Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hill Start Assist

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have to say it like this.....

Why in the **** do you need any kind of assistance?

Honestly though, cursing aside, why? I have been driving manual trans for 9 years, and ive never had to use ebrake to help me start on a hill, even a really really steep one by my old house. Just get off brake step on gas let go of clutch. I keep seeing more and more people talk about a hill start assist, maybe just be a better driver?

On that note my dad has the cvt and he doesnt have hill start assist.

Bikerfreind
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Namco, it's nice to have a hill start when you have to start at a 19% hill or steeper
    (Or just like i do, use the handbrake) i would say, if you have cars behind you it's a good thing to have)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by namco View Post
    I have to say it like this.....

Why in the **** do you need any kind of assistance?
    Lol I guess I'm just not as skilled a driver as you!

In reality, in reading over the feature list, I was simply curious to learn more about it, that's all.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I have HSA and like it. Less faffing between the handbrake and throttle. I don't rely on it, yet I do find it useful.

Quote Originally Posted by namco View Post
    ive never had to use ebrake to help me start on a hill, even a really really steep one by my old house. Just get off brake step on gas let go of clutch.
    Problem with this is that you're putting the strain (and extra wear) on the clutch by feathering it on a hill to keep the car still. Much better to use the handbrake to take the car's weight whilst you bring the clutch to bite - you won't need as much throttle and/or need to slip the clutch so much. Considerably less chance of making a mistake and the car rolling back either.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 3 CVT 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Teasmade For This Useful Post:

Cleartec (03-20-2016),Eggman (03-20-2016),Tuques (03-20-2016)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teasmade View Post
    I have HSA and like it. Less faffing between the handbrake and throttle. I don't rely on it, yet I do find it useful.

Problem with this is that you're putting the strain (and extra wear) on the clutch by feathering it on a hill to keep the car still. Much better to use the handbrake to take the car's weight whilst you bring the clutch to bite - you won't need as much throttle and/or need to slip the clutch so much. Considerably less chance of making a mistake and the car rolling back either.
    With this technique clutch slip/burning is less

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teasmade View Post

Using the clutch to hold your position on a hill is a sure fire way to glaze the pressure plate, fry the clutch. Using the E-brake or being adept enough to coordinate brake/clutch work are about your only options. Unless replacing the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing every 20k seems like fun

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Bikerfreind
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Found a video showing you what to do, it's a bit long, but he is doing the right thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYDAwfOfUw4