Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flat sway bar?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Pics?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    Pics?
    As I mentioned before, I didn't like the way the upper end of the VW springs fit in the car. On the chassis of the car, there is a little nub, with a reinforced ring around it, that the stock spring sits around. This keeps the spring placed, keeps it from sliding sideways. The VW spring is much bigger around, and it can move an inch in any direction - moving it off the side of the reinforcing ring. Here is the problem:

Notice the piece of 11ga plate sitting on top of the spring, to spread the load.

If only I had access to a plate cutting laser and a mig welder, I could engineer a solution. Something like... this.

Know why I'm a laser operator? Because I can't #$%&ing weld.

Fits right in the top of the spring.

And fits right in the car. My spring perches are now made of heavier material than the motor mounts. Spring doesn't move, doesn't creak. I've ordered some of the stock VW spring isolators.

The bottom of the springs fit on the lower perches like they were made to go there.

And now, the car sits level!

Final thoughts:

If you don't want to spring (heh) for the $250 sway bar, these VW lowering springs are a great option. Really calmed the swaying/bouncing of the rear end. And as an added bonus - this "dead spot" in the steering all the limp-wristed auto reviewers wail and gnash their teeth about? It's gone. Turn the wheel the tiniest bit, and the car responds immediately. There was no dead spot. There was just a big spot where the wheels turned, and the suspension compressed before the car reacted. If I had to make those spacers again, I'd use 1/2" thick plate instead of 3/4". I just happened to have some 3/4" on the table.

Hopefully soon, I can tackle the front pair. But the car is honestly just fine with the stock fronts - the rears were just too soft for this application.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tinker1980 For This Useful Post:

91cavgt (03-29-2016),Daox (03-25-2016),inuvik (04-07-2016),MetroMPG (04-07-2016),mitsumi (03-25-2016),RedRage (04-22-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Very nice!

Your welding isn't horrible either, just a bit thick.

Did you order lowering springs, or stock springs? I imagine even the stock springs would be a lot stiffer than the Mirage springs, but I would have worried that lowering springs would be a bit too hard for the Mirage? Thoughts on that?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Very nice!

Your welding isn't horrible either, just a bit thick.

Did you order lowering springs, or stock springs? I imagine even the stock springs would be a lot stiffer than the Mirage springs, but I would have worried that lowering springs would be a bit too hard for the Mirage? Thoughts on that?
    These are the MaxSpeed lowering springs for the Volkswagen new beetle. I'd not say the springs are too hard, but I will admit I was worried when I saw how thick the coils were compared to my stock springs. But my worries were unfounded. I may see if I can get a video from outside the car as it goes around a corner too fast.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tinker1980 For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-25-2016),mitsumi (03-25-2016)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker1980 View Post
    These are the MaxSpeed lowering springs for the Volkswagen new beetle. I'd not say the springs are too hard, but I will admit I was worried when I saw how thick the coils were compared to my stock springs. But my worries were unfounded. I may see if I can get a video from outside the car as it goes around a corner too fast.
    the VW springs you bought are for the new beetle and not the older ones as posted from the other thread?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    the VW springs you bought are for the new beetle and not the older ones as posted from the other thread?
    They are the ones posted in the other thread. I say "new beetle" because to me, a VW bug is an air cooled, rear engined, torsion sprung car made in the last century.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Went out to the shop, with all the stuff needed to finish the sway bar.

Except, apparently, the right drill bits. Spring steel is a bit of challenge to drill through... Going to have to take it to work and use the bridgeport... or the laser.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinker1980 For This Useful Post:

wilbur (04-04-2016)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Keep us posted and pictures when you are done.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've successfully drilled the spring steel. Took me two drill bits and all sorts of screeching metal, lots of soap, but the Bridgeport and I got all sixteen holes drilled. If I were to offer this setup for sale, I'd cut the whole shebang on the laser in less than five minutes.

Installation should come tomorrow, if I can get some sleep.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tinker1980 For This Useful Post:

cyclopathic (04-07-2016),inuvik (04-07-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Another unforeseen problem. Got the parts attached to the axle - but the hardware on the top side of the axle rests against the gas tank. This is a no-go, obviously.