Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Not very happy with my new Mirage purchase. (Mostly the ride quality)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by itsonme View Post
    Thanks doax, please let me know how it turns out. I thought that was the bar people talked about. I know I seen something with a bar going side to side behind the passengers seat as well. not sure what it was.
    That is the rear shock tower brace. That will help with chassis flex but wont do anything for everyday ride/handling.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gnarles2 For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-18-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks, you guys are really helpful. Considering that most of the roads here are curves I am going to have to add the rear sway bar.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Here is the rear sway bar. It attaches to the spring perches in the back.

DIY rear sway bar install

Just as a quick note, I am hopefully going to be testing a rear sway bar alternative this weekend that'll cost a good deal less... More info to come.
    Be careful with that because adding a sway bar (even a proper sway bar) because if you have problems with rear axle alignment then Mitsu may deny the claim based on the fact that they could blame the sway bar for knocking the car out of alignment.

To be 100% paranoid somebody should take the sway bar off before bringing it to the dealership (if they had one on).

I decided against the sway bar. It dawned on me that the only reason I was having the body roll is because I was taking corners too fast and that if my goal is to increase "economy" then taking corners too fast will wear out my tires and brakes.

As others have noted, I think the Mitsu engineers made the body sway like that on purpose to train drivers the proper way to drive (drive an econobox). Now..... a 20 year old that drives spiritedly is not going to want to hear this advice.

But it is what it is. THis is not a "hot hatch" LoL. Its an econobox

EDIT: I am not calling anybody a 20 year old.....I am saying that hypothetically a 20 year old will not want to hear such advice
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    "It dawned on me that the only reason I was having the body roll is because I was taking corners too fast"

Guilty as charged....lol. Meaning, I'm probably doing the samething.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    I am not even going to pursue trading it, I'm aggravated enough with car dealerships and the such. Besides, I'm not willing to take a big hit, and I know it will be a big hit.
    Here in Cleveland, we had a situation with a certain problematic quarterback - you might have heard of him. I was advocating talking up the guy's good points in hopes that some team out there would be willing to trade or otherwise make a deal for him, rather than just let him go for nothing. What a waste - good thing you aren't going to lose that much money. At least, if someone approaches you with interest in your car, you can let them know just how great it is and that you could make them a great deal on it...

I am going to have to get the drivers seat back somehow about 3-4 inches (no longer 4-6)
    Let us know your progress, I'm sure many folks here would either like to know how you do it, or even collaborate on a solution.

I'm turning the corner, happy to have something that I know will start, doesn't leak oil all over my driveway, and should be good for awhile.
    You can still keep your Sportster. lol *ducks*

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    "You can still keep your Sportster. lol *ducks*"

That actually put a smile on my face. Yes, I still have the Sportster, if I bought the Soul, I wouldn't.

Looking at the positives already

8. The Following User Says Thank You to itsonme For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-18-2016)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Just as a quick note, I am hopefully going to be testing a rear sway bar alternative this weekend that'll cost a good deal less... More info to come.
    Tell me about it more!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thanks, you guys are really helpful. Considering that most of the roads here are curves I am going to have to add the rear sway bar.
    Here is a couple threads on spring spacers. Got a pair from Pepboys for $15.
    http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...ghlight=spacer
    http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...ghlight=spacer
    http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...ghlight=spring

They are not substitute for sway bar, but they are cheap way to stiffened rear springs and reduce body roll.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-18-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    My thoughts exactly.

Should be best bang for the buck.
    Last edited by Eggman; 03-18-2016 at 07:47 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Doesnt the body roll make the car "more exciting" when taking the curves? Like a rollercoaster ride?

I havent had any trouble with the curves myself at the slower speeds that I tend to drive

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)