Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hill Start Assist

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts

Hill Start Assist

I have a 2015 Mirage ES with manual transmission. Can anyone help me figure out if I have HSA?

Thanks!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sadly, nope. Only the CVTs have them. I believe the 2017 will have HSA for all transmissions. As easily as the Mirage rolls forward (and backward), I asked the salesman when I bought the car why the transmission that needs it least (CVT) has it, and the one that needs it most (5MT) doesn't. He shrugged and said, "Dumb Mitsubishi decision. Doesn't make sense."

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wellswebdesign For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-19-2016)

Bikerfreind
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Mine has Hill start assistent even if its a Manual does your not have that function?
    ( Pull the handbrake, if the Hill is to step and start normally )

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to uheym For This Useful Post:

Cleartec (03-19-2016),Eggman (03-19-2016),poorman1 (03-19-2016)

The CVT needs hill start assist because it switches to neutral when you stop (to save fuel), and it takes a split second to go back into gear when you release the foot brake.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-19-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wellswebdesign View Post
    Sadly, nope. Only the CVTs have them. I believe the 2017 will have HSA for all transmissions.
    Aww! And here I thought I researched this car so thoroughly... That's hilarious. You just saved me from trying to get it to work on any given hill, no doubt saving me from causing an accident.

Quote Originally Posted by uheym View Post
    Mine has Hill start assistent even if its a Manual does your not have that function?
    ( Pull the handbrake, if the Hill is to step and start normally )
    Right you are! So long as I continue using my handbrake as I have for 34 years, I do have HSA after all.

All I need is another set of eyes to help me see.

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    The CVT needs hill start assist because it switches to neutral when you stop (to save fuel), and it takes a split second to go back into gear when you release the foot brake.
    This is very interesting. Where did you learn this so I (we?) could learn more?

Thanks so much.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    I have learnt that automatic transmissions start rolling forward as soon as brake pedal is released. I am really confused, why equip it on auto then? I had struggle with the mirage on hills, untill I learnt to use the handbrake(works every time). LEARNING TIME: If you use the hand brake, instead of pulling it, try to pull it with with button pressed in while holding it. To start simply find the clutch engagement along with the gas pedal, quickly release your handbrake(still with button pressed down). This technic is far better than hill assist I suppose

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleartec View Post
    I have learnt that automatic transmissions start rolling forward as soon as brake pedal is released. I am really confused, why equip it on auto then?
    According to MetroMPG, the CVT on these cars goes into neutral.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Found it: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage Specifications. It's under Safety & Security.

Hill Start Assist (HSA) (CVT only)

Not fair.

Next question: does this involve any hardware, or is it simply an option to be selected in the vehicle electronics?

Cheers.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Cleartec (03-19-2016)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Found it: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage Specifications. It's under Safety & Security.

Hill Start Assist (HSA) (CVT only)

Not fair.

Next question: does this involve any hardware, or is it simply an option to be selected in the vehicle electronics?

Cheers.
    Hardware, what about software?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My thoughts exactly.