Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Auto Dynasty Lowering Springs from Amazon.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    We
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey namco sorry to set you off - didn't mean to light your fuse. To be honest, I am thankful that you - and others - have gone through the trouble to purchase a set of these, install them, and share your experience here on the forum. Thank you!

You are right - this is *your* review of the springs. In the end, nothing said here takes away from your enjoyment of them. So enjoy! Your experience is valued, no doubt. But I think you can appreciate that your interests simply will not be in line with everybody else here. There is too great a variety of interests here on this forum to expect anyone's opinion to fall in line one way or another.

What do you think - does that sound reasonable to you?
    I've looked through the threads and honestly it looks like there've been 4 people in total who purchased this set. 2 negative reviews 2 positive, so no side can claim majority.. And mind you noone is saying anything bad about fronts, it is the rears which get questioned. I could see springs potentially bottoming out on stock shocks, this is common for many lowering springs on many cars.

IMHO the set isn't as bad; at least springs are better than what came with TEINs. Good value for $68 shipped.

I am not running rears the same way as everyone else tried, If ride height is an issue there is a simple fix.

With regards to OP yes he might be a straight shooter and rough on edge but look at the cars he driven/owned, I'll bet he knows a bit on how car should handle. And personally my experience is similar.

Last edited by cyclopathic; 04-11-2016 at 02:22 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Car 2000lbs.
    Weight distribution 61%/39%
    Rear weight 39% * 2000lbs = 780lbs
    Weight per rear wheel = 390lbs

Static load per rear wheel is ~390lbs.

I will try snap a pic tomorrow morning showing ride height of 8". But it should be higher than what you have as we used spacers in middle section.

EDIT: we should probably take a deep breath and count to ten before we start saying something we will regret later. Apologies if I came across as insesetive in previous posts. We may disagree but we can do it with getting offending.
    Last edited by cyclopathic; 04-11-2016 at 02:29 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Mileage Miser
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    Car 2000lbs.
    Weight distribution 61%/39%
    Rear weight 39% * 2000lbs = 780lbs
    Weight per rear wheel = 390lbs

Static load per rear wheel is ~390lbs.
    Awesome, thanks.

So with 390lbs on each spring, resting, the first stage is fully compressed and you're then starting into the
    second stage, a fair bit even. This seems to correlate with what I was saying?

It's the shock/strut that dampens oscillations and controls most of the rebound, the springs take care of
    most the shock. So when most of the spring isn't available to absorb any shock right from the get go, doesn't that seem like a problem?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes shocks should be taking care of rebound damping but I don't think the OEMs were correct ones. Looking at the history of the suspension Daox collected rear springs got stiffer for 2015, but shocks didn't that, so there isn't enough rebound damping. So having a dual stage springs could be a work around?

On TEINs OEMs were too high and in addition would cause seesaw on "rolling wave" pavement. And would top out on potholes due to height. AD are staying stable on wave and not topping out on potholes due to 1” lower height and lower rebound rate. They seem to be a good match.

From what I can say 1st stage only gets enguaged on potholes when wheel sinks and for the most part it states ~1.5" compressed into 2nd stage. If you want to measure 2nd rate you need to compress ~4"+ and then see how many pounds it will take it to get to 5".
    Last edited by cyclopathic; 04-11-2016 at 03:21 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:

Littlestan (04-11-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Let me explain it again: this is dual rate springs. They are designed to have one rate on compression and different on rebound. What is it for? To prevent suspension from oscillating. When you have different resonance frequency for rebound and compression it would keep suspension from resonance.
    I have never heard of progressive rate springs being intended to prevent oscillation. I originally heard it was for ride comfort - an ability to absorb bumps better than a stiffer spring, and provide a more comfortable ride. Another benefit is to help keep the wheels in contact with the road, rather than lose contact on bumps - a potential hazard - for everyday driving (important for companies to manage liability these days.)

This article discusses progressive rate springs in the context of improved comfort.
    Linear vs progressive rate springs | Automotive Thinker

This article discusses progressive rate springs in the context of roll control.
    Linear vs Progressive Rate Suspension Springs | Hyperco (Hypercoils) Motorsports Performance Handbook

I don't see how a simple coil spring will have one rate on compression and another on rebound - given the same length of travel.
    I understand a damper/shock absorber can have a different response on compression and rebound, but not a coil spring. I would like to better understand you on this point.

I've looked through the threads and honestly it looks like there've been 4 people in total who purchased this set. 2 negative reviews 2 positive, so no side can claim majority.. And mind you noone is saying anything bad about fronts, it is the rears which get questioned. I could see springs potentially bottoming out on stock shocks, this is common for many lowering springs on many cars.

IMHO the set isn't as bad; at least springs are better than what came with TEINs. Good value for $68 shipped.

I am not running rears the same way as everyone else tried, If ride height is an issue there is a simple fix.
    The price can't be beat, it's true. But I don't see the benefit of a dual- or progressive rate spring if the first stage is blocked out. You have had to modify yours to address this effect. It's similar to installing a coil spring spacer here.

