Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Which oil to use

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So much bad info in this thread. There are no mechanical differences from one country to the next and a 0w-20 is not required.....anywhere. It is recommended, and legally, recommended, is completely different than required. In America the only legal requirement is that the oil display the ILSAC starburst symbol for gas engines. Additionally there is a minimum and maximum oil pressure required at idle and then at 3,500 rpm. If your oil meets those parameters it is permited. The acceptable oil pressure range, especially at 3,500 rpm is huge which allows us to use a wide range of viscosities. If engine wear and tolerances were the sole dictator of viscosity we would not see 0w-40 for example being allowed in the Middle East (a hot market) but 0w-20 being "required" in hot Texas. 0w-20 is recommended solely for emissions and mpg and not required. If anyone questions this I will provide you with an image from the owners manual and factory repair manual proving as such.

Long story short - this engine (and oil pump, tolerances etc etc etc) is designed to use just about any viscosity readily available.

Last edited by gone.a; 06-01-2017 at 10:22 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    good day, just want to ask what can i use in our mirage? here in the Philippines the weather is hot.

i did try to visit the dealer casa and it will cost me alot. so i decided to visit shell gas station and have a quotation and wonderfully its a quarter of what i should pay for the mitsubishi casa.

now the question is, since our mirage indicates in the manual to use a 5w-40 shell only has a semi synthetic 5w-40 but offers instead of a 0w-40 full synth, and from my last 5k PMS i went to fully sinthetic. is it ok to use a 0w for topup or should i change the oil in full? and will the 0w-40 work fine with our engine in a tropical country like ours?

Attachment 5449
    Attachment 5450
    You can use either oil to top off or for complete replacement oil change. With the API -SN rating as well as the ACEA A3/B4 rating both are very good oils and are interchangeable. The ow is just slightly thinner (in a good way) at start up temps than the 5w.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have considered using the Mobil 1 0W40 European formula oil in the Mirage. What do you think? This meets all the specs listed here and would offer a little more protection in high temps. I run this as my universal oil for engines calling for 5W30 and 10W30 with great luck so far. It does well in my 3 cylinder Geo Metros.

Seriously, is there a thing wrong with the Mobil 1 0W20 EP that I have been using compared to a slightly thicker oil in these engines. Has anyone done an oil analysis for wear? I mean they give a 100,000 mile warranty with this oil specified in the manual so it can't be lacking too much.

Or, is there a better option?

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cwatkin View Post
    I have considered using the Mobil 1 0W40 European formula oil in the Mirage. What do you think? This meets all the specs listed here and would offer a little more protection in high temps. I run this as my universal oil for engines calling for 5W30 and 10W30 with great luck so far. It does well in my 3 cylinder Geo Metros.

Seriously, is there a thing wrong with the Mobil 1 0W20 EP that I have been using compared to a slightly thicker oil in these engines. Has anyone done an oil analysis for wear? I mean they give a 100,000 mile warranty with this oil specified in the manual so it can't be lacking too much.

Or, is there a better option?

Conor

I used Mobil One 0w-20 EP for 15,000 hard, hot, miles in the California desert, and sent a sample in to Blackstone. Wear was super good (aluminum could have been better but I think my engine was still breaking in plus I beat on it pretty hard) and the TBN was still decent. Could have gone longer.

I just finished a 10,000 mile oil change with Mobile One 0w-40 Euro and will have Blackstone results in 2-3 weeks. So I can answer your question perfectly at that point. Whichever has lower wear per mile, is the oil I will stick with.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Has anyone done an oil analysis for wear?
    Yes, I found some results posted by forum members:

Top Fuel:
    Oil Analysis After First 1,000 Miles
    5,000 Mile Oil Analysis

ThreePot:
    Here's a Blackstone on my 3A92

ahausheer:
    15,000 Mile Oil Analysis - Results

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Daox (06-02-2017)

Country
    Portugal
    Thanks
    First oil change... 0w20 100% synthetic specialy developed for Honda and Mitsubishi engines for fuel eficency... 16euros a litre plus tax...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Have any of the oil analysis results come back on the Mobil 1 0W40 in these engines yet?

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Have any of the oil analysis results come back on the Mobil 1 0W40 in these engines yet?

Conor
    Refer to post #35

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I see reference to a post that there is going to be a result for the 0W40 but not that it has actually happened yet. I will keep looking in case I missed it.

Also, I am no expert in interpreting these things. How are they turning out on the various oils out there?

Thanks,

Conor

I used to use mobil 1 0w20. Now I use Klondike(cheaper!) 0w20 fully synthetic from a 55 gallon drum. I still use the made in Thailand mitsubishi filter #MZ690072. None of the cars I service have any lifter noise on cold starts like some others have complained about. One or two rattle for a few seconds on startup immediately after an oil change but otherwise everything runs like new.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (07-21-2017)