Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Mirage Aftermarket Wheels

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hi there, Im new and i am looking into getting some wider wheels for the car aswell w/o sacrificing mpg.

I've been searching the web for the weight of the wheels, but so far no luck.

I wanted to put some wider wheels on the car or perhaps some 15's at the most but ive seen some descent ones that weights less than 14 lbs / wheel but i'd like to compare it to factory wheel's weight. I guess ill have to take it off the car and weight it myself and inform you guys if no one had already done it

Quote Originally Posted by pureflipking View Post
    Hi there, Im new and i am looking into getting some wider wheels for the car aswell w/o sacrificing mpg.
    Remember that when changing wheels/tires, weight is only 1 out of 3 factors that affect efficiency.

The other two are: rolling resistance (lower is better for efficiency); aerodynamic drag (which increases as you go to a wider tire and open spoke wheel pattern from a flat wheel cover).

FYI see: How wheel & tire size and style affect Mirage fuel economy/mileage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

pureflipking (10-09-2013)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Remember that when changing wheels/tires, weight is only 1 out of 3 factors that affect efficiency.

The other two are: rolling resistance (lower is better for efficiency); aerodynamic drag (which increases as you go to a wider tire and open spoke wheel pattern from a flat wheel cover).

FYI see: How wheel & tire size and style affect Mirage fuel economy/mileage
    thanks for the info,

i really dont want to sacrifice mpg, so ill just pick up a sway bar for it

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Your information about wheels weight would be very helpful. Please, don't forget.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The U.S. spec Mirages have a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS), using tire inflation pressure sensors mounted inside each rim. Did you guys with aftermarket wheels have to deal with this? What was your solution?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fifteenwindow View Post
    The U.S. spec Mirages have a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS), using tire inflation pressure sensors mounted inside each rim. Did you guys with aftermarket wheels have to deal with this? What was your solution?
    Remove the sensors and install to the new rims. Or you can order extra ones.

Mitsubishi Technician live4redline's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Still interested in the weights of the stock Steel and Aluminum wheels and who makes the aluminum options. Are they made by Enkie like 98% of every other wheel made for Mitsubishi's?

I'll more then likely be getting the steel wheels with my trim package but will want something lighter then the stock aluminum options. You can only do but so much with the aerodynamic drag when looking at aftermarket options. The weight, diameter and width are gonna be the largest impacts on your "good" wheel choices if your worried about them kind of things. I will note that much like a Miata and unlike a higher horse power Evo, wider is not always better if your looking to back road, track or autocross your Mirage for some random reason. Low horse power cars benefit greatly with less rotational mass.

I would automatically look at the Enkei RPF1 but the narrowest you can get them is 7". The 14x7 however is only 8.4-8.7 lbs each and the 15x7 is 9.65-9.85 lbs each which is rather impressive. The wider tire required to fit the wheel how ever may eat up most of your weight savings.

Some useful info...
    The amount of aluminum alloy required to provide the same strength of steel weighs approximately 40 percent less than the steel. Aluminum wheels will usually weigh less than steel of the same size. However, if the aluminum wheel is manufactured with a lot of metal, the weight savings may be small. Forged aluminum wheels are much stronger than cast aluminum models and will usually weigh less.

There is a wide range in the amount of weight difference between steel and aluminum wheels. Many cast aluminum wheels from the car manufacturers weigh nearly as much as the steel models. For example, the 16-inch by 6.5-inch steel wheels on the Chevrolet Cobalt and Malibu weigh 19.2 lb. each and the optional aluminum wheels weigh 18.9 lb.

Other examples:
    Mazda Miata 14x5.5 inches steel: 18 lb.; the same size in aluminum: 12 lb.
    Suburu Legacy 15x6 inches steel: 19.5 lb; Enkei cast aluminum: 16 lb.
    Daily: 2017 Mirage G4 SE - Not Boosted Yet!

Current Project: Working on legitimate Mirage Tuning

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sorry guys, i totaly forgot to weight the wheels, ill get on it soon.

And it'll be with the tires so the result will be the total weight

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pureflipking View Post
    And it'll be with the tires so the result will be the total weight
    It would be great. The Tire Rack has some specs of the tires and it says 13lb for the Mirage's stock.
    Dunlop Enasave 01 A/S

Country
    United States
    Thanks

15x6.5 Konig Feather
    175/55/15 Hankook K105 (i think) Low Rolling Resistance