From what I can say 1st stage only gets enguaged on potholes when wheel sinks and for the most part it states ~1.5" compressed into 2nd stage. If you want to measure 2nd rate you need to compress ~4"+ and then see how many pounds it will take it to get to 5".
    This makes some sense here. However, my thoughts are to have this first stage available for compression loads as well as drops into chuckholes.

On TEINs OEMs were too high and in addition would cause seesaw on "rolling wave" pavement. And would top out on potholes due to height. AD are staying stable on wave and not topping out on potholes due to 1” lower height and lower rebound rate. They seem to be a good match.
    Other factors that contribute to a 'seesaw' effect include the wheelbase, ride height, damping, vehicle weight, etc. While I have experienced some minor seesaw effect, I attributed it to the road surface at the specific speed traveled, and not to any design deficiency.

With regards to OP yes he might be a straight shooter and rough on edge but look at the cars he driven/owned, I'll bet he knows a bit on how car should handle. And personally my experience is similar.
    I'm not questioning your, or namco's experiences on cars. I am, however, trying to understand the benefits of this particular set of springs on these cars - but from a different perspective.

I did not buy this car to be a sports car. I bought it with it's original design purpose in mind - transportation that is inexpensive to purchase, inexpensive to operate, and reliable. If I want sports car handling, my money would be better spent on a platform that was designed for it from the start - and spend at least three times as much money in the process. I guess I'm at a point in my life where I don't seek to race my car around on public roads, endangering mine or other peoples lives, upsetting other drivers. That is better done on a track.

I'm not opposed to improving things with this car, and it will be fun to tinker with it. At this point, I don't think I would be inclined to spend much money trying to make this car into something it wasn't designed for in the first place. In addition, I'm still concerned that lowering the rear suspension on these cars will make alignment problems worse.

Performance driving? I would look into German imports - out of my price range. An Italian exotic would be pretty sweet, though. I wouldn't mind a Lotus, either.

Off road? I would get a Jeep.

Get around town without spending a lot of cash? The Mirage will do just fine as it is.

I'm glad you are enjoying driving around on these springs, and are sharing your experience here with me. From your description, I don't think I would choose them, for the reasons I have listed. I am thankful for your time discussing them here.

Cheers!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

91cavgt (04-11-2016),cyclopathic (04-11-2016),inuvik (04-11-2016),Littlestan (04-11-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Try not to repeat just complement previous posts.

To seesaw effect: having similar resonance frequency of front and rear could cause it. It is quite possible that having TEIN fronts and OEM rears could have caused it.

Q: what is the purpose of having 1st stage if it is completely locked out? Wouldn't it be better to have 2nd stage enguage on compression?
    A: yes no maybe. I have driven a car with such setup and in that particular case it had a split personality. Meaning it would understeer at some conditions, yet could be oversteered with proper weight transfer. Would not recommend could be quite dangerous.
    A: in AD springs it is used to reduce rebound force and ride height.

With regards to installing spacers it was mostly done to increase ride height. Would keep it from squeaking and damaging paint too.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    looks like they're the same ones as the Maxspeeds I used to have.

the rears were pretty soft and i can compress them too by hand.. but not as soft as that in the video.

I really vouch for H&R's since the Progressive spring design really helps in the comfort side

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Dual rate springs. The idea is that while you DD they can give a smoother ride than straight stiff springs. So when you hit a bump its not hard as a rock. Then, under hard cornering, the soft portion locks out and you get stiffness aka stability.

As we've all said the rears are locked out. Rather they are too soft or designed that way who knows. Which means a stiff ride, great for track, crap for daily.
    Last edited by namco; 04-13-2016 at 02:04 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Got to drive a car again, and wanted to add clarification on bottoming out subject.

Yes they will bottom out on big bumps (mind you much less than TEIN adjustables from coilover kit), but in my opinion it is not due to stiffness, it is due to reduced stroke. While the idea of dual 50lbs/175lbs rate is sound, problem is that the middle "locked" part is too big, and effectively in addition to 1.5" lowering it is also taking another 2-3" out of stroke. Which is in a part compensated by stiffer spring.

Unfortunately on many occasions the stroke is defined by size of the bump as at higher speed car will not get a chance to jerk up, not by the spring rate. This would not be an issue if you rarely load car and don't live in area with big potholes/bumps.

The Eibach and similar designed springs with more modest difference in rate (say 160/100lbs) would inherently have more available stroke, and would work better in such conditions.

From measurements it looks like the effective stroke of AD springs is ~4", and on OEMs it is 7", big difference.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I installed these the other week. I decided to only install the fronts for a while. Rears are dumb easy and wanted to wait to see how these settled.

Front installation is very straight forward just took an hour with some good tunes and a bottle of suds.

Immediately after installation and pushing down on hood to compress them a little, I measured front and rear heights from bottom of wheels center hub to the lip of the fender at center. I had 15" in the rear if I remember correctly, and the fronts were the same. But after a week it's clear they have settled a little more. Haven't measured it yet but I will next week. Then I think I will install the rears. I will do the 1/4" ID vinyl tubing trick though!

Here are some pics

2015 Mirage Base 5MT with A/C! Custom modified eBay roof rack, Auto Dynasty lowering springs, relocated License Plate, enabled OEM Fog Lights & Cruise Control