Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ambient temperature sensor/display (activating temp display in MID via ETACS)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm still really interested in installing the sensor/display from an older Mercedes since I couldn't get the etacts changes to work, I asked on my Mercedes forum about how much current the sensor pulls and they said:

"The sensor is a resister, the resistance varies with temperature. Measure the resistance of the sensor and use it to divide 12v and that will give you the current. Very little."

I want to ask how I would get power to the unit via the cables that are made for the Mercedes connectors but I feel like I need to just get it and show you all what I'm working with. It shouldn't be that difficult I don't think...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdlca View Post
    I want to ask how I would get power to the unit via the cables that are made for the Mercedes connectors but I feel like I need to just get it and show you all what I'm working with. It shouldn't be that difficult I don't think...
    Do you have any pictures, diagrams, or schematics to post?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Do you have any pictures, diagrams, or schematics to post?
    Going to check right now

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here we go
    Name:  wiring.jpg
Views: 1613
Size:  29.2 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Well, that seems pretty straightforward. How do you plan on installing this?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    Im wanting to activate mine as well, but had no luck. Got to the same part as Jdlca, unable to commit changes.
    Has anyone else besides satira and mitz had any success using this method?
    I have succesfully enabled cruise, ambient temperature, instant MPG, and fog lights using ETACS decoder and mini-VCI cable.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HydroJim For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-28-2017),Eggman (06-18-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroJim View Post
    I have succesfully enabled cruise, ambient temperature, instant MPG, and fog lights using ETACS decoder and mini-VCI cable.
    Is there anyway you can post how exactly you did it, I could not get it to change when I tried, can I just drive over to Alabama and have to do it? haha (just kidding)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Is there anyway you can post how exactly you did it, I could not get it to change when I tried, can I just drive over to Alabama and have to do it? haha (just kidding)
    Ironically, I'm in Tucson, Arizona for the next 2 months but unfortunately I don't have my cable with me. Plus, it's still a bit of a drive from LA.

So I will be the first to admit that getting everything to work took me about 10 frustrating hours in total. First, you're dealing with some ****ty VCI cable from China with sketchy software. Then you're dealing with ETACS decoder made by a guy in Russia so all of the english instructions are poorly translated. I'm not even sure I could recreate a functioning setup on another computer. I've got everything running stable and I don't dare to move any of the files around on my computer. Even then, ETACS decoder crashes sometimes and sometimes my cable needs plugged in and unplugged a few times.

So here is a summary. I can't really make a step by step guide since it'll be different for everyone's setup.
    1) Buy yourself a ~$20 mini-VCI cable off ebay. I bought the cheapest one I could get. Came with some sketchy 32-bit drivers. I'm running 64-bit Windows 7.
    2) There are some online tutorials for getting the 32-bit drivers to work with 64-bit windows. Your first step is to get your PC to recognize fully the mini-VCI cable. Check in device manager to make sure it's recognized properly
    3) Once you get the cable reliably working with your PC, it should be smooth sailing from there. Get ETACS decoder up and running and remember you get free server requests so no need to pay for anything!
    4) To enable cruise control, you need to be in the engine tab and make sure you program using the programming option that doesn't say "flow control". I forget what it is called exactly but it's the one recommended for use with VCI. At this time, only modify the engine tab.
    5) To modify everything else, switch over to "flow control" and then you can do check engine codes and ETACS programming. This is the part that took me the longest to figure out. You can then turn off TPMS, enable fog lights, ambient temp, instant MPG, and some other stuff.

I hope that helps... Let me know if you have more questions.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HydroJim For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-28-2017),poorman1 (04-05-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroJim View Post
    Ironically, I'm in Tucson, Arizona for the next 2 months but unfortunately I don't have my cable with me. Plus, it's still a bit of a drive from LA.

So I will be the first to admit that getting everything to work took me about 10 frustrating hours in total. First, you're dealing with some ****ty VCI cable from China with sketchy software. Then you're dealing with ETACS decoder made by a guy in Russia so all of the english instructions are poorly translated. I'm not even sure I could recreate a functioning setup on another computer. I've got everything running stable and I don't dare to move any of the files around on my computer. Even then, ETACS decoder crashes sometimes and sometimes my cable needs plugged in and unplugged a few times.

So here is a summary. I can't really make a step by step guide since it'll be different for everyone's setup.
    1) Buy yourself a ~$20 mini-VCI cable off ebay. I bought the cheapest one I could get. Came with some sketchy 32-bit drivers. I'm running 64-bit Windows 7.
    2) There are some online tutorials for getting the 32-bit drivers to work with 64-bit windows. Your first step is to get your PC to recognize fully the mini-VCI cable. Check in device manager to make sure it's recognized properly
    3) Once you get the cable reliably working with your PC, it should be smooth sailing from there. Get ETACS decoder up and running and remember you get free server requests so no need to pay for anything!
    4) To enable cruise control, you need to be in the engine tab and make sure you program using the programming option that doesn't say "flow control". I forget what it is called exactly but it's the one recommended for use with VCI. At this time, only modify the engine tab.
    5) To modify everything else, switch over to "flow control" and then you can do check engine codes and ETACS programming. This is the part that took me the longest to figure out. You can then turn off TPMS, enable fog lights, ambient temp, instant MPG, and some other stuff.

I hope that helps... Let me know if you have more questions.
    The part about the cable and software cracked me up hahaha it's true... thank you for the instructions, I had gotten my computer to recognize the Mini VCI and I had etacts everything looked pretty good but every time I would try to enable ambient temp it would say "exceed number of attempts" I followed instructions but kept getting this error and just gave up (mind you this was over the course of like three days repeatedly trying it)...

Honestly if it was possible I totally wouldn't mind bringing my cable and driving down to Tuscon to see if you could get it to work and if it doesn't ehh I can at least get some Whataburger on the way out Lol but I forget your cable probably has different software than mine -_- I'll go ahead and re-download the software again and give it a try... but do let me know if we can give it a try in Tuscon, I want it to work that bad LOL

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The part about the cable and software cracked me up hahaha it's true... thank you for the instructions, I had gotten my computer to recognize the Mini VCI and I had etacts everything looked pretty good but every time I would try to enable ambient temp it would say "exceed number of attempts" I followed instructions but kept getting this error and just gave up (mind you this was over the course of like three days repeatedly trying it)...

Honestly if it was possible I totally wouldn't mind bringing my cable and driving down to Tuscon to see if you could get it to work and if it doesn't ehh I can at least get some Whataburger on the way out Lol but I forget your cable probably has different software than mine -_- I'll go ahead and re-download the software again and give it a try... but do let me know if we can give it a try in Tuscon, I want it to work that bad LOL
    Do you have any ETACS server requests left? I think it's in the upper right corner or something. If you used them all, you may have to buy a few. I think you're supposed to get one free one per day.

I'd keep playing with it and see what you can figure out. Maybe post your logs on the etacs decoder forum.

If you up for the drive, then I don't mind trying to help out a little bit. I just don't think there is anything I can do that you can't do yourself of you know what I mean.