Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: I was able to Enable OEM Cruise control of my 2014 Mirage DE 5-speed Manual.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by InTim View Post
    I found a 2015 Outlander steering wheel on ebay. All I needed was a Toyota VCI cable and the free ETACS software. Mounted the new steering wheel at my 2015 Mirage DE. Everything plug and play, then flashed the MCU with both cruise control settings on.
    And it's working fine, cruise and multimedia controls. But am I right, that there is no indication light at the dashbord beside the cruise on/off light?
    I had an Outlander for a loaner and right away noticed the steering wheel seemed to be a nicer version of that for the Mirage. Glad to hear it worked out for you.

I have a few questions:
    1. Were there any problems or concerns with the airbag?
    2. With a side-by-side comparison, what differences have you noticed between your two steering wheels?
    3. What tools were needed for the swap?
    4. Any further plans or usage for your VCI adapter?
    5. ANY PICTURES?? lol

P.S.: I wonder if the VCI could be used in any way to deal with TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) such as checking on the sensors. Hm...

Last edited by Eggman; 12-15-2016 at 08:01 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I had an Outlander for a loaner and right away noticed the steering wheel seemed to be a nicer version of that for the Mirage. Glad to hear it worked out for you.

I have a few questions:
    1. Were there any problems or concerns with the airbag?
    2. With a side-by-side comparison, what differences have you noticed between your two steering wheels?
    3. What tools were needed for the swap?
    4. Any further plans or usage for your VCI adapter?
    5. ANY PICTURES?? lol

P.S.: I wonder if the VCI could be used in any way to deal with TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) such as checking on the sensors. Hm...
    1. No. Just disconnect the ground at the battery, then use a round tool with a flat tip (the manual recommends a T30 screwdriver)
    to unhook the spring which is holding the airbag in place. There are no screws.

2. I don't know if the Outlander steering wheel is different in quality to the Mirage leather steering wheel. But it feels very good. Compared to the vinyl thing in the DE Mirage it's luxury.

3. T30 screwdriver or similar for the Airbag, 17mm socket and ratchet for the nut which is securing the steering wheel. VCI cable, laptop and Etacsdecoder

4. I already used the adapter to activate the ambient temperature display and to enable the fog lights. One can set a lot of things with it, including tire diameter, fob behavior and so on.. If you test the cruise and multimedia controls with unplugged airbag, you need to clear the fault memory. That's also possible with this device.

Unfortunately I haven't found any possibilities to set the TPMS or add a fob or transponder key.

I will publish pictures tomorrow. Today I mounted and wired a Gentex rear view mirror with auto-dim, compass and temperature. Drove 50 miles today with cruise. It keeps the rpm lower then feet throttle. Like it.
    Last edited by InTim; 12-16-2016 at 01:43 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InTim For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-07-2017),Eggman (12-16-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    1. No. Just disconnect the ground at the battery, then use a round tool with a flat tip (the manual recommends a T30 screwdriver) to unhook the spring which is holding the airbag in place. There are no screws.
    I understand a T30 screwdriver is a Torx driver and does not have a flat tip. Maybe I misunderstand what you mean by 'flat tip'.

2. I don't know if the Outlander steering wheel is different in quality to the Mirage leather steering wheel. But it feels very good. Compared to the vinyl thing in the DE Mirage it's luxury.
    Are the steering wheels the same size (diameter)?

3. T30 screwdriver or similar for the Airbag, 17mm socket and ratchet for the nut which is securing the steering wheel. VCI cable, laptop and Etacsdecoder

4. I already used the adapter to activate the ambient temperature display and to enable the fog lights. One can set a lot of things with it, including tire diameter, fob behavior and so on.. If you test the cruise and multimedia controls with unplugged airbag, you need to clear the fault memory. That's also possible with this device.

Unfortunately I haven't found any possibilities to set the TPMS or add a fob or transponder key.
    How do you like using the free ETACS software? Could you provide more details on how it works? From what I understand, one is able to extract data from the vehicle but must use an online service from overseas to modify.

I will publish pictures tomorrow. Today I mounted and wired a Gentex rear view mirror with auto-dim, compass and temperature. Drove 50 miles today with cruise. It keeps the rpm lower then feet throttle. Like it.
    Where did you wire this?

And thanks again!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I understand a T30 screwdriver is a Torx driver and does not have a flat tip. Maybe I misunderstand what you mean by 'flat tip'.
    Are the steering wheels the same size (diameter)?
    How do you like using the free ETACS software? Could you provide more details on how it works? From what I understand, one is able to extract data from the vehicle but must use an online service from overseas to modify.
    Where did you wire this?
    - I'm talking about a tool with a flat round surface at the end. Like a torx screwdriver.
    - The steering wheels have exactly the same size.
    - please use google for etacsdecoder. It's working only with online connection. A certain amount of modifications are free of charge, if you use it more often you have to pay a small amount.
    - Ground and ignition 12V. I still have to mount the temperature sensor and wire it.

I only have a picture of the whole thing assembled. Sorry

LARGE IMAGE
    Name:  DSC_0775.jpg
Views: 1910
Size:  92.5 KB
    Last edited by InTim; 12-16-2016 at 06:37 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to InTim For This Useful Post:

Rockabilly Manta (02-17-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When setting up the Mini VCI did you have to jump through all the hoops of a 64 bit windows system or did you happen to have a 32 bit system to work off of. Even with the walkthrough I am having issues getting the drivers lined up using my 64 bit system.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkt Ship View Post
    When setting up the Mini VCI did you have to jump through all the hoops of a 64 bit windows system or did you happen to have a 32 bit system to work off of. Even with the walkthrough I am having issues getting the drivers lined up using my 64 bit system.
    I used a mut3 clone as I was leery of the mini vci's but having said that I used an old 32bit XP 10 inch netbook to make things easier and still had issues loading the drivers....and that was with a clean install of XP with no other software on the disk.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    MiniVCI and 64 bit Win10 work fine together.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to InTim For This Useful Post:

Rockabilly Manta (02-17-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Neither the automatic driver when you plug in the device or the driver from the disk worked

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Looks like it is better to buy the MiniVCI 64bit version better.. no wonder that cost more!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Do we have part numbers for brake and clutch switches?

I just ordered a steering wheel from a salvage yard.