Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the camber adjustable on 2014 Mirage?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Question Is the camber adjustable on 2014 Mirage?

Long story short, the one I bought had accident and repaired, but it has -1.97 negative camber on the front left side, is there a way to adjust the camber? The right side is still within spec -0.7.

Does anyone have a PDF Helms manual where I can download and see what can be done to correct it? Maybe shimming it with washers.

Last edited by codenamezero; 03-26-2016 at 09:59 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Rear camber?

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Front-replace the strut
    Rear-replace the axle
    Realign to confirm in specs

-.07 would be out of specs for front only

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    Front-replace the strut
    Rear-replace the axle
    Realign to confirm in specs

-.07 would be out of specs for front only

regards
    mech
    You can adjust front camber without replacing struts. A pair of 12mm camber bolts is <$15 (I actually paid $8.36 with free shipping), and will allow adjustment within +-1.9deg.

You can always go old school, get a file and slot upper bolt hole for free.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-26-2016)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    You can adjust front camber without replacing struts. A pair of 12mm camber bolts is <$15 (I actually paid $8.36 with free shipping), and will allow adjustment within +-1.9deg.

You can always go old school, get a file and slot upper bolt hole for free.
    Hum... I will see if I can ask the dealer who sold me the car replace the struct for free.

I am surprised you mention camber bolt, the Mitsubishi dealer (not the one the sold me the car) told me that there is no camber bolt for the Mirage... Are we talking about the same year of Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by codenamezero View Post
    Hum... I will see if I can ask the dealer who sold me the car replace the struct for free.

I am surprised you mention camber bolt, the Mitsubishi dealer (not the one the sold me the car) told me that there is no camber bolt for the Mirage... Are we talking about the same year of Mirage?
    There is no OEM camber bolts on Mirage, but it is widely available aftermarket item. Google camber bolts, search on YouTube and find one on Amazon. Beware that adjusting camber will require alignment good luck.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (03-27-2016)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    There is no OEM camber bolts on Mirage, but it is widely available aftermarket item. Google camber bolts, search on YouTube and find one on Amazon. Beware that adjusting camber will require alignment good luck.
    Can you show me a link of the said camber bolt? The one I found seems to be just a bolt with a nut that will be pushing something out? there is no washer or shims... not sure if that's the right one.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by codenamezero View Post
    Can you show me a link of the said camber bolt? The one I found seems to be just a bolt with a nut that will be pushing something out? there is no washer or shims... not sure if that's the right one.
    These are the ones we used: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LUU7D0E/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?qid=1459126826&amp;sr=8-7&amp;pi=SL75_QL70&amp;keywords=12mm+camber+bolt

Also check suspension sticky there is a post at the end with information on toe adjustment to compensate for camber.

Thanks
    If you have recourse with the seller, get them to replace the strut. If that does not correct the camber issue then they need to make sure the lower control arm mount is not tweaked which is the front crossmember.

Just rigging up a camber correction may do the job, but a bent strut will probably fail fairly rapidly.

Slotting the upper strut to knuckle mounting hole will also allow the camber to be "adjusted" as well as a special bolt.

The proper way to fix this is to determine exactly what is damaged and replace those parts. Suspension geometry is complicated with unrepaired damage contributing to instability and possible loss of control in an emergency.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yep, I was going to say you can adjust out the camber that much if you have to but you still have a bent strut!

Which is the precision part that does the telescoping in and out job as the suspension is moving so it's nice to have that straight.

If during the repair the strut was replaced already (and the camber is still this bad) then in my experience the second part to cause this after the strut is the knuckle that mounts to the strut and carries the wheel bearing.
    To replace the knuckle it is necessary to replace the wheel bearing as it is a pressed in bearing and gets destroyed when removed as in non transferrable to the new knuckle.
    ( I work on a lot of body shop wrecks on the mechanical/suspension/alignment aspect of them.)

If the wreck was bad enough to tweak the subframe/crossmember that's another possibility but in my opinion that would cause the camber to be out of specs in the other (positive) direction.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)