Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bluetooth OBDII concern

Bikerfreind
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Why buy a Toyota then ?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to uheym For This Useful Post:

Cleartec (03-16-2016),Eggman (03-16-2016),TXmirageGUY (07-19-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Now *that's* funny.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Cleartec (03-16-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So basically a voided warranty if something plugged into the obd2

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousJT View Post
    So basically a voided warranty if something plugged into the obd2
    Not really. It doesn't break anything but might interfere with computer to computer communication. Completely reversible, and not detectable in logs.

So if you encounter ESP issues while it is plugged in, try to unplug it and see if it resolves the problem. And don't show/tell dealer that it was plugged in otherwise they will give you BS.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:

Cleartec (03-16-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When I plugged in a cheap $8 ELM 327 bluetooth interface I got a check engine light andn the ant-stability icon had turned to "anti stability traction off"

When I unplugged the unit and turned the car off and on again the errors had gone away. But certainly it caused something to go haywire so I am not going to use it anymore (except just to read error codes)

Update: Did the exact same thing on my 2013 Ford FIesta as well (made the anti stability (icon = OFF) light up so I tis not just the Mirage but rather the unit I have that is causing it.

Scared me from wanting to leave it plugged in all the time to read my real time mpg......I am afraid to leave it plugged in case it creates a real error that wont go away.

Dont buy this one:

GXG-1987 WiFi Wireless OBD-II Mini ELM327 OBD2 Auto Car Diagnostic Scanner Tool
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-28-2016)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    When I plugged in a cheap $8 ELM 327 bluetooth interface I got a check engine light andn the ant-stability icon had turned to "anti stability traction off"

When I unplugged the unit and turned the car off and on again the errors had gone away. But certainly it caused something to go haywire so I am not going to use it anymore (except just to read error codes)

Update: Did the exact same thing on my 2013 Ford FIesta as well (made the anti stability (icon = OFF) light up so I tis not just the Mirage but rather the unit I have that is causing it.

Scared me from wanting to leave it plugged in all the time to read my real time mpg......I am afraid to leave it plugged in case it creates a real error that wont go away.

Dont buy this one:

GXG-1987 WiFi Wireless OBD-II Mini ELM327 OBD2 Auto Car Diagnostic Scanner Tool
    I don't expect any problems with a 70$ obd infact I don't

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a $5 mini plug off eBay and it doesn't cause issues. In 8mo of it being plugged in light came on twice, both in heavy rain. IMHO it is due to some connector being flooded, but Toyota won't look at it because of the adapter. Both times cleared by itself, must be dried out. Waiting for good rain again.

I am not fond of Toyota VSP, Mitsubishi ESP system less intrusive and IMHO works better, and I've driven years without ESP, but heavy rain isn't the time to loose it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Toyota won't look at your car because you have that adapter plugged in?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousJT View Post
    Toyota won't look at your car because you have that adapter plugged in?
    They blame it all on adapter, so unplugging it is the "fix" from their point of view.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I work on electronics/computers for a living and can tell you that the quality of the cheap Chinese parts is all over the board. Some are actually of good quality while others will ruin a computer in short order. Talk about a mess. Power adapters and cords are something I will never cheap out on as these are problematic. They can fry a motherboard and I have seen a couple that caught fire. People think they are getting a great deal buying a $10 laptop power supply off eBay or Amazon but they are junk!

I would be nervous about using something cheap on your OBD port out of concern of causing damage. I am now seeing reports of certain cheaper USB cables damaging phones and other electronics because of internal shorts, etc.

Conor

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cwatkin For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-28-2016)