Thread: Question about testing - Why does USA have such higher numbers?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Question about testing - Why does USA have such higher numbers?

I understand the USA revised the way they test, to bring the official numbers closer to the reality of regular drivers. I'm wondering if the style of driving/geography/culture of the US leads to greater fuel consumption, or if it is just a matter of the test parameters. Are higher speed limits or greater urban congestion the cause, or is it just that the US has taken a more realistic approach while others have taken a more optimistic one?

Put another way, would an average driver burn more gas going 100 000km in a Mirage in the US than that same average driver in New Zealand, the UK, or the Phillipines? Is this a testing error, or something different about the infrastructure of the different regions?

Just curious as to your thoughts. Also noted that in some places the CVT is a big advantage, and in others it is not at all.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Did you mean - why does the US have lower numbers? If you mean the official fuel economy ratings in MPG.

It's because the US has revised its calculations and tests several times, with a major adjustment in 2008, to try to bring them in line with what the average driver was achieving. (Prior to that, its numbers were very similar to Canada's (ie. higher fuel economy ratings). Canada is about to revise its tests/calculations as well.

Many of the countries where the Mirage was first sold use fuel economy ratings based on European NEDC tests, which are also understood to be too optimistic for the average driver to achieve -- further from reality than the U.S. rankings.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (06-15-2013)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Did you mean - why does the US have lower numbers? If you mean the official fuel economy ratings in MPG.
    OK, thanks. I meant higher, as I was thinking L/100km, but lower in terms of mpg. Those yanks, keeping the metric system down . . . I don't know how they do it!

So do you think some of the other countries in Europe and Asia don't get near the estimates in real-world driving either?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I've heard from many europeans that NEDC is unrealistic, and that is coming from hypermilers haha.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

The Euro/NEDC numbers are even more optimistic than the current Canadian NRCAN ones! Very few "typical" drivers will achieve them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Mitsubishi Technician live4redline's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ^ What he said. :P

So, whats this all a boot now? Maple syrup and what not?
    Last edited by live4redline; 06-18-2013 at 05:59 AM.

Oh, cut it out.

Mitsubishi Technician live4redline's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Awww,

Daily: 2017 Mirage G4 SE - Not Boosted Yet!

Current Project: Working on legitimate Mirage Tuning