Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Q: Does clutch riding affect FC?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Question Q: Does clutch riding affect FC?

as the title goes, its because i just noticed that i see lower km/l even on city driving when im usually driving while my foot is on the clutch (and i know its bad for the clutch). But then i tried changing my habit once in a while to get used to not stepping on the clutch and noticed a higher km/l in my odo.

or another question. does shifting gear to 1 eats more gas than shifting to 2 while moving on slow pace? on a traffic?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    as the title goes, its because i just noticed that i see lower km/l even on city driving when im usually driving while my foot is on the clutch (and i know its bad for the clutch). But then i tried changing my habit once in a while to get used to not stepping on the clutch and noticed a higher km/l in my odo.

or another question. does shifting gear to 1 eats more gas than shifting to 2 while moving on slow pace? on a traffic?
    Yes, it does.

Gear selection depends on vehicle speed and power requirements. Generally, the higher the gear the better the fuel economy. You could crawl in slow traffic in 5th gear if you are going fast enough. Note your car's engine speed at idle, and avoid accelerating below that.

Some drivers use engine off coasting to save fuel, but there are hazards and dangers involved with that, making that a risky recommendation.

And you shouldn't ride the clutch pedal...lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (03-31-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Riding the clutch will destroy the throwout bearing and possibly the pressure plate quickly
    Riding the clutch Hard enough to lower fuel economy is caused by actually slipping the clutch
    This will destroy the throwout bearing, pressure plate, clutch disc and flywheel

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Riding the clutch is bad, vey bad, horrible, no good, rotten, disasterous idea. Unless replacing the clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing and flywheel on a regular basis sounds like a good time. There's no reason for the Mirage's clutch to need replacement before 150k+ if driven properly. Riding the clutch will guarantee you a trip to the dealer or transmission shop in 10k or less depending how much you let it slip. You could cook a clutch in under 1 minute if You are aggressive about slippage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    hehe thats why im trying to get rid of that habit of mine

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    now im getting 13km/l on city driving ^^,

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    You could crawl in slow traffic in 5th gear if you are going fast enough. Note your car's engine speed at idle, and avoid accelerating below that.
    i dont know but im a bit cautious with my speed, if im on traffic i somtimes let the gear neutral while the car is still moving slow, because i noticed that if the meter goes lower i feel the engine vibration and feels that the car would stall if i dont change gears. i cant seem to get the car to revv on steadily.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, you want to avoid that noise with your engine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Eggman,
    . . . . It is also illegal in every state in the US.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    Eggman,
    . . . . It is also illegal in every state in the US.
    There's nothing quite like browsing the forum for old threads.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-12-2020)