Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mobil 1 0W20 "Extended Protection" and "Advanced Fuel Economy" differences?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    When I bought the car new last week the dealer told me it had been sitting on their lot for over 1 year. Does that mean I should change the oil (even though it only has 160 miles and came with Full SYnthetic from the factory?)
    You might consider changing the first oil change at 3k miles. I change mine at 5k. My commute is just over 1 mile each way so lots of very short trips.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by collos View Post
    The Americans and oil changes it must be cheap to change the oil most modern engine oils will do 100k without any bother so if you change at 25k your still well in and still lining the pockets of the oil companies.
    First off, I'm not trying to start any trouble.

I drive in a year, approximately 12,000 miles. 100,000 miles / 12,000 = 8.3333333....

Are you suggesting I just drive my car for over 8 years without a single oil change??

OK, I also see you are located in Germany. SI unit for distance: Kilometers. Conversion factor from miles to km: 1.609

100,000 * 1.609 = 160,900 km's - can you really go 160,900 km's without an oil change??

I'm sorry, even if European oils are spec'd differently, these #'s are incredulous. I hate lining big oil companies' pockets with $ as much as anyone, but I would hate replacing the engine of my car even more.

-Charlie-

--------------------------------------
    EDIT:
    Hmm, after my original post, I realized you were probably saying 100,000 km's. Let's go that route then. Conversion factor from km's to miles: 0.6214

100,000 * 0.6214 = 62,140 miles

Not as extreme as going 100,000 miles obviously. However, 62,140 miles is still unbelievable. For my case of driving 12,000 miles a year. 62,140 / 12,000 = 5.17833333... still over 5 years without changing my oil. 5 years can not be recommended even by European oil standards.
    Last edited by Charlie; 03-09-2016 at 02:51 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (03-09-2016)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to poorman1 For This Useful Post:

fc321 (03-09-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Apparently oil changes are only "optional" on the engine pictured. I plan to keep doing mine about 5000 miles. No point in messing up a new car....

Conor

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I would change the oil within 1,500 miles or sooner since it sat for so long . You get condensation and oil dropout ( additives ) . Some of us are more worrisome than others . 7,500 or less for O.C.s is good idea for a small engine . I'd probably go 5,000 miles . We have many steep hills to climb .

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cinder For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (03-10-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cwatkin View Post
    Apparently oil changes are only "optional" on the engine pictured. I plan to keep doing mine about 5000 miles. No point in messing up a new car....

Conor
    Especially since it's only 3 quarts and a filter. Minimal expense to lengthen the life of your Mirage. Maybe changing the oil every 7.5k or higher is ok but I figure with my short commute I'm more towards the "severe" range of maintenance.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Is there a shelf-life to oil? I would think it is quite long but do additives break down from sitting? I sometimes buy oil on sale and once or twice a bottle has fallen somewhere and I find it cleaning out the shed, etc. It is old but still meets the specs for the car it is being used in. The oil was unopened and clean of dirt/moisture so went ahead and used it. Is this a bad idea?

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I plan to do my first oil change at around 2k after most of the breaking in is done.

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cwatkin View Post
    Is there a shelf-life to oil? I would think it is quite long but do additives break down from sitting? I sometimes buy oil on sale and once or twice a bottle has fallen somewhere and I find it cleaning out the shed, etc. It is old but still meets the specs for the car it is being used in. The oil was unopened and clean of dirt/moisture so went ahead and used it. Is this a bad idea?

Conor
    There really isn't a shelf life. Unless the container is damaged and open to the atmosphere its almost guaranteed fine. A few months back, Blackstone Labs (an oil analysis shop) bought a bunch of OLD (~50 years if I recall correctly) oil cans off ebay that were unopened. They did an analysis on each of them and found them to all be just fine.

The ebay oils
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Interesting... So since oil sitting in an unused engine is potentially not completely sealed from the atmosphere, some degradation does take place because of the exposure to air??? I guess it is like a lot of food products that don't require refrigeration but don't keep as well once opened. Olive oil and other cooking oil is a good example. I once used an old bottle that got pushed to the back and it was NASTY RANCID. I guess some of the same can happen with lubricating oils.

Since my new car is a '15, I guess I should assume that this has been sitting with the FF for up to a year or more on some lot or warehouse with the same oil. I was originally planning a 3k change but will probably change this to a 2k.

Conor