Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Mobil 1 0W20 "Extended Protection" and "Advanced Fuel Economy" differences?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As a mechanic I deal with this a lot

The recommended oil change is X many miles/hours or X many months Whichever comes First

There is no exception for unless it has not been driven much

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks guys,

Its not that I just want to save the money but rather that it will make it much more complicated to keep track of my maintenance because I was planning to follow the intervals word for word in the manual at 7500 miles each time

(Except sometimes the cabin air filter starts stinking so I have to change it sooner than the owners manual suggests)
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Make sure you change it however often the manual says, not what people online recommend. That is, if you want to keep your warranty in effect should something go wrong in the future.

In Canada, we have to do it every 5 months or 8000km. Therefore, I had to do mine at 4680km. Gonna be using a store brand oil next time because of such a short interval!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nickpon For This Useful Post:

fc321 (03-09-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cwatkin View Post
    Is there a shelf-life to oil? I would think it is quite long but do additives break down from sitting? I sometimes buy oil on sale and once or twice a bottle has fallen somewhere and I find it cleaning out the shed, etc. It is old but still meets the specs for the car it is being used in. The oil was unopened and clean of dirt/moisture so went ahead and used it. Is this a bad idea?

Conor
    Was the oil stored in freezing temperatures? (That is, cold enough to freeze water...)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, the oil likely got quite cold and possible quite warm in many climate cycles. I know thermal stress in an engine wears it out but I figured just being an a shed wouldn't hurt it.

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    I understand solids (wax?) can form in some oils in cold temps. It might be a question best answered by the oil manufacturer. Maybe a MSDS can give storage instructions.

What oil are you talking about?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Oil does have a shelf life . Call the manufacturer ( Mobil , Pennzoil , etc. ) and talk to a tech and they will give you the # of years . I always shake the bottles well before pouring into any engine .

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Go to these for oil pour points of -20 and -40 . Fun to watch . Let the race begin . -20 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alnOguGvyh8 and -40 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ_v...nMiGzU-H-i9-9Q

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I see. These days most of it has been the Mobil 1 0W40 European for the cars (all spec 5W30) and Rotella T6 5W40 for the mowers. The 0W20 will be another additional one. In the past there might have been some Valvoline, Castrol, or Mobil conventional oils.

On a side note, the only place in town I can find the Mobil 1 0W20 EP is Wal-Mart. They sell it in other grades at the parts stores but the 0W20 is only at Wal-Mart. The AFE is at the parts stores but not EP. Strange. I work on electronics and Wal-Mart is usually the bottom of the barrel in terms of the product as well as the customer it attracts. I am surprised they are the go to for the good oil.

Conor

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    I am not suggesting any time or mileage for an oil change but in europe with cost of oil and the quality of the product to do 100000 miles it would be much cheaper to buy a new engine then change the oil like the seem to do in America.