Thread: Mirage sedan being considered for U.S. Not sure if 1.2L is big enough.

Mirage sedan being considered for U.S. Not sure if 1.2L is big enough.

Here's a news story that Mitsu is considering bringing the sedan to North America, though their biggest concern is whether the 1.2L engine will be enough for power-hungry Americans.

Mitsubishi Motors Corp. will show a sedan version of its Mirage hatchback compact car to visitors from North America this month in Thailand, to gauge prospects for exporting the car to America.

[...]

The layout of the Thailand-made car -- both hatchback and sedan -- rules out swapping the engine for a larger one.

While there have been a few 3-cylinder hatchbacks available in the US over the years (including the current Smart Fortwo), as far as I know there has never been a sedan sold with a 3 pot. Even the iconic Chevrolet/Geo Metro went with a 1.3L 4-cylinder for its sedan version (the hatchback variant used a 1.0L three).

We don't have any official specs on the sedan yet, but the article says - not surprisingly - that the sedan is "slightly heavier" than the hatchback.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I can see why they'd have concern. However, the Mirage is not the slowest vehicle around... The Chevy Spark is based off power to weight ratios which we reviewed here:

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...tio-comparison
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

"Faster than a Chevy Spark"... maybe not the strongest marketing message ever.

It's all going to come down to price. People will buy a 1.2L sedan if the price is right.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I would agree.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    since they are making them now. if they decide to bring them to the U.S. when would you guess to see them here? this fall???

Good question. No idea!

Mitsubishi Technician live4redline's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ^ I would imagine a 2015 US release on the sedan if they decide to do it, which would be fall of 2014 more then likely. But who knows.

A lower power to weight ratio on the sedan is a big risk. The US market has been heavily influenced by so many cars being sold solely on power output so its going to be tough to sell the slowest car on the market. We don't have a road tax that forces you into an eco-box and typically you go for the best all round option available and not the one with a high mark in one area and the lowest in another. Otherwise more people would drive scooters.

I'm still worried about the US Markets response to the up coming hatchback and were already talking about a slower sedan.

Daily: 2017 Mirage G4 SE - Not Boosted Yet!

Current Project: Working on legitimate Mirage Tuning