Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts

Happy Arduino day!

Name:  11021-01c.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  42.3 KB

So yeah, they got a day for everything it seems. But, I happen to quite like the Arduino platform, so I figured I'd share and see if anyone else is into electronics here.

For thost that don't know what an Arduino is, its a very popular and quite flexible micro controller (tiny computer) used by electronics hobbyists. What does one do with an Arduino? The question is almost better asked what can't you do with it? An Arduino can automate many things.

I've personally used one to turn on and off a fan that blows warm air from my attic (warmed by the sun during spring/fall) down into my kitchen for essentially free heat. It uses two temperature sensors (one in the attic and one in the kitchen) to know when to turn the fan on and off. I've also started projects to make my own FAST key for my motorcycle (never finished), my own start-stop system for a car (also never finished), and a few other things. My current Arduino project is replacing the engine driven water pump on my Chevy Metro with an electric water pump. The Arduino will measure coolant temp and the MAP sensor to determine what speed to run the pump at. It will also run the coolant pump when the engine is turned off to give me heat while sitting at a stop light as I use a fair amount of EOC (engine off coasting).

Are there any other Arduino fans out there?

Oh yeah, and happy Arduino day.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I bought an Arduino a few years back to tinker with. Same with the Raspberry Pi. The only interesting thing I did with it was measure and graph (Arduino + Pi, with rrdtool I think) the temperature in my house air ducts. Did that to try to learn a little bit more about electronics. I'm in IT, leaning towards software/servers so my understanding is more of the remove/replace variety. I let the temperature sensor project run for a year or so. I could see when the heat or AC turned on, that's about it.

I inherited my dads tendency to for hobbies and projects. He has more stick-to-it-iveness than I do, and I'm more lazy, hence my non-running Ranger in the driveway. But I also never spend much on my hobbies, so I'm never out a bunch of money when I give up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wellswebdesign For This Useful Post:

inuvik (04-01-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Happy Arduino day to you too Daox! This is awesome, I relatively recently learned about the Arduino and am planning on doing evil genius stuff with them. I just have to finish up my Trigonometry book though before I get material on C Programming for the Arduino.

Any tips/advice for starting out?

-Charlie-

Mileage Miser
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Happy Ard Day!

I'm currently building a customized digital taplist for the keezer I'm putting together (I'm big into homebrew) based off this: http://raspberrypints.com/

It uses flow meters to let you know exactly how much beer you've pulled from a keg. Which is
    good considering kegs don't have sight glasses or other means of seeing how much beer is left
    besides guesstimating by weight or using a floating ball and magnet system, which is impractical for
    me.

Really excited to add a touch of tech to an otherwise no tech, ancient process... namely, gettin'
    people drunk!

Bikerfreind
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    I bought a Uno a couple of months ago, but did not receive it
    Would like to do a measure how dry the earth/ground is, and add a pump so it could water the area.. But i came up with a more easy and free solution for my garden projects ( Im not shure what these boxes are called in english ) so you have to see the link, to make up a name for it ?

http://www.bauhaus.dk/kapilaerkaesse...e-right-column

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Cool projects guys! Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Happy Arduino day to you too Daox! This is awesome, I relatively recently learned about the Arduino and am planning on doing evil genius stuff with them. I just have to finish up my Trigonometry book though before I get material on C Programming for the Arduino.

Any tips/advice for starting out?

-Charlie-
    When I started I knew enough programming to pick it up fairly quickly. My lacking area of knowledge is the electronics side (what components are out there, how to control them, how to troubleshoot issues, etc).

However, if you're looking to learn about the programming side I would recommend Practical Arduino. I have it and it has a bunch of examples of projects you can do with the Arduino. It contains wiring diagrams for each project as well as all of the code for each project, and it explains everything for you. I've learned a good amount from it even on the programming side. Other than that, I suggest just jumping in. Find a project you want to start messing around with and just start working your way through it. Do what you know you can do, and start researching the rest. There is tons of info out there for the Arduino and there are forums too for people to help you.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)