Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which oil to use

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by namco View Post
    The motor calls for 0w20, a thin oil, because not only tight tolerances in the engine itself but also the oil pump. Thicker oil will make the pump not work correctly and thus causing premature engine failure.
    Namco, thanks for your contributions, I find them quite revealing.

If you would please, provide some clarification as to your source for the 'tight tolerances' you refer to so much. I am interested in learning both how you know this and what your source is so I can learn this as well as you.

Quote Originally Posted by namco View Post
    Would love to hear a mitsubishi certified tech put their .02 in but i doubt amy are on here who are certified to that level....
    As has been said earlier, there are Mitsubishi tecs here. I'm not sure they are following this though. Do you mind if I ask why that would matter? I thought the owner's manual gives the details clear enough.

Thanks!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Sheeesh. Oil changes are the one maintenance item the Mirage needs. There are no points to replace, no distributor caps, distributor rotors, spark plug wires, etc to deal with as there were on older cars. Plus, the oil change intervals are much higher than they used to be.

So why cheap out on the oil?? Just use what they tell us to use.

Member BillThompsonMirage-ES-CVT's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sheeesh. Oil changes are the one maintenance item the Mirage needs. There are no points to replace, no distributor caps, distributor rotors, spark plug wires, etc to deal with as there were on older cars. Plus, the men to that.oil change intervals are much higher than they used to be.

Amen to that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.4 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Can't go wrong with a Fram ultra synthetic filter and a jug of 0w20 mobile 1 Eco. It's cheap because we only need 3 quarts and you will know your using the best. I run rediculous oil, I am the test mule I guess, my oil (eneos sustina 0w20) is $12.50 quart x3 $37.50+9.00 Fram ultra=$46.50 every 7k miles. Which for some that may sound expensive but my dealer charges $54.00 for a synthetic oil change and they use Castrol syntech and mitsu filter. For almost $10 cheaper I can do my oil change myself and use the most fancy oil I can find for my car.

If your running mobile 1 Eco it's $24 a oil change with a Fram ultra. When I get my hands on a second mirage I'll run only mobile 1 Eco.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Same topic is discussed at length. To original poster, 0w40 is fine for top off or general use, and if you get it cheaper use it without fear. Cookie monster has diligently researched and verified factory viscosity recommendations and they cover a broad range. He has also with confidence demonstrated that conventional 5w30 protects with an appropriate maintenance schedule. Thank you for that. I use synthetic 0w20 (whichever brand is on sale) because I like the extended maintenance schedule of 7500 miles and it protects very well for my driving style. Because of the engine cooling system, the protection a particular oil viscosity gives an engine is independent of ambient temperature once up to operating temp. In summary use a multi viscosity (0w or 5w) 20 30 or 40 weight oil and be well protected with the standard worldwide engine tolerances (make sure to use local manual recommend for warranty consideration). Use synthetic or conventional with proper maintenance schedule.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 46.2 mpg (US) ... 19.6 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickpon View Post
    Can't you just get a 5W-40 synthetic that's not Shell, though? Why does it have to be Shell?
    because thats the only first thing that popped into my mind and its the closes gas station we have here.

anyways there is another one i heard of but i dont know if its good, have you heard ROYAL PURPLE? is that good instead of shells Helix?

heres whats available:
    Multi-Grade Oils: SAE 5W30, SAE 10W30, SAE 10W40, SAE 15W40, SAE 20W50

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Royal Purple is widely considered to be a good quality lubricant, but can be expensive.

Stick to the ILSAC starburst certification, or API SN or better.

The topic is often subject to holy wars, where posters have strongly held beliefs about which is best. That's why I suggest using lubricants certified according to the manufacturer's recommendations. If the lubricant meets that criteria, you should be good to go.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Royal Purple is widely considered to be a good quality lubricant, but can be expensive.

Stick to the ILSAC starburst certification, or API SN or better.

The topic is often subject to holy wars, where posters have strongly held beliefs about which is best. That's why I suggest using lubricants certified according to the manufacturer's recommendations. If the lubricant meets that criteria, you should be good to go.
    Pennzoil ultra is pretty good according to tests I've seen but I don't think wallymart carries 0w20 in 5qt jugs
    Last edited by cyclopathic; 03-28-2016 at 07:37 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    Pennzoil ultra is pretty good according to tests I've seen but I don't think wallymart carries 0w20 in 5gal jars
    Although I haven't looked for that big of a bottle before; I didn't think Walmart, or even a store like Autozone sold 5 Gallon bottles of any type of oil.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have pretty much switched to the Mobil 1 0W40 European formula for all my cars requiring 5W30. I understand the European makes require more anti-wear additives and define a "synthetic" oil differently than we do in the US. Group 3 oils can be synthetic here while Europe requires Group 4 or 5 oils so they are a "true" synthetic oil for the European makes. The Group 3 isn't bad, the others are just better.

You can get pretty much any Mobil 1 product for about $25 at Wal-Mart in the 5 quart jug. This includes the 0W20 AFE & EP (I understand this is better), as well as the 0W40 European and other stuff like 5W30, 10W30, etc.

As I came to the Mirage from the 3 cylinder Geo Metro, these use hydraulic valve lifters. They are also not forgiving to having too thick of an oil used because the lifters overpump leading to burnt valves. I think that with the solid lifters, this wouldn't be much of an issue. I would be more worried about tolerances in the rings and bearings as well as messing with the variable valve timing of this engine.

The 0W40 would probably be my choice if this isn't a concern for engine wear over the spec 0W20.

Conor