Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should I return my Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ajal87 View Post
    Hi, there. I stumbled upon this forum and these threads by searching user reviews on the Mirage. I actually just bought one a couple days ago. So far, I love it, but I'm pretty concerned about this rear tire misalignment defect.

I bought my 2014 from CarMax, which offers a 5-day return window, which I'm still within. I have almost no knowledge of car mechanics and little desire to have to periodically fix an issue caused by a defect. I do not know if my vehicle suffers from this. My steering feels fine as far as I can tell, and I think CarMax put on new tires, so there's no evidence of increased wear. My car has about 32,000 miles on it.

My question is this: is this a serious and pervasive enough defect that you would recommend I return this car given Mitsubishi's lack of willingness to address it?
    How much did you pay for the car? Is it de or es? manual or cvt?

advise me and i will do the math for you (if you should negotiate discount versus return the car for refund)

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    How much did you pay for the car? Is it de or es? manual or cvt?

advise me and i will do the math for you (if you should negotiate discount versus return the car for refund)
    ES trim with nav, CVT, and I paid $12,000.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    "Can I expect problem to get worse?" no it is pretty much either you have it or not luck of draw. Normally this would be fixable with alignment, but it cannot be on this car.

As others mentioned OEM tires should have been close to being worn at 30k and may have been needed to be replaced to pass inspection.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Thanks for all the insight, everyone. I hadn't considered negotiating a discount, though I'm not sure how amenable CarMax would be to that proposition. But I may give it a try to help offset the possibility of increased costs.
    Take CarMax up on their 5 day return policy - it would be the biggest discount ever.

ES trim with nav, CVT, and I paid $12,000.
    That would be a sweet price for a new model with those options.

However, a quick look at Edmunds.com for used Mirages suggests that price is on the high side of the market.

Mitsubishi dealers have rebates on new old stock 2015 models that bring the price down to that range, even less. They might not have the navigation package, but many smartphones will do that for you. Plus, you can take the phone with you when you leave. More importantly, the buyer of a new model gets the benefit of the full 10 year 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty from Mitsubishi.

I hope everything works out for you. Let us know what you decide.
    Last edited by Eggman; 03-20-2016 at 09:27 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-20-2016),poorman1 (03-20-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  f849aa25-f60b-4647-a711-5ae6320e3c70.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  28.3 KB

Alright, so here I am. A little out of spec.

Almost 32,000 miles. CarMax's warranty does not cover this and it sounds like Mitsubishi has been pretty unhelpful for customers.

What do you think? Return, try to negotiate discount, suck it up?

Thanks.
    Last edited by ajal87; 03-20-2016 at 07:53 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ajal87 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-20-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts
    I would say return because the $3500 rebate that is still in effect you could get an brand new ES for less than $12k. Plus you'd have a 2015 with the 10/100k warranty, free roadside service for 5 yrs. You may not get Nav & a backup camera but we've had members replace the head unit with Nav & backup units with no issues.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (03-20-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts
    @ajal87 Oh Snaps! Saw on the printout you're in Oregon also. I'm down here in Coos Bay

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    @ajal87 Oh Snaps! Saw on the printout you're in Oregon also. I'm down here in Coos Bay
    Hey, the OTHER Mirage owner in Oregon! I think I saw your car once!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ajal87 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-20-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    What do you think? Return, try to negotiate discount, suck it up?

Thanks.
    A new 2015 might have the same problem. However, new cars include all adjustments in the first year. It is easier for a dealer to address the rear axle alignment within this period, for the original owner.

If you decide to keep this one, you will likely be stuck with that rear axle.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    A new 2015 might have the same problem. However, new cars include all adjustments in the first year. It is easier for a dealer to address the rear axle alignment within this period, for the original owner.

If you decide to keep this one, you will likely be stuck with that rear axle.
    I guess I shouldn't sweat it much if it's not a progressive issue that will get worse over time, since it doesn't appear to be a major deviation from spec. Does this generally get worse over time or will it pretty much stay at this measurement?