Country
    United States
    Thanks

Dropping the daily, more ebay spring *fun

Name:  mirage1s.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  94.1 KB
    in all it's stocklyness.

Being a car nerd, I knew when i bought this car it would have to get down at some point, and i had heard the ebay/amazon/generic springs were janky, and figure i'd give them a shot, for kicks! The rates are sketchy, but they fit correctly at least.
    Name:  springs1s.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  99.1 KB
    i mounted them in their proper spots, as well as reversed, which gave the car a killer rake, and an overall cool look, but because the rear springs are kindof terrible, it rode predictably poorly reversed, too bad really. in their correct spots, the ride was more livable, but the springs in the rear were, as has been mentioned in other posts, were just not up to the job and sagged too much, so i ditched the new rear springs in favor of stock.
    Name:  frontlow1s.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  73.2 KB
    nice n low in the front... too bad
    Name:  rearlow1s.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  96.5 KB
    waaaay too low in the rear... :'(

after the front spring upgrade, the car does ride better, and sit lower (slightly) in the front, but again, as others have said, and i can confirm, get the tein/eibach/rs*r whatevers and don't waste $ on these if you have an option to pay more, it's worth it, but if all you have is 68$ + free shipping, then go for it, it's at least worth the $ to crawl around under one of these and have some educational swappage fun, just be careful and make sure you know car basics and whatnot before mangling your underside.

and a video...

rim spoiler:
    Name:  wheel1s.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  82.0 KB

Last edited by Thestunch; 03-22-2016 at 04:19 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thestunch For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-22-2016),Eggman (03-22-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Nice post. Interesting music in the video...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    We have a set of TEIN which cane with coilovers and they are exactly like eBay set you describe. Rears (and fronts) too soft and rears too bottom out with some load in the back. At least the height is adjustable to correct level as they came with adjusters. If the issue with your eBay rears is height not rate you can adjust it by putting an insulator good luck.
    Last edited by cyclopathic; 03-22-2016 at 11:19 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Thanks for the quick review!

Of all the spring options, H&R or Eibach would be the ones I go with. Nobody has said anything bad about them, and I've used them on other cars in the past with great results.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Thestunch (03-22-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ill keep that mind, i think ill run coilovers next time and just kip the spring stage lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post

Of all the spring options, H&R or Eibach would be the ones I go with. Nobody has said anything bad about them, and I've used them on other cars in the past with great results.
    By the looks (front springs 7.5 turns vs 10.5 on rears) the rate ratio btw F/R should be 1.4. This is pretty much inline with TEIN specst which list their srping rates as 168/118. Since the springs advertised as 175/205lbs/in, I am guessing 205 is when the spring is compressed and the middle section is locked out. When it is not going by 1.4 ratio they should be ~125lbs (that if 175 is true).

I suspect that the rates of rears on 2015 are higher than 118lbs/in (2.1kg/mm). If you were bent to make the eBay springs work, the easiest way would be to install 1" insulators and perhaps spring spacers to increase initial rate.

Issue with TEIN BASIS that they don't have adjustable damping, and with soft springs+not enough damping = bad ride.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post

I have had my Eibach springs for over a week now and I still really like them. The ride is firm and stable but not jarring at all especially on our terrible Cleveland roads. The best car I can compare the ride to is the Fiesta ST.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Thestunch View Post
    Name:  rearlow1s.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  96.5 KB
    waaaay too low in the rear... :'(

after the front spring upgrade, the car does ride better, and sit lower (slightly) in the front, but again, as others have said, and i can confirm, get the tein/eibach/rs*r whatevers and don't waste $ on these if you have an option to pay more, it's worth it, but if all you have is 68$ + free shipping, then go for it, it's at least worth the $ to crawl around under one of these and have some educational swappage fun, just be careful and make sure you know car basics and whatnot before mangling your underside.
    Just installed rears, and IMHO they are an improvement over OEMs and TEINs. TEINs (the ones which came with coilovers) were too soft and had <3" of travel. OEMs were about the same rate as or slightly higher than TEINs but would top out on shorter TEIN shocks.

TEINs are rated at 118lbs measured ~106lbs/in these ones are ~130 if my math is correct. Less body roll and they are dual rate, so no seesaw .

BUT you need to use spacers to get them to desired ride height. We used vinyl tubing to match front height, if you need higher (and you will on OEM shocks) you would need to use insulator to get it to right height.

Last edited by cyclopathic; 03-28-2016 at 08:02 PM.