Page 16 of 41 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Speck :: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Speck
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage ES
    Sapphire Blue
    5 speed manual
    Details
    •  

Disabled automatic air conditioning, saving fuel and prolonging life of the compressor.
    2016-Nov-29
    Added WeatherTech floor liners and KDLINKS R100 dashcam.

•  
    •  

2017-Apr-05
    Added OBDLink LX
    2017-Apr-30
    Installed a Fumoto F106SX oil drain valve for easy, simple oil changes.
    2017-Aug-23
    Installed a ZeroStart 3100111 Engine Block Heater
    2017-Oct-19
    Adjusted clutch
    2017-Oct-25
    Added experimental warm air intake ducting from over exhaust manifold to air filter box inlet (Removed 2018-Jan-20)
    2018-Jan-20
    Battery replaced.
    2018-Jan-30
    Added grill block. Between the two, I think the grill block is more effective than the warm air intake.
    2021-May-7
    Fuel pump, gasket & lock ring replaced to address a Evaporative Emission System leak.

•  
    •  

Increased tire pressure for improved fuel economy.

Summer Tires: 4 Dunlop Enasave (165/65R14) on Mitsubishi Mirage ES factory alloy rims (stock wheel set for the 2015 ES.)
    Winter Tires: 4 Dunlop Wintermaxx (165/65R14) mounted on Mitsubishi factory steel rims.

2017-Nov-26
    Picked up an extra set of Enasaves and the Dunlop Wintermaxx tires from forum member Zero.

•  
    Comments: 400 / Views: 275753
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Woohoo, nice job! Hopefully it won't take too big a hit this winter and you'll be back above 50 in no time.

Have you considered any other warming mods to help negate the winter penalty? Or any other mods for that matter?

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    Congrats on the 50

If your not running 0w-20 oil already ide switch back to it for winter. I've noticed my car sounds different too.
    I'm using 0w-20 now. I've considered using 5w-20, just to see the difference.

My block heater helps too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Woohoo, nice job! Hopefully it won't take too big a hit this winter and you'll be back above 50 in no time.

Have you considered any other warming mods to help negate the winter penalty? Or any other mods for that matter?
    Yes. I want to block off the lower grill, but I want to try to fab up something that blends in as good as I'm able. That, and I need to somehow figure out an elegant solution for my block heater plug. I was thinking of something like this:

Amazon: NOCO GCP1 13 Amp 125V AC Port Plug with Integrated Extension Cord

I don't want to void the warranty, and thus I don't want to drill a hole in Speck's bumper cover. Until warranty is up, I'm not inclined to make permanent modifications, you know? I think there'll be a way to use this with a grill block, so long as the material can support it. Any suggestions? I'm not sure taped-in coroplast will hold up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-10-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The "w" means winter (cold) viscosity
    The lower the number the better it would be for cold starts

Edit if you switch though id like to knows what you noticed. If it works better ide do it too
    Last edited by MightyMirageMpg; 12-09-2017 at 03:10 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That is a very nice plug extension. I haven't seen that one before. I have used a Marinco plug on my 2003 Toyota Matrix. I drilled the front bumper and it turned out great.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That grill block looks great. What are those - fasteners?

I considered the Marinco bulkhead plug. I like the NOCO because there are no screw terminals and the plug connection can be taped weatherproof. That and I think it costs less, too. And I think reviews said the cover on the Marinco sometimes doesn't stay shut - over time it gets loose or some such.

How can I learn more about how you did yours? I'm sure there's a post I can read about it, right?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Those fasteners are thumb screws. They're a threaded rod with a flattened end.

The full build thread for the Matrix is here:

Daox's 2003 Matrix build thread

Here is the block heater plug install:
    Block heater marinco plug

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Odometer: 15121
    Installed Zero's snow tires and hub caps.

From the outside you can't tell Speck is an ES except for the fog lights.

It would have been a good time to install some Rear Disc Simulators. Why, it's the first time I've had the tires off! I've only put on 15,000 miles.

I had some assistance from my Dear Darling Daughter. We used Speck's jack and lug nut wrench. It was a good exercise to understand how everything works together. Better to practice now rather than along the roadside on a dark and stormy night. Now my 12 year old daughter is familiar with changing a tire and knows where to find everything. She even set the jack and did the lifting - though she is not yet strong enough to handle the lug nuts.

Which reminds me - I found the lug nuts to be tightened more than what the owner's manual calls for. The torque specification in the owner's manual is 65 to 80 foot-pounds. I felt they were tightened more than 80, that's for sure. Has anyone else noticed this?

Loosen the lug nuts, lift using the lift point specified in the owner's manual, remove the Enasaves with the factory alloy rims, mark the inside with it's location on Speck, fit the Dunlop Wintermaxx mounted on factory steel rims, snug the closed-end lug nuts in a cross pattern, lower the car off the jack, tighten the lug nuts to German standards (goodntight), pop on the hubcap and top off the air pressure.

I think I'll want to order a new set of lug nuts next time I place an order somewhere. Speck's factory lug nuts are functionally fine, just tarnished.

Until I figure out the TPMS, the light on the dash will bother me. It sure would be nice to figure out how to store two sets of TPMS sensors. I still have to see my dealer about the airbag sensor recall.

And replacing the jack back under the driver's seat was a puzzle. I think it was installed wrong from the dealer's lot, because it just wouldn't fit back in for me that way. See, when I took it out the business end of the jack screw was positioned toward the driver's door. It fit much easier when I turned it around. Go figure.

The front brake pads look okay, maybe halfway through their material. The winter tire swap will help keep an eye on them. I think come spring I would like to take off the front calipers to inspect their slide pins to make sure they aren't seized.

We had a pretty good snowfall last week and Speck slipped around a bit, but nothing unexpected. I'm glad I didn't put on Zero's Dunlop Wintermaxx snow tires as now it will be easier for me to compare them against the Enasaves. And we are due for more winter weather here soon.

So I'm ready for it. Thanks again Zero!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (12-25-2017),Daox (12-24-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I drove for about an hour total before the TPMS started flashing on my dashboard. I thought it would have responded quicker than that.

Also, I haven't noticed a big loss of fuel economy yet.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Added another fuel log entry. Thus begins the Winter Slide in fuel economy. Ugh.

This winter will be different with my warm air intake, engine block heater and snow tires. I'm expecting a measurable difference from last year. However, I didn't record daily temperatures, so it might not be a fair & valid comparison.