Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Not very happy with my new Mirage purchase. (Mostly the ride quality)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, thanks for not being unfriendly (lol) especially since I didn't have my coffee yet.

Yes, I live in the mountains of WV, but I am in a city, and it is pretty flat as long as I stay in the city. But, I understand your point. the roads are challenging for sure with any kind of trip.

Someone said something about age, I am 53.

I am not looking forward to the dealership calling me today. The salesman already made a comment about giving up the Sportster 1200 Custom I have (I bought it new in 06) to offset the loss on the Mirage. I don't think I will do that. Before I bought the Mirage I was at another dealership, ready to ink the paper on a 2016 Soul for pretty much the same price (including the Sportster, an old Suburu outback, and an old Maxima) I didn't want to give the bike up, so I walked and bought the Mirage.

I believe the dealerships offer is going to make me even more sour. So, this car will be mine. I will have to look at options to make the car better for me during long drives.

Thanks for the suggestions,
    Peace.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  12837174_1153565657987360_1616062914_o.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  97.1 KBName:  12837174_1153565657987360_1616062914_o.jpg
Size:  97.1 KBName:  12837174_1153565657987360_1616062914_o.jpg
Size:  97.1 KBAnd here she is, still at the Dealership before I took her home.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itsonme For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-17-2016),fc321 (03-17-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  mirage 001.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  95.3 KB One more, at least the Dealership took off their front plate and put on the Harley tag from my old outback trade in...lol.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to itsonme For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-17-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I felt the same way when I drove my car home from the dealership. I knew I needed to upgrade the suspension. Its about a 15 minute ride home on the highway from the dealer so it was just a few minutes to make that decision. I did end up keeping the original suspension for almost a year before I changed it. After that time I came to appreciate the softly sprung suspension on Cleveland's pot hole filled roads. For a small car it was really nice on my commute in the morning to not feel tortured on my drive to work. But over this past weekend, I did end up changing the springs to Eibach units and added the ultra racing rear sway bar and front strut tower brace. That combined with 16 inch wheels, has completely transformed the way the car drives. It went from grandma to go-cart in just a few hours and the ride is still not punishing at all. Now I am looking forward to this weekend so I can take it on some curves.
    Name:  Suspension1.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  100.9 KB
    Name:  suspension2.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  100.8 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gnarles2 For This Useful Post:

fc321 (03-17-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am wondering what it cost you to upgrade the suspension?

In fairness to the Mirage, I have had neck and back problems in the past due to a Motorcycle accident. Also, screws in my wrist, knee and shoulder. I haven't had any problems for quite sometime (like years) until my recent two hour trip. I think a firmer suspension would make a world of difference.

I would also like to say, on a nice road, that is straight, the car drives awesome. My issue is that I am in WV, and all the roads are winding, unless I get on an interstate.

Just a word of advice to anyone considering buying one of these little gas savers. Rent one for a couple days and go from there. I wish I did that.

Peace.
    Last edited by itsonme; 03-17-2016 at 03:52 PM.

The aftermarket rear anti-roll (sway) bar is a couple hundred bucks and fairly easy to install if you're handy.

Members here who have made only that change (no springs, no tires) report that it makes a big improvement in how the car handles. It's probably the best upgrade in terms of cost vs. difficulty vs. effectiveness.

Thread: Mirage aftermarket rear anti-roll/stabilizer/sway bar, chassis braces! Ultra Racing

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

itsonme (03-17-2016)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by itsonme View Post

In fairness to the Mirage, I have had neck and back problems in the past due to a Motorcycle accident. Also, screws in my wrist, knee and shoulder. I haven't had any problems for quite sometime (like years) until my recent two hour trip. I think a firmer suspension would make a world of difference.

I would also like to say, on a nice road, that is straight, the car drives awesome. My issue is that I am in WV, and all the roads are winding, unless I get on an interstate.

Just a word of advice to anyone considering buying one of these little gas savers. Rent one for a couple days and go from there. I wish I did that.

Peace.
    The only option on rear anti-sway bar is Ultra racing, and it goes for $200-225 shipped; takes about 20min to bolt on. Rear springs from Beetle are ~$60. General RT-43 185/60R14 tires are ~$60+install. If I were starting from scratch I would just do the sway bar and put spacers in rear springs to get it handle. Also put camber kit in front, it needs 12mm kit and we got one for $9 off amazon prime.

OEM tires will wear in 40k, so the tires can wait a year or two.

If you decide to go that route post we will fill you on details. If you look past body roll car is well balanced, not as much understeer as say Toyota offerings.

With respect to seat, we got a Euro sheepskin cover from Costco for $56, and it made it more comfortable (if you ever had one on your bike or ridden with guys who swear by them you know what it is).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by itsonme View Post

Peace.
    The prices were $250 for Eibach springs, $250 for the Ultra Racing rear sway bar and I also got the front strut tower brace for $160. I did everything myself in the driveway in about an hour. It only lowered the car about an inch and the ride quality is firm but not jarring at all. It feels like it could be a factory suspension setup if Mitsubishi were to make a Mirage Evo or RalliArt version. I also have 16 inch wheels with 195/45/16 tires. I installed the wheels and tires a week before I did the suspension and although it had more grip, the suspension still felt awful.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I understand where you're coming from. My first long trip was 150 miles in perfect weather and the car drove great. Yesterday I drove 130 miles in heavy winds and was literally getting blown into the next lane. I'm 6' and 250 pounds yet sit comfortably inside, but getting in is a bit of a stress on the lower back. None of this was a surprise to me, though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 41.2 mpg (US) ... 17.5 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 49.4 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeoStalker For This Useful Post:

fc321 (03-17-2016),Gnarles2 (03-17-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoStalker View Post
    I understand where you're coming from. My first long trip was 150 miles in perfect weather and the car drove great. Yesterday I drove 130 miles in heavy winds and was literally getting blown into the next lane. I'm 6' and 250 pounds yet sit comfortably inside, but getting in is a bit of a stress on the lower back. None of this was a surprise to me, though.
    I forgot about that! It has been very windy here as well and the factory set up would be all over the place. It is nice and solid feeling with the new suspension and tires. It is still a small lightweight car so it is not perfect but it is much much improved in high winds.