Thread: Developing a rear sway bar alternative

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I like that these are all reversible/no drill solutions. I just found this though, and it looks effective, although it requires drilling and this high quality version requires welding as well. I imagine this could be done more simply with some square stock, sleeves and bolts with welding being (suggested) but technically optional.

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/t...ar-Torsion-Bar!

I did a rough model of what I'm thinking; I'm not an engineer so feel free to shoot holes in it. My main concern is bearing loads from the bolt sleeves on both the torsion beam and the stiffener tube. Perhaps careful sizing and using washers instead of spacers could mitigate that.
    Name:  Screenshot (7042).jpg
Views: 1488
Size:  92.7 KB
    Name:  Screenshot (7039).jpg
Views: 1469
Size:  84.7 KB
    To clarify, the assembly shown goes entirely within the torsion bar, with flange bolts/nuts on outside passing through the sleeves. Sleeves are intended to spread bearing load from the bolts and to center the stiffener in the torsion beam. I haven't been under my car to take measurements yet, so dimensions are approximate (for this model, I used 1.25 square tube with a 1/16 wall, and 5/8 sleeves over (1/2" bolts).
    Last edited by bzacon; 01-14-2018 at 12:17 AM.
    2014 Mirage GLX 5MT Plasma Purple
    2004 Accord EX 5MT Graphite Pearl RIP

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. -- That's why Ford outsells Mitsu in the US

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bzacon For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-14-2018)