The reasons?
    1. Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil is rated for 15,000 miles and the filter is rated for 20,000 miles. I don't really approach those limits.
    2. The Mobil 1 M1-110A is larger than the factory stock filter, and I expect greater filtration capacity. It is also supposed to trap smaller particles, outperforming the factory filter again.
    3. Why throw out a filter that still has lots of useful life?
    4. I bought a 5-quart bottle of Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W-20. I used the rest of that 5-quart bottle for the refill. This keeps the 6-month oil change requirement.
    5. I will submit a sample of the drain to Blackstone Labs for analysis. I look forward to seeing how this maintenance regimen holds up.
    6. If the analysis is favorable, I'm looking at a good quality full synthetic oil change for about $11.

I'm especially eager to see if there is any indication of engine wear due to cold winter temperatures that tend to make my 3A92 noisy & rattly on those cold starts (I didn't get that when I was able to use the block heater.)
    The analysis results are in from Blackstone Labs. It turns out I'm not the first and only to re-use a filter.

Looks like skipping a filter change works fine. And according to the TBN results, I could stretch out my oil changes even further. I wonder if I could even run a full year on a fill? I'm not sure that I'm ready and willing to find out. But if I do, I'll be able to check the results using another analysis. I don't put down big miles or drive very hard at all - I do mostly city & suburban driving with little time at highway speeds. It is my understanding city miles can be harder (think stop & go driving.)

Regarding the oil change I find the 5W-20 is making my startup valvetrain noise louder and last longer, contradicting what others here have reported. Go figure. It can't be the Mobil 1 oil filter because it is the same model that it replaced. Looks like I'll be using 0W-20 from now on.
    I'm not pleased with the 5W-20 fill as I find it makes the cold start valvetrain chatter more than twice as long as the 0W-20 I was running before. I'm not sure I want to run this 5W-20 this winter.
    Last edited by Eggman; 06-03-2018 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Added title

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Daox (06-03-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I installed my Daox rear sway bar today. In a brief ride around the block it is quickly apparent it makes a big difference in the ride. Very nice. I wrote a brief synopsis of the job in the thread for that bar. You can read that post here.

I'm trying to avoid putting a lot of money in what is an economy car. After all, I chose this car to save my money not spend it. This forum has helped me take better advantage of what this car is, what it can do, and what I can do with it. Buying this bar goes against my reasoning, but in the end I think it's a worthwhile investment. I wouldn't have bought one if I hadn't heard so many positive insights from forum members who were generous enough to share their experiences.

Thanks everyone.

Looking forward to tomorrow's commute.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-15-2018),HitShane (06-15-2018),MetroMPG (06-15-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I installed my Daox rear sway bar today. In a brief ride around the block it is quickly apparent it makes a big difference in the ride. Very nice. I wrote a brief synopsis of the job in the thread for that bar. You can read that post here.

I'm trying to avoid putting a lot of money in what is an economy car. After all, I chose this car to save my money not spend it. This forum has helped me take better advantage of what this car is, what it can do, and what I can do with it. Buying this bar goes against my reasoning, but in the end I think it's a worthwhile investment. I wouldn't have bought one if I hadn't heard so many positive insights from forum members who were generous enough to share their experiences.

Thanks everyone.

Looking forward to tomorrow's commute.
    A few years ago I was telling you guys to throw a bar on your car. I understand everyone wanted to spend less money but you literally could have just bought a bar a couple years ago and had a car that handled correctly this entire time.

I definitely recommend the Strut Tower brace in the front upper and a four-point chassis on the front lower in addition to the rear lower stabilizer bar.

Don't forget to get some wheels that are wider than stock, so you can put some real tires on them...

Name:  20431543_103778366977181_3557409822477498948_n.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  30.6 KB

Name:  20286737_103778290310522_7209388178194343137_o.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  87.8 KB

Name:  20369053_103777913643893_2126350480560269044_o.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  80.4 KB

Name:  IMAG0652_zpsqubyy7lz.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  31.0 KB

EDIT: I am by no means under minding Daox's bar or any attempt to modify this vehicle to improve it's drivability. I think a lot of the slack in the chassis could be fixed with some bar stock and measuring twice. It definitely needs at least 15 by 6 & a half inch wheels so that you can put some proper tires on it.
    Last edited by HitShane; 06-15-2018 at 05:26 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HitShane For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-15-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HitShane View Post
    A few years ago I was telling you guys to throw a bar on your car. I understand everyone wanted to spend less money but you literally could have just bought a bar a couple years ago and had a car that handled correctly this entire time.

[sarcasm] For over two years and 19,000 miles I somehow managed to use this car to get back & forth to work just fine without this bar. How can this be?? [/sarcasm]

I think there is a difference of opinion due to experience & perspective. Based on the Mirage's stock form, I've driven cars with *much* worse suspensions. It's not my forever car, especially here in the Rust Belt. I'm sure it'll be someone's forever car, but not mine. In the meantime, I'll appreciate the Mirage for what it is.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-15-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Morning commute complete. I haven't done this in a while.

This is what the MID-B fuel economy gauge looks like when the numbers are in the triple digits:

That picture was taken at the bottom of my hill. This next one was taken when I made my parking space.

I haven't seen those numbers before. I usually get 70s & 80s.

Is it due to the Daox Sway Bar, or because I left earlier and drove slower than usual?? Maybe HitShane was right all along. Does this mean that I can carry more momentum through corners? Does this mean that I'll be burning through tires faster now?? Do we finally have a replacement for the General Lee and can re-start the Dukes of Hazzard TV series again??

All this from a little bar on a little car.
    Last edited by Eggman; 06-15-2018 at 10:24 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Another fuel fill-up. This one puts me back at 50 mpg lifetime. Nice.

I notice some knocking noises from the rear axle. I'll have to check the sway bar installation to see if I left anything loose.