Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which oil to use

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by namco View Post
    Its not just for eco reasons. Sorry. Im telling you, tolerances within the motor are tighter than older motors. Good luck to whoever puts 5w30 or thicker oil in their mirage at low mileage. Ive seen a lot of complaints on oil consumption online and early engine wear. It dont matter what you use the car for the oil it requires it requires. The reason race cars use thicker oils is that they manufacture them to do so. My sti takes 5w30, i can have it rebuilt with looser tolerances and run 10w50. But you know more than me so wnjoy a toasted motor.
    You have a tendency to jump to conclusions.

1. I never said it was *just* for eco reasons. However, I did say it was a part of it.
    2. I never advocated for thicker oils. Other members have noted that the manufacturer of these vehicles advise on using different viscosities in markets other than North America, and have brought it up for discussion. I never did.

Keep reaching your own conclusions though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Its not just for eco reasons. Sorry. Im telling you, tolerances within the motor are tighter than older motors. Good luck to whoever puts 5w30 or thicker oil in their mirage at low mileage. Ive seen a lot of complaints on oil consumption online and early engine wear. It dont matter what you use the car for the oil it requires it requires. The reason race cars use thicker oils is that they manufacture them to do so. My sti takes 5w30, i can have it rebuilt with looser tolerances and run 10w50. But you know more than me so wnjoy a toasted motor.
    Strangely enough 5w-30 is ok to use in Japan and the Netherlands and a whole other range of oil viscosities. Mitsubishi doesn't build the 3A92 with different tolerances based upon the country it is being sold. If it's OK to use 5w-30 in Japan & the Netherlands it's OK to use 5w-30 here in the USA.

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...il-Viscosities

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-20-2016),poorman1 (03-20-2016)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    On that note, i use only real synthetics, royal purple, amsoil, rotella, etc. I stay away from cheap oil and brands who arent "full synthetic" even though the bottle says it is....
    That's great, if it's working for you.

I'm using "Fully conventional" 5W-30 Pennzoil, and it's working for me

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cookiemonster For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-20-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It would be nice to use 5w-30 because its usually on sale and cheaper in price than 0w-20

But I would hate to get into any warranty dispute over this. Its Murphy's law and I dont want to gamble on having a warranty claim denied (speaking for myself).
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    It would be nice to use 5w-30 because its usually on sale and cheaper in price than 0w-20

But I would hate to get into any warranty dispute over this. Its Murphy's law and I dont want to gamble on having a warranty claim denied (speaking for myself).
    I wouldn't worry too much about viscosities unless you were attempting to run straight 30w or 50w in freezing temps. Lots of members running other grades worldwide with no lubrication issues. That's the thing about the 3A92, mechanically rock solid regardless where it's being used. Pakistan, Philippines, Australia, Europe, North & South America. Not a single instance of engine failure reported and if there was you know there would be somebody on here talking about because problems drive people to forums. I think that speaks to the quality of Mitsubishi's manufacturing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post

I'm not worried about warranty issues, because the manual states that 0W-20/ILSAC certification are only recommended in the uS, not required.

The only requirement is API SN classified oil.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cookiemonster For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-21-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    I'm not worried about warranty issues, because the manual states that 0W-20/ILSAC certification are only recommended in the uS, not required.

The only requirement is API SN classified oil.
    Yup, exactly.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Rofl. Its funny to hear people speak who dont know anything. Cars are literally my life as a certified mechanic.

In oil, the lower the number the thinner the oil. The higher the number the thicker the oil. The motor calls for 0w20, a thin oil, because not only tight tolerances in the engine itself but also the oil pump. Thicker oil will make the pump not work correctly and thus causing premature engine failure. And yes, many times japanese motors are vastly different than the american counter parts. But by all means, run what you want, people like yall keep me in business.....

Would love to hear a mitsubishi certified tech put their .02 in but i doubt amy are on here who are certified to that level....

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Rofl. Its funny to hear people speak who dont know anything. Cars are literally my life as a certified mechanic.

In oil, the lower the number the thinner the oil. The higher the number the thicker the oil. The motor calls for 0w20, a thin oil, because not only tight tolerances in the engine itself but also the oil pump. Thicker oil will make the pump not work correctly and thus causing premature engine failure. And yes, many times japanese motors are vastly different than the american counter parts. But by all means, run what you want, people like yall keep me in business.....

Would love to hear a mitsubishi certified tech put their .02 in but i doubt amy are on here who are certified to that level....

I would agree with you if Mitsubishi had the same standards worldwide for oil but since they don't well I think you can draw the conclusion that the oil pump is designed to function over a large range of viscosity. The part number for the oil pump is the same in the Netherlands as it is in the USA. The 3A92 isn't a twin turbo 400 hp motor. It's a engine designed to operate in 2nd & 3rd world conditions. Me thinks thou protests too much.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (03-21-2016)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Rofl. Its funny to hear people speak who dont know anything.
    Quite an inflammatory statement. To whom do you refer, and do you have any evidence to support your claim?

...The motor calls for 0w20, a thin oil, because not only tight tolerances in the engine itself but also the oil pump. Thicker oil will make the pump not work correctly and thus causing premature engine failure. And yes, many times japanese motors are vastly different than the american counter parts...
    The problem with this argument is it assumes that the US-Spec 3A92 is fundamentally different to other regions. Yes, there are some differences, such as a MAF sensor setup, etc., however we've yet to uncover any evidence that the US 3A92s are built to closer tolerances than elsewhere in the world. Now, whilst I can't prove that it isn't, if one looks at Mitsubishi's strategy for the Mirage - Their 'Global Small' car that uses a common platform, suspension components, interiors, engines, CVTs, etc., etc. all over the globe, then it would seem a little silly for them to totally re-engineer a power unit for one market when it already met the required performance goals in terms of power, MPG and emissions.

I believe we do have such a member on here. Perhaps they'll contribute to this discussion and answer your points.

I should mention that, having corresponded with them on the matter, Mitsubishi UK specify a 5w30 API 'SN' oil as the standard service fill, but the owner's manual lists a number of suitable grades from 0w20 onward, depending on the temperature range one expects to encounter.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 3 CVT 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)