Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Developing a rear sway bar alternative

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Sounds like a good idea to me. It'll definitely stiffen it up. It may become very stiff afterwards. I'm not sure thats a real bad thing though. You'll have a bit harsher ride but I would imagine you are willing to give it a try.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    To be honest I think plateing in the open side of the triangle shaped beam will not allow the beam to twist , placing a torsion rod inside the triangle like most performance fwd cars have would be a better option, choosing the correct size torsion rod is the hard part .

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Seriously, just putting a solid piece of Steel connecting the factory holes on the rear lower spring mounts made a night and day difference on my car. At highway speeds it no longer see sawed while changing lanes or going over dips in the road. It increased handling feel tremendously while making the car feel much more stable over everyday maneuvers including breaking. It inspired confidence at higher highway speeds. It also helped keep the rear wheels planted while going over bumps during turning maneuvers. This is a front wheel drive vehicle and though the power and steering is by the front wheels you must think of your rear as the stabilizer. You don't want them all over the place for road driving you want them as flat as possible. Tightening up the rear dramatically changed the Dynamics of the front of the vehicle.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am starting to revisit this topic now that I have my own Mirage.

I was really hoping that someone with an UR bar could assist me. I am looking for measurements of the bar so I can get a rough idea of how strong it is.

I need dimensions A, B, and C off of this diagram. A and C need to be measured to the closest mounting hole.

Name:  Sway-Bar-Insert.jpg
Views: 1327
Size:  25.7 KB
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh, and if at all possible, a weight would be great. I realize this is unlikely, but if someone hasn't installed theirs yet...

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    your idea looks the same as on the pic.

Name:  FB_IMG_1515408236594.jpg
Views: 1128
Size:  44.6 KB

Name:  FB_IMG_1515408255106.jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  50.8 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mitsumi For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-10-2018),mohammad (10-30-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've seen that sort of design before. Whiteline an Australian company made that type for some vehicles.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Any idea who makes that bar out of curiosity?

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Any idea who makes that bar out of curiosity?
    I just looked up "Orange sway bar." A company called Orange Line popped up. Seems similar in design as the picture above.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Daox, looks like the issue here is that the clams aren't engaging with the torsion beam except on the top. It looks like under load, the angle stock could remain straight because the torsion beam has room to flex before hitting the flat bar. perhaps flipping the U shackle or making a more form-fitting cradle to hold the angle stock snugly to the torsion beam might work. I'm no expert, but I'm in the area and have some limited design and fab experience of my own, so I wouldn't mind meeting up with you sometime to argue over a some napkin drawings or do some prototyping (at least once the weather warms up).

2014 Mirage GLX 5MT Plasma Purple
    2004 Accord EX 5MT Graphite Pearl RIP

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. -- That's why Ford outsells Mitsu in the US

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bzacon For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-14-2018)