Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crappy fragile paint!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sorry to hear about this Cleartec,

I just got mine and washed and waxed it and was thinking this would be all I need to do to keep the paint in prime condition.

Let us know what they tell you at the dealership. I wonder if the bumper to bumper warranty covers paint?

If the bumper paint peels off that is why they make car bras:

Name:  red_cav.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  32.7 KB

Hmmm.... I havent seen a car bra in years. I think they may be out of style?

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post

I just got mine and washed and waxed it and was thinking this would be all I need to do to keep the paint in prime condition.

Let us know what they tell you at the dealership. I wonder if the bumper to bumper warranty covers paint?

I will keep this updated. unfortunately it seems like you have to drive in a vacuumed place just to be sure that no chip marks will appear. Wonder if mitsu even have tested their paint resistans against mud, chips and rock? I think they should... Also my steering will is off so this needs to be done aswell

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As far as rust I've got a unlimited car wash $25 month membership that include undercarriage high pressure high temperature washing. It does a excellent job and I'm sure it will help a lot with corrosion. Some days ubering I wash my car twice in one day.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to alex16 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-12-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Car bra will not help 'Cleartec'. His main concern is when paint chips off easily off the metal exposing it to possible corrosion. Bumper is 100% plastic and will not rust out. I thought I was the only one who felt he had to drive on vaccuumed roads to keep the car in good shape!

-Charlie-

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Actually the front cover (bra) was an invention of a Porsche mechanic. It's purpose was to protect a customers car from chips while it was being road tested to confirm that the repairs were done properly and addressed the customers reported issues.

The bra was never originally intended for permanent use. Also never intended to be used without frequent cleaning. Leave one on the car and it becomes an abrasive mat that will actually do much more damage than just chips from small object impacts.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    Actually the front cover (bra) was an invention of a Porsche mechanic. It's purpose was to protect a customers car from chips while it was being road tested to confirm that the repairs were done properly and addressed the customers reported issues.

The bra was never originally intended for permanent use. Also never intended to be used without frequent cleaning. Leave one on the car and it becomes an abrasive mat that will actually do much more damage than just chips from small object impacts.

regards
    mech
    Glad you are on this forum 'old mech' - nice to have someone w/ your automotive knowledge as a resource around here!

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Me too,

I have owned mine less than 2 weeks and already have paint chips on the front face of the car. I was starting to get mad at myself until I read this forum and see I am not the only one.

Oh well..... Its a very cheap car and I have to recognize that Mitsu was forced to cut corners to sell the car so cheap. Yes I would prefer they had cut the corners somewhere else rather than the paint job but it is what it is.

Looking on the bright side, a few years down the road when I have to repaint the car I can choose a new color =)

$299 paint job at Maaco:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYez8Cc99Vs

$500 paint job including sanding, prep, primer and paint (also at Maaco)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3-AAdkZNb4
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

Cleartec (03-13-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Me too,

I have owned mine less than 2 weeks and already have paint chips on the front face of the car. I was starting to get mad at myself until I read this forum and see I am not the only one.

Oh well..... Its a very cheap car and I have to recognize that Mitsu was forced to cut corners to sell the car so cheap. Yes I would prefer they had cut the corners somewhere else rather than the paint job but it is what it is.

Looking on the bright side, a few years down the road when I have to repaint the car I can choose a new color =)

$299 paint job at Maaco:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYez8Cc99Vs

$500 paint job including sanding, prep, primer and paint (also at Maaco)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3-AAdkZNb4
    Nah, you're not the only one.

I would be REALLY weary of a $500 paint job. Been reading other reviews of Maaco paint jobs..not exactly glowing ones either. I think it would be an ok option if your existing paint job gets to the point of disaster (like clear coat failure), then the Maaco option would be better than not doing anything at all. Then again, that guy in the video seems pretty happy with the quality of the job he received. If you DO wind up getting a paint job at Maaco, let us know how it went!

For me, basically all the paint damage to my car is understandably on the front, plastic fascia/bumper. I may just buy a new oem bumper to replace it at some point several years down the road when it gets REAL bad. I'd love to paint it myself as a project, but with no paint booth/clean room, there'd be so much dust/pollen trapped in any sized paint job I do within like 1 hour.

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Has anyone installed the clear film protection?
    http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Protecti.../dp/B00CR1RGBG
    Last edited by poorman1; 03-13-2016 at 07:12 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to poorman1 For This Useful Post:

TXmirageGUY (12-14-2017)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    To avoid this problem i'll probably plasti-dip parts on my mirage. I Think the brighter the color, the better the paint life. Darker colors have problems, especially the Toyota black or drak greenish color has the most paint problems.

Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

TXmirageGUY (12-14-2017)