Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any suggestions to improve performance?

Country
    Indonesia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

any suggestions to improve performance?

currently i'm thingking few option to improve my mirage performance, and also fuel consumption if posible.

my option is
    -ground cable
    -cold air induction open filter
    -ekshaust header
    -ecu remapped or piggyback

which one i should go first?
    or any other suggestions

thx

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There will be guys putting turbos on these in the future, then you would have to address the things you mentioned. Having done an exhaust and remap on a sportbike with 120 or so horsepower I could barely feel any difference. I would instead suggest removing every part that is not needed. Examples rear seats/belts, hatchback struts, spare tire, trim ete and etc. You might be surprised how many parts are on the car just for your comfort or convience. People say every 8 pounds equals one horsepower upon acceleration. That has more potential than spending bucks on the things you mentioned to get you a few more ponies and less mpgs. Whatever you end up doing, let us all know the results!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I wouldn't bother with much of any of that stuff.

Before doing a cold air intake, I'd make sure the factory intake is actually warm (which I doubt).

Before doing a filter replacement and/or intake rerouting I'd make sure there is actually a restriction (again I doubt this).

I highly doubt the grounds are not adequate, they can be improved upon I'm sure, but you're not pulling enough electrical power to see any real gains there.

ECU remap will do nothing unless you've done a good amount of changes to the engine already.

A header will gain you a little power and if its properly designed (which isn't likely) it could improve your fuel consumpion as well. I haven't seen anyone who has designed or made one though.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Agreed - I suspect a turbo is going to pop up on a 6th gen Mirage sooner or later.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Mitsubishi Technician live4redline's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Turbo? Who, what, where? Muhahahaha

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Check the exhaust for any back pressure I use a turbo psi gauge if there is a few psi or more there will be room for improvement with a freeing flowing exhaust. That will give you a little more power and better economy under normal driving conditions. May not be worth trouble and cost though.

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kalifornia View Post
    There will be guys putting turbos on these in the future, then you would have to address the things you mentioned. Having done an exhaust and remap on a sportbike with 120 or so horsepower I could barely feel any difference. I would instead suggest removing every part that is not needed. Examples rear seats/belts, hatchback struts, spare tire, trim ete and etc. You might be surprised how many parts are on the car just for your comfort or convience. People say every 8 pounds equals one horsepower upon acceleration. That has more potential than spending bucks on the things you mentioned to get you a few more ponies and less mpgs. Whatever you end up doing, let us all know the results!
    hi kalifornia
    i agree with you,
    that's very effective and cheap solution to increase performance and fuel consumption. i would done that if i want to participate on some kind of racing or some eco challenge that popular in my country

but definitely not on daily usages. my problems is, currently my every day rims is 205/40-r17 and i already felt some performance decrease compared to the stock bridgestone ecopia 165-65r14, because of the weight of the rims, wider and slightly bigger diameter. i like this rims very much. because it is felt much better handling on high speed, and when cornering.... compared to stock. especially since in indonesia there are none swaybar on the front and rear suspension. and also since in my country the sound proofing is so minimal i added it my self, i guess it's add few kg.

so to deal with extra weight, i need to gain some torque.... especially on the lower rev.

Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I wouldn't bother with much of any of that stuff.

Before doing a cold air intake, I'd make sure the factory intake is actually warm (which I doubt).

Before doing a filter replacement and/or intake rerouting I'd make sure there is actually a restriction (again I doubt this).

I highly doubt the grounds are not adequate, they can be improved upon I'm sure, but you're not pulling enough electrical power to see any real gains there.

ECU remap will do nothing unless you've done a good amount of changes to the engine already.

A header will gain you a little power and if its properly designed (which isn't likely) it could improve your fuel consumption as well. I haven't seen anyone who has designed or made one though.
    hi daox
    thx for your suggestion ,
    if you used some engine scanner, you could monitor the intake temperature. in my country the average it's around 60-78 Celsius during the day when ambient temp roughly 28-30c.it is could get hotter when stop n stuck in traffic jam. and the lowest i ever seen is 44 Celsius during raining night cruising on mild speed, if i stopped its jump to 50-55c. the ambient temperature is around 21-24c

i did some searching and mostly said, the normal is around 10c from ambient temp. and some also said that colder is better as long as not at freezing point, since colder air will increase the air density. because i'm not gonna use some water-methanol mist or other complicated stuff, my target is just to get as close as possible to ambient temperature ;D

well for the air filter... a lot air filter company advertise to have better air flow than stock filter.... and some testing do confirm this. well i got no knowledge to confirm this thou..

for the wire ground.. i agree with you i also had some doubt on this.... not sure how its could improve performance on brand new car... i ask this modification because in my country i often heard some people suggest and report they feel some improvement. maybe on old car where some rust already appear

for ECU modification..... yes i will put it on the last. maybe it wont gave significant power n torque boost on relative stock engine. but what i'm looking is to modified the power curve and add some switch *if i used unichip* to change ignition mapping manually, so it could deal with variety quality of fuel in my country faster, and some different usage, remeber knock sensor need time to detect knock everytime knock happen. and ecu will adjust timing until it knock stop. and it took some time.. even days. there's also possibility to change stoichiometric ideal Air-fuel Mixture of 14.7:1 to other ratio.. which is lean or rich, depend on usage. of course every modification there's always a risk. well i'm not a tuner so i dont know the detail.. please correct me if i wrong

other thing that bother my mind. if i used piggyback like dastek unichip, its required to cut some wiring .. so there's a risk on the long term durability, and also could void vehicle warranty...

currently i also used unichip on diesel toyota with +100hp and +200nm gain, been used its for 4 year fully satisfied with no issue. so i guess it's worth a try.

other method is ecu reflashing.. its popular on older mirage/lancer/colt and evo series because its doesnt need to add or change any component... and the software is free opensource built by community, we only need some special obdII cable sold relatively cheap price tag and connect it to a PC. and yes you could used it on multiple vehicle i have also mailed them and confirm it, that our 3A92 engine ecu is also programmable. they said what we need is mirage 2013 ecu definition, since its new car, currently no one built it yet.... usualy ecu definition built by enthusiast community. i hope there are some development soon... well i'm really new on this stuff. and very exciting to explorer it hehe is there anyone interested?or someone more experience on this stuff?

hahaha vote for turbo.....

some rumor said that mitsubishi gonna realease mirage evolution with 1.5ltr 3cyld turbo 150ps... well, hope so.. maybe gonna need new car

i hope they used same 3A92 basic engine with turbo.. so it's still relatively easily to add a turbo on our mirage

sorry if my english is not good, and a long post.....

greeting
    :beer:

8. The Following User Says Thank You to anginlumpur For This Useful Post:

Daox (10-25-2017)

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiec View Post
    Check the exhaust for any back pressure I use a turbo psi gauge if there is a few psi or more there will be room for improvement with a freeing flowing exhaust. That will give you a little more power and better economy under normal driving conditions. May not be worth trouble and cost though.
    turbo gauge, you mean boostmeter right? will it able to withstand high temp on exhaust? since mine only used plastic hose, that i found melting for several time,later i find out it is because i put it too close to exhaust

and also.. i'm thinking what kind of exhaust header suitable for our 3cyld engine? for 4cyld i read, they usually used 4-2-1 or 4-1 with some variation on diameter and pipe length. depend on what kind of characteristic you looking
    how about 3cyld ? 3-1 ?others?

thanks
    greeting

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    hopefully they sell lite turbo

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Yes it is a boost meter I used to connect it on to the EGR on some cars with an extension piece to remove some heat so I did not melt the plastic pipe